Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Charity Update!

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Re: 1st Annual FBTB Charity Drive

Postby BlueDragonZ » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:43 am

Ace, the Charity drive has now been posted in the toys n bricks website.
http://toysnbricks.com/blog/support-fbt ... ity-drive/
BlueDragonZ

Postby onions » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:56 am

Took you long enough ;)

Thanks for the coverage!
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Septemris » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:42 pm

What a great project. I'm in fo' sho'!
© Bernard
Septemris

Postby onions » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:11 pm

as of this morning (sunday 11/29), we've hit 300 donations :shock:
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Diaaabo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:26 pm

I've done my part :) Reminded me of a portuguese AFOL who has a project with some hospitals in which kids are building replicas of soccer stadiums in LEGO with the help of some volunteers.

Btw, in case I win, will there be extra shipping fees, since I'm in Portugal?
Diaaabo

Postby onions » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:43 pm

Diaaabo wrote:I've done my part :) Reminded me of a portuguese AFOL who has a project with some hospitals in which kids are building replicas of soccer stadiums in LEGO with the help of some volunteers.

Btw, in case I win, will there be extra shipping fees, since I'm in Portugal?

nope. shipping is free express mail.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Tar » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:48 pm

I love this charity. Ill be getting some tickets before the deadline. C'mon folks, GIVE TILL IT HURTS!!! XD
Tar

Postby Obi-Wan Skywalker » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Tar wrote:I love this charity. Ill be getting some tickets before the deadline. C'mon folks, GIVE TILL IT HURTS!!! XD

My head or my wallet? The head already hurts.
Quoting Firespray
There is no Ace, The Ace is a lie.

My flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/42848399@N03/
Obi-Wan Skywalker

Postby onions » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:36 am

We interrupt your reading of LEGO Deals For December 13-19 for an important message from the staff:

We here at FBTB have been working diligently the past few weeks bringing you news on sales deals from all over the web and retail outlets. If you’ve saved money from our hard work, please consider donating a portion of your savings to the 1st Annual Charity Drive benefiting Child’s Play. It only takes $2.00 USD to help make a difference for needy children hospitalized during the holidays. The drive ends 11:59pm Sunday December 20, that’s in one week! Check out the charity drive page for all the details. Or to donate directly, hit the button below:

Thank you. We now resume broadcasting already in progress.

onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:04 am

As of yesterday, December 19 9:34pm PST, the FBTB charity has hit its lofty goal of 500 donations! And to celebrate hitting such a major milestone, I am changing a few of the terms of the charity:

1) 50% of the first 100 donations was originally intended to be used to cover the cost of the set and prize delivery. FBTB will eat the cost of both, so now 100% of every single donation will be go towards Child's Play. Of course, "100%" was still a misnomer, since Paypal deducts fees for everything. This brings me to my next point:

2) Paypal's fees for donations are actually quite hefty: something like 2 or 3% + 30 cents, and a tad more if you're paying from outside the U.S. .... or was it inside? In any case, the net amount from each donation averaged $1.63USD. So after 500 donations, FBTB would have $820 to donate give or take a few dollars. Now, FBTB will absorb the cost of the Paypal fees, and make sure Child's Play will get every penny that you readers have sent my way.

In case you're wondering, I have no idea if Paypal dings Child's Play the same fees. But in the end, they will still be getting money that I am proud to say came from fans of LEGO Star Wars.

There is still nearly a full day to donate if you haven't done so. And for everyone who took the time to donate multiple times, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your generosity renders me speechless.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Darth Maul » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:36 am

I have done quite a few transactions with Paypal, and the fees that you mentioned are deducted only when someone receives the money. Paypal won't charge you to send the money, but they will apply the fees to the person who receives it. It is annoying, but at least the fee won't be applied twice.
Darth Maul

Postby ricefields » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:49 am

Darth Maul wrote:I have done quite a few transactions with Paypal, and the fees that you mentioned are deducted only when someone receives the money. Paypal won't charge you to send the money, but they will apply the fees to the person who receives it. It is annoying, but at least the fee won't be applied twice.

In paypal you do not get hit with fees as long as the sender indicates when paying that they are making a personal payment from us dollar balance or from their account. It used to be free for the sender too but now paypal charges 15 cents for the sender. It used to be free for a personal account to receive but now it depends on the sender selecting the right choices when sending the payment.

Ace,

So to guarantee that child's play gets all their money, its better to pay the lump sum donation/contribution in one payment via paypal and pay the 15 cents than to merely send it and have 3% deducted from their donation.

its the same with cashback rewards, the recipients as far as I have been involved for many years, never got hit with fees for receving cashback, even though they go to my premier paypal account or my personal paypal account.

PM me if you have any questions.
ricefields

Postby onions » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:21 pm

ah, thanks for the tip ricefields. it's possible that paypal may have eliminated their processing fees for child's play. i always had the intention to contact the organization and ask about that.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby irmasturcheeflol » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Are you going to announce the winner of the drawing?
Series 1: Cowboy, Indian, Clown, Diver, Spaceman, Zombie, Robot, Forestman, Skater.
irmasturcheeflol

Postby Chief » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Are you kidding? It *just* ended. Holy cow.
Chief

Postby Mofo Jones » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:03 pm

Actually, I don't think he was kidding. There's a bit of a leap involved in his logic, but from a quick read of the raffle/donation details, cut and pasted from the original post by new daddy Onions:

* Prize packages will be mailed out on December 21, 2009 via USPS Express Mail, just in time for Christmas.*

* – Delivery by Christmas determined by destination. For the USPS Express Mail timetable, visit the USPS Shipping Calendar site. Prize packages will be mailed out December 21, 2009.

So, because the packages were originally scheduled to be shipped out on Monday, it's a possibility that a winner would have been announced at the same time. Granted, I don't think that Ace was taking early fatherhood into consideration when he made the original post, so a reasonable delay could and should certainly be granted due to the situation. Still, the question was valid, considering the published dates of the raffle/donation.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby bigj22 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:08 pm

so who did win?
bigj22

Postby Chief » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:29 am

Congrats big winnahs! And everybody who donated: you rock!
Chief

Postby Alpha 40 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:38 pm

Congrats! Its nice that all of that money went to a good cause.
And also finally somebody else who lives in CT.
Alpha 40

Previous

Return to Community Features