Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The End of an Era: Bionicle To End January 2010

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: The End of an Era: Bionicle To End January 2010

Postby RocketClone » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:54 am

Bionicle went IMHO downhill after the Nuva line.
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby Crusader » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:03 am

Lego hired me back in 2001 to build a 10' version of Onua out of foam (Onua was the black Bionicle with big claws). For a few weeks in January 2001, I had the only Bionicle in existence in North America (the guys in CT had to give me theirs so I could scale it up). So even though I never collected the line I've always had a soft spot for Bionicle.

After the Toyfair I never saw it again, have any of you guys ever seen him at Legoland? He doesn't call, he doesn't write...
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby Tyrant » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:50 am

onions wrote:Let me put all rumors to rest, and i'll use red, big font, and blink to let you know i'm serious:

BEN 10 WILL NOT REPLACE BIONICLE. THERE WILL BE A NEW LINE BY LEGO TO REPLACE BIONICLE.

I'm pretty sure no one was saying that Ben 10 would replace Bionicle. Everyone was talking about the part that pretty clearly outlines a third party line (licensed) that is coming in January. Ben 10 is the obvious choice for that. I know I also addressed the other portion which says LEGO is also making a new line and I wasn't the only one.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby Raequan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:15 pm

I've been a fan of Bionicle from Day 1, but once we started getting 12-piece sets for $8 I started losing interest. I had hoped that LEGO would keep the Glatorian line going for one more year, but what're you going to do, eh? Bionicle was LEGO's second-longest theme after Star Wars, so it had a good run.

Goodbye Bionicle, I knew thee well.
Raequan

Postby Blacknight » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Raequan wrote:Bionicle was LEGO's second-longest theme after Star Wars, so it had a good run.

Isn't something like Town a longer running theme?
Blacknight

Postby BrickDeth1123 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:00 pm

I was a moderate Bionicle fan, mostly back during the early days up until the Metru Nui line came out. I'm glad it had as good a run it did though, and like that it's ending where it is. I thought the all the newer stuff wasn't all that interesting compaired to the older sets and storylines. Got abit too out there with the underwater and Gladiator themes stuff.

I purchased the Tahu set from the Stars line a few days back, and plan to get a few more. My only gripe with these sets (and some sets before these, I noticed) is that they're so bland looking. All solid pieces, with no technic pins and whatnot anymore. Really takes the "Bionic" look out of the characters, honestly.
BrickDeth1123

Postby Captain Typo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:57 am

Personally, I think this has been a long time coming...

I collected 6 of the 7 original Toa, got all the Bohrok, and a couple other sets here and there, and, while I was subscribed to Lego Club, followed the Bionicle comic books that came with the magazine each month. But then I realized that the whole Bionicle line goes basically nowhere... Let me explain;

Step 1: New heroes introduced (Toa, Toa Nuva, Blabbingtons, etc.)

Step 2: Villains to counter said heroes are introduced (Rahii, Bohrok, Rakshii, Poopyheads, etc.)

Step 3: New "boss" character introduced to tip the scales in favor of one side or another (Makuta, Takanuva, John-Bobby, etc.)

Step 4(a)[optional]: Previous heroes are recycled by receiving upgrades of some sort

Step 4(b): Previous heroes die/vanish into obscurity to make way for new heroes

Step 5: Repeat process, beginning at step 1.

Think about it... There are maybe a few notable exceptions to this rule, but otherwise, that sums up the strategy pretty well, yes?

So once I figured this out, I decided to pretty much turn a blind eye to the whole thing. To this day I have no idea what the heck happened to the orginal Toa, except that pretty much the only way to find out about it was by reading some random book...

But despite my personal pleasure at this news, I'm surprised that they're completely doing away with such a major cash cow just to basically experiment with a replacement... :S
"Yippie-ki-yay, my friend."

-John McLane, Die Hard With a Vengeance- The TV Edit
Captain Typo

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you

Postby Master Fetty » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:58 am

Captain Typo wrote:I collected 6 of the 7 original Toa...

I thought there were only six to begin with?
Master Fetty

Postby THX 1138 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:19 pm

^Typo's including Takanuva.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby legofett » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:54 pm

I first remember getting one in a mcdonalds happy meal at age 6 or 7 2001 I never kept up with the story or comics but I got a few, they were a big part of my childhood not because I bought them but because in general stores, or pharmacys (that tend to have some sort of Taboo of carring small system sets) always had bionicals instead.

RIP Bionicale you were cool and welcome while you lasted.
And I do not welcome money-oriented Ben 10 lego sets. >8(
legofett

Postby jedi_master_sal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:14 am

Hmm, well I bought into this line early on, but never did anything with them. I suppose I'll just sell off my Bionicle collection. While they've all been built, they all are neatly stored in their original containers.

I thought they were neat back in the day, but after the first 3-4 series of these, they just became boring for me.
jedi_master_sal

Previous

Return to Original Themes