Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10th Anniversary without Padme

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

10th Anniversary without Padme

Postby Artizan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:52 am

i dont understand how TLG havent come up with any Padme Amidala minifigs since that awful podracer set. it's been 10 ten years and no Padme! come on Lego, she's one of the most important characters in SW universe...what's your opinion?
Artizan

Re: 10th Anniversary without Padme

Postby Turkguy19 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 am

My opinion, no set would make sense with her in it.
Turkguy19

Postby Walter Kovacs » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:18 am

Like Turkguy19 said, there just aren't that many sets that Padme could be a part of. She was only in two action scenes in the movies, from what I remember (re-taking Theed Palace and the Arena on Geonosis), so the sets that she could be associated with are pretty limited.

A Geonosis arena style playset would be an interesting possibility, especially with the large creatures, but the amount of new molds needed (for said creatures) might be a major deterrent. The only other possible set I can think of would be a Naboo Royal Starship. Would one of those sell well enough to warrant putting it into production?
UCS TIE Project: 10 down, 35 to go!

My Brickshelf Page
Walter Kovacs

Postby Big C » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:43 am

Best Anniversary EVAR! :D
Big C

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:47 am

Artizan wrote:since that awful podracer set

That was a great set!
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Crusader » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:17 am

Lego has put characters into sets without a direct connection many times in the past. Their reasoning seems to be to sell more sets. A perfectly good reason as far I'm concerned. Plo Koon comes with the latest gunship, even though he had the briefest of scenes in the movie. I can't recall seeing him in a gunship yet in the TV shows either. Kit Fisto came with Obi-Wan's latest starfighter--there didn't seem to be any attempt at a connection there. A host of classic characters come with the current X-wing set.

The upcoming shuttle would have been a perfect set to include Padme in. Personally I think most boys, even with their aversion to cooties, would have picked Padme with a blaster over Nute Gunray. A typical parent buying a set for their kid would be more drawn to a set with her and C-3PO than the fairly obscure and unbelieveably pathetic Trade Federation leader.

So I don't buy the argument that she doesn't go with a vehicle. I also don't think that Lego marketing has done the math right on including her in a set. She has to be a fairly easy minifig to make--just throw her in a random Clone Wars set and watch it sell.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 am

I agree with Crusader here. If LEGO can put a Lobot minifig in the Cloud Car set, than putting a Padmé/Queen Amidala minifig in an Episode I, II or III set shouldn't pose a problem either.

This is the ONLY major character of the prequels that has been largely ignored in Star Wars LEGO sets so far. Heck, Jar Jar Binks, who everyone mostly hates, has appeared in more sets than Padmé so far...

Messa thinks that stinks!
Daz Hoo

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:53 pm

I'm with Crusader, too. Several unrelated characters have shown up in various sets throughout the years (which I won't name to avoid being redundant). Padme could easily get tossed in with a Royal Naboo Starship, Flash speeder, or shuttle of some kind (good point, she could have made an appearance with the new Separatist Shuttle). Also, as LEGO has been getting more into playsets recently, she would be a mandatory inclusion in any Theed Palace set or a Senate Chamber set.

Further, Padme's big "moment" was in the PT, so this begs the bigger question: is there a chance we'll ever see any new sets derived from the PT movies? Or are we now stuck only with CW and OT? Of course, I am a purist and a big OT fan, but I would be more open to some new PT sets than a bottomless supply of CW sets. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:27 pm

She'll be in a Clone Wars set sooner or later. Keep your pants on. ;)
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby BigBenKenobi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:29 pm

GIR3691 wrote:She'll be in a Clone Wars set sooner or later. Keep your pants on. ;)

Good point there. Also, we do have through 2011 to get some more set with Padme, so I'm not that concerned.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:00 pm

GIR3691 wrote:She'll be in a Clone Wars set sooner or later. Keep your pants on. ;)

People have been saying about the same thing (loose the "Clone Wars" part and insert any of the prequel movies) since 1999... Sorry, but those kind of "predictions" are getting REALLY old by now.
Daz Hoo

Postby OOM-9 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:36 pm

Well I'd have to agree with GIR3691 considering she has been appearing in the Clone Wars series a lot I'm quite sure LEGO will put her in a CW set soon.
OOM-9

Postby infallible » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:46 pm

Yeah, but do we want her in a Clone Wars set? If that's the case, then the only version we'd have would be in the CW style. I can handle them re-making figures in CW style, but like creepy Palps in the Venator, I'm not sure that this is what I'd want for the main version.
infallible

Postby Jettbacca » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:03 pm

If they make a Malevolence set, then presumably she will be in it. She's not too major in the Clone Wars series though
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:

People have been saying about the same thing (loose the "Clone Wars" part and insert any of the prequel movies) since 1999... Sorry, but those kind of "predictions" are getting REALLY old by now.

Yes, but the likelihood of her appearing in a set went way up since the new TV series features her a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if we see her in fugly minifig form, maybe in 2010. I really don't like Padme at all, so I really don't care one way or the other.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby natelite » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 pm

You would think they reuse the leia/castle queen's hairpiece as amidala's. not sure why they didn't.
natelite

Postby Andi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 pm

How can you not like her? She's the mom from Luke and Leia.

I would prefer her in a not fugly version, but actually I can't think at any possible set right now. Only maybe a re-release of a Flash-Speeder.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby BigBenKenobi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Andi wrote:I would prefer her in a not fugly version, but actually I can't think at any possible set right now. Only maybe a re-release of a Flash-Speeder.

I don't really think they can make Padme really fugly...they'd really have to try hard to achieve that. Yes, I'll admit it, when I saw Episode II for the first time in the movie theatre, I had crush on Padme. She was totally hot ;) !!! Anyways, eventually, we'll see a clone wars set with Padme in it. I'd put my money on a set early next year.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby theJudeAbides » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:07 pm

I don't understand why they couldn't have thrown her in with the Republic Attack Gunship, which we saw her in in Ep. II. What did they give us instead? A bunch of clones that we could just have easily gotten in a battle pack.

What about an Arena set with Anakin and her in that little chariot-thing (that they're brought in on). Heck, they could throw in some brick-built creatures (the ones that they fight) and include Obi-Wan as well. They could even go all out and give us regular and conveniently-ripped-shirt torsos for Padme.

What about a set with that carriage thing that she is carried in after she dies in Episode III? What about the Royal Naboo Starship (the all-silver one) seen in of Ep. II? There could be a small "great leaders" diaroma with her, Boss Nass, and a few other characters. Come on LEGO, think, be creative: it's what you supposedly do. Unacceptable.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby yankeeken » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:38 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:What about a set with that carriage thing that she is carried in after she dies in Episode III?

I don't think a dead Padme set would be very popular amongst kids and their parents. ;)
yankeeken

Next

Return to Star Wars