Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Indiana Jones 2009: First Impressions?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: LEGO Indiana Jones 2009: First Impressions?

Postby GMan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:56 pm

I heart the new Indy sets. I think if I get them, though, I'll get the ambush and graveyard sets, because those are the smallest, and probably the cheapest. I'll wait 'til the end of the year to grab any of the bigger ones.
GMan

Postby Dr Scott » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 pm

Oh man! The Ambush in Cairo set is utterly fantastic. I had figured that the Indy line wasn't doing so well, but I'm sold on all of the new sets, particularly those from the original films. I'm really happy this line is continuing.
Dr Scott

Postby Flynn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:35 pm

I completely love how the Temple of Doom looks, I'm definitely getting that one. The bost chase is also on my list, but the plane battle one is just too much for such bland-looking planes.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby iLike Lego » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:27 am

Yep. I'm getting Ambush in Cairo, Temple of Doom and Venice Canal Chase for sure! (Not to be confused with "Venison Anal Case".)
iLike Lego

Postby Jettbacca » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Temple of Doom is great but crazily overpriced. Should be in the 60s CDN not the 90sCDN!
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 am

Azaghal wrote:As for the 2009 Indy line . . . the Shanghai Chase, Cairo Market, and Venice sets are the ones that really grab me shouting "BUY ME RIGHT NOW!" The KotCS graveyard is kinda neat, but doesn't quite have enough oomph for this cash-starved hobbyist, and the rest just don't interest me much.

Agreed! As another cash-starved hoobyist, that's the three that I would go for too. Nice sets with good figures but not too big. I'd think about getting the flying wing 'cos it was always kinda cool in the movie - but the money it would take needs to be earmarked for some of the up-coming Star Wars stuff...
Blue Squadron

Postby dewback trooper 9 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:05 am

I can agree with most on here that I'm looking forward to the new 2009 sets. I haven't been a fan of the kingdom of the crystal skull sets though, probably due to the movie. The sets from the classic set have been great. The flying wing set didn't end up looking as good as I hoped it would, but still a good design. The boat chase looks good as well as the mine cart from temple of doom. I'm just hoping there will an inexpensive way to expand the track since it appears to be a little short. I'm not sure on the 2 planes though (sorry, can't remember the set name). Is it just me or they appear to be a little "bulky and blocky" looking? Please let me know if i'm out in left field on this one.
dewback trooper 9

Postby Dr Scott » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:47 pm

I was wondering how easy it would be to extend the tracks on the Mola Ram set too. I'm hoping that the tracks are generic LEGO train tracks.
Dr Scott

Postby Darth Caedus » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 pm

Only the Chinchilla set is dull to me. I really like the fighter plane set and the Mola Ram temple is awesome. My favorite is the Venice Canal Chase, lego fez! Plus, Elsa XD

The Cairo ambush set is awesome as well, that's what I feel more Lego sets should be like, they're far more affordable than massive fortresses or overpriced ships.
Darth Caedus

Postby Marty » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Some hit the mark and some didn't?

The Chase set is excellent! A good mix of figures and some nice cars into the bargain.

The flying wing, Brilliant! The plane is well made and sturdy the characters fit into it nicely, my only fault with it was the stickers, Lego should have given two pages of stickers with this set due to the way they fit onto the wing, it's tricky when you first look at it and you can easily make a mistake with these.

As for the sets shown at the toyfair.

The venice set, I wouldn't have gone this way myself, as I would have made the Library set where "X" marks the tomb of the knight complete with rats?

I like the Marion's kidnap set but where's the monkey and his keeper?

I love the temple of doom, has some interesting characters complete with a roller coaster?

PLane chase, I have no comment, except to say the cabin of the airship would have been nice diorama where a certain guy gets chucked out the window?

Overall, the sets are improving each year, there are main characters that are missing, like Toth, Salac & Brody but I'm sure Lego has these awaiting in the wings, well done Lego, I didn't think you could top the SW theme but this is a start, Marty.
Marty

Postby BobaFett » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:24 pm

I have mixed feelings about the Indiana Jones license. I was very exited about it in 2008, but the line has fallen from the place I have wanted. The sets all have lacked detail. I do not pay money for an incomplete set, like that horrible Crystal Skull playset. The new year has some promise, although I will have to see the sets before I buy them. At this point I will not be buying any of the new sets.
BobaFett

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Since it's now clear and alright to discuss the newer Summer sets, I have to say I'm fairly impressed. The sets at the start of the year were so-so, with only the Shanghai Chase really catching my eye as stated in an earlier post. However, I honestly would love to own everything that's coming out for the Summer. The Temple of Doom set just looks gorgeous, I thought it would be very obvious to create a Lego verison of that famous sequence. The minifigures in all the sets are amazing-I'm glad we get Indy without his Jacket as it's just iconic a look as Indy with the jacket on, and the various costumes from the movies, particularly Marion's pretty Cairo dress and Willie's Pankot Palace outfit, are beautifully-translated into Lego form. I'm glad that we get a very good mix of vehicles and playsets and even vehicle/playsets this year. The Akator Temple was simply horrendous, and I'm glad that the Chauchilla cemetery just might give me the chance to own a Lego crystal skull for cheap. Realistically, the Cairo Ambush and Venice Boat chase sets are at the top of my list. Beautiful stuff!
Jedd the Jedi

Postby dWhisper » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:02 pm

I gave up buying the Indy sets long ago, but the Ambush set will probably find its way to me, simply for the figures, honestly, since I can always use more fleshy options for my custom jedi (in my Star Wars world, there are tons'o'Jedi). But otherwise, the sets have been too much BURP most of the time, not enough building fun. The best set was the first and cheapest, the Bike Escape from Last Crusade, with the brick-built sidecar, and the brick-built jeep from the same time. After that, not all that interesting, and that includes most of the 2009 stuff in my mind.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Blondie-Wan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Dr Scott wrote:Oh man! The Ambush in Cairo set is utterly fantastic. I had figured that the Indy line wasn't doing so well, but I'm sold on all of the new sets, particularly those from the original films. I'm really happy this line is continuing.

Not doing well? I don't know where you'd get that impression; from everything I've read, the line's been a huge success so far - TLC itself has even confirmed in press releases both last year and this one that this license got off to a great start:

Good start for LEGO Indiana Jones
Net turnover for the first half of 2008 was DKK 3,555m compared with DKK 2,959m during the first half of 2007.

Classic product lines such as LEGO City and LEGO Star Wars continue to do better than expected. In addition, the new licensed line LEGO Indiana Jones has sold extremely well – especially on the North American market.

Classic play themes such as LEGO City are still among the largest product lines. LEGO Star Wars also achieved extensive growth in 2008, and moreover the launch of the licensed product LEGO Indiana Jones was very successful.

Hooray! :D

Anyway, I am totally excited about the new sets. I just hope I can keep up with them; I hope the same for Star Wars, but that seems a lost cause at this point. I'm really going to try my darndest to get all the Indy ones, though, at least.
Blondie-Wan

Postby noobswatter » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:46 pm

Jedd the Jedi wrote:the Cairo Ambush and Venice Boat chase sets are at the top of my list. Beautiful stuff!

Huh? I haven't heard about THOSE two sets. May I have some pictures or somthing , because this is ALL news to me.
noobswatter

Postby onions » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:20 am

noobswatter wrote:
Jedd the Jedi wrote:the Cairo Ambush and Venice Boat chase sets are at the top of my list. Beautiful stuff!

Huh? I haven't heard about THOSE two sets. May I have some pictures or somthing , because this is ALL news to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/no_onions/ ... shincairo/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/no_onions/ ... analchase/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/no_onions/ ... ianajones/

http://www.fbtb.net/features/toy-fair-2009/
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Draykov » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:37 am

While a feature to shorten overly long URLs is a welcome substitute to 1000 character links that make the page all stretchy, that is one misleading truncation.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Draykov wrote:

While a feature to shorten overly long URLs is a welcome substitute to 1000 character links that make the page all stretchy, that is one misleading truncation.

lmao
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby dWhisper » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:55 pm

That post wins the internet... I have to say. I read it a couple times before it dawned on me
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:00 pm

Erm...Bookaroo, that's very sweet of you to say about putting a smile on your son's face. However, that playset was released last year to tie in with the Crystal Skull film. Actually, it looks pretty terrible compared to this year's sets now that I can see it again. I'm glad I didn't get that, probably I can save up to buy the A nal oops, I mean Canal, chase. :lol:
Jedd the Jedi

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes