Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[US] Toys'R'Us Cooking Something Up Sweet for Black Friday?

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

[US] Toys'R'Us Cooking Something Up Sweet for Black Friday?

Postby Staff » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:51 am

UPDATE: Allow me to apologize for allowing my own fanboy excitement to possibly make this out to be more than it ever was. Apparently, as a strictly LEGO Star Wars collector, who doesn't collect other Star Wars items like others, I read "figure" and thought "minifigure" while others thought "action figure". And that that makes sense, since TRU stocks an exclusive Commander Ponds action figure. As it appears at this moment, Home One will likely be coming free with the action figure and not a new minifigure. How a LEGO set and action figure together make a desirable combination, I don't know, but if that's your cup of tea then Black Friday will still be good to you.  If you drink some other brew, until there is further information to the contrary available, you all can file this under the proverbial "kool-aid" folder.

As your resident Sales & Deals guru, I am doing my research to help you all save money on our favorite plastic obsession, including this fall on Black Friday--the mother of all shopping days. I came across a really interesting something in an early release of Toys'R'Us's Black Friday ad that I know you all would want to know:
LEGO Star Wars: The Clone Wars Fan's Vote Anniversary Edition - Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser (7754)
Our Price: $109.99
FREE Star Wars Commander Ponds figure with purchase!

What? The Home One is not, I repeat not, on sale, but it comes with a cool gift apparently! What I read into this is that if you buy a 7754 you get something else more, a minifig! Is this minifig a mini-set, or just parts? Who knows. It is a vague text-only bit of intriguing information. Help us in the community learn more about this and I'll update you as details come in. Be sure to comment on this post's related discussion topic in the "Finds" forum.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2009/10/22/us-toysrus-cooking-something-up-sweet-for-black-friday/
Staff

Re: [US] Toys'R'Us Cooking Something Up Sweet for Black Friday?

Postby bigospedros » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:52 am

might it not just be a free Hasbro type figure ? Afterall ... it doesn't say the free gift is lego based.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Navy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:05 am

Actually there is a Commander Ponds actionfigure exclusively to TRU. I would expect to have one of these as a give-away.

http://www.rebelscum.com/TCWexPonds.asp
Navy

Postby bigospedros » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:52 am

aie, that's the kind of thing I was thinking about ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Jedidale » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:20 am

The free gift is the Hasbro commander Ponds Action figure. It retails for $12.
Jedidale

Postby onions » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:40 am

fbtb: confusing readers since 2009

:lol:
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby copyright » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:22 am

laugh it up fuzzball :lol:
Jeremy/Copyright -:- FBTB member since 12 Apr 2002
8 years on FBTB and still a n00b
copyright

Postby MShiels » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:17 pm

I gotta say, that's the worst Black Friday deal I have ever seen on LEGO. For quite a few years now, Target/Tru seemed to always have something special to offer at silly prices. LEGO must be doing much better so they don't have to make any super discounts like that anymore? Wow!
ImageIf near Mississauga, come visit us at 2410 Dunwin Drive, Unit 5 - your local Ontario LEGO only store - TRUly the largest selection of LEGO around
And out Bricklink store is http://Shop.LastingToys.Com
MShiels

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:32 pm

Buy a highly overpriced $110 lego at full price, get an action figure. A steal for sure!
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Crusader » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:23 am

Let's just hope that Target and Walmart don't dissapoint this year. Last year the Star Destroyer at Target for $60 was a great deal, and Walmart had the King's Castle Seige set for about $60 or so too if I recall correctly.

Toys R Us also had the MTT on sale for I think $50 around Christmas time last year too. It wasn't a Black Friday deal, but a midweek sale a few weeks before Christmas. Unfortunately it was posted on this site just a little too late for me to get it. Possibly the only time that FBTB has let me down.

Toys R Us of course seems to get the January wave before everyone else and usually you can get lucky and nab a new set early. The arrival of new sets under the Chritmas tree are excellent proof of Father Christmas as far as my sons are concerned.

My real point is that it's too early to gripe about Black Friday sales.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby BrickSith206 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:06 am

I'm just surprised that TRU would pair LEGO with Hasbro product considering the two companies are not the best of friends. For those that don't know, hasbro sued Lego claiming the rights to "star wArs action figures" and the ability to sell those individually. The decision in that suit is why Lego sells their "action figures :)" as "magnet sets."
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby onions » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:14 am

BrickSith206 wrote:I'm just surprised that TRU would pair LEGO with Hasbro product considering the two companies are not the best of friends. For those that don't know, hasbro sued Lego claiming the rights to "star wArs action figures" and the ability to sell those individually. The decision in that suit is why Lego sells their "action figures :)" as "magnet sets."

I don't think TRU cares.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby BrickSith206 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:34 am

onions wrote:
BrickSith206 wrote:I'm just surprised that TRU would pair LEGO with Hasbro product considering the two companies are not the best of friends. For those that don't know, hasbro sued Lego claiming the rights to "star wArs action figures" and the ability to sell those individually. The decision in that suit is why Lego sells their "action figures :)" as "magnet sets."

I don't think TRU cares.

A statement I agree with. However, there is another part of the equation, and that's TLG. I would think LEGO would need to sign off on said promotion considering the promotion involves another brand, especially having personally seen their joint marketing agreements for resellers. I seriously doubt TLG would let another toy brand piggyback on their brand's success.

It would be the first time I have ever seen a "buy this lego set, and get this other non-lego toy free" type of campaign.

Of course, all this is merely speculation until the ads make it out.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby The Brain » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:21 pm

I thought they did a similar promotion a little while back, but I may be thinking of somewhere else. It was something like "buy $75 worth of SW LEGO, get a free Commander Keller figure". The figure of course was not LEGO, but that doesn't make it a nonsensical bonus--it's all Star Wars, after all.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby copyright » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:13 pm

BrickSith206 wrote:It would be the first time I have ever seen a "buy this lego set, and get this other non-lego toy free" type of campaign.

Thanks for helping everyone understand how I came to an assumption that the giveaway was a minifig. :facepalm
Jeremy/Copyright -:- FBTB member since 12 Apr 2002
8 years on FBTB and still a n00b
copyright

Postby meeotch » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:33 pm

TRU may also have some particular clause in their contract with various tow companies that allows them (TRU) to market their exclusive items in ways that run-of-the-mill items can't.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Return to Finds/Deals