Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO room lighting

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

LEGO room lighting

Postby sid » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:43 pm

I am working on getting some more lighting in my lego room and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions from past experience. The room is in the basement and wonderfully has no window so I have no sun damage possibilities, the down side is the room is dark with a low ceiling. Tried some LED rope lighting, but it wasn't bright enough. I am hoping to not have anything "permanent" as it may have to be restored to a normal bedroom at some point.
sid

Re: LEGO room lighting

Postby BigBenKenobi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:51 pm

You could always buy some track lighting to put up if you wanted to. That would probably work out pretty well, and be fairly easy. And, the best part is that they are not permanent. You can take them down if you decide to do so. You will be left with some holes in the ceiling, so you would have to patch them, and possibly some touch up painting. How do I know this...in my old house, when we moved in the previous owners had put up so track lighting to display some artwork, and my parents took them down without problems. Hope that helps a little with your problem.

Link to home depot lighting: Track Lighting
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby sid » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I would have to run electrical for the light and switch to do track lighting and for some strange reason the previous owner insulted the ceiling and made running new cable in this room a real pain, I am hoping to be able to plug something in or run it off batteries in the extreme.
sid

Postby BigBenKenobi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:16 pm

With some track lighting, you do plug them in to a wall outlet, and do not have to run an electrical cabel to them...which would probably work better. The cable from the lighting runs down the wall, and can be hidden. That was the kind my parents took down in our old house. I'm sure if you went to a Home Depot or Lowes or even looked on their websites, you could find what I'm talking about.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby sid » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Had never heard of plug in track lighting, I will definitely look into that, thanks!
sid

Postby keds » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:20 pm

My Lego room is also in the basement with low ceilings (7ft) and no outdoor light. My solution, which I've been using for almost 2 years and am still very pleased with, was to hang a 4 ft fluorescent shop light about 6 inches below the ceiling and above my work surface. The light fixture I bought plugs into the wall, has a pull chain, and only required 2 small holes in the ceiling.

If you decide to go this route, make sure the light fixture uses T8 bulbs(efficient) and an electronic ballast(no hum). I personally like a very white light so I use bulbs with a color temperature of 5000k. Cool white bulbs are about 4100k and tend to be slightly pink. I bought the light at walmart for 15 dollars then went to lowes (best selection) where I got two bulbs for 8 dollars.

Hope this helps in your decisionmaking :)
keds

Postby FirstCircle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:15 am

Ikea has lots of bizarre small lights to light furniture (like this to light the shelf or space below). Some of these are corded to run off of A/C and some are battery powered. The trick with this stuff is to use a lot. Slap a small lamp under every shelf and you'll illuminate the items below and add some nice, soft lumens all around the room.

This is just a suggestion to help fill in light aside from whatever overhead light you choose. And these small items are easily removable. Not only will these lights showcase the shelf displays, but they'll add a "homier" feel to the room and it'll add a touch of class (as long as you tuck away the cables if any are present).

My friend decorated his trophy room with this stuff and it looks pretty slick.
My BrickLink store, Jabberwocky's Emporium.
FirstCircle

Return to General LEGO Discussions