Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lego Minifigure Cake Mould Review

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Lego Minifigure Cake Mould Review

Postby Crusader » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:31 am

In case you were wondering, this is what I'm reviewing:

http://shop.lego.com/ByCategory/Product ... n=13&d=443

I bought this for my eight year old's birthday party, and I'm reviewing it as a cautionary tale.

First off, it's a very small mold. Basically it makes a 12" high minifig cake. You can make three to possibly four cakes, just from one normal cake-mix box. The good news is that you get three cakes from one mix, the bad news is that unless you have multiple molds, you'll be baking numerous times.

The mold comes without instructions, so you have to guess how much batter to add (slightly less than 2 cups is what we tried) and how long to bake it (about thirty minutes worked for us).

The result is a cute minifig cake. The details like the eyes come out fairly well. However, I'd like to stress that icing the gorram things is a long process, especilly if you're using multiple colors. Unfortunately many of the details get lost by using icing. The hands were no fun at all. And the end result was a bit more kiddish than cool looking.

Now I'm not a cake decorator, so some might have better luck than me. With shipping and tax it came to $24. 20/20 hindsight, I would have been better off getting a sheet cake, icing it white, and adding the new Echo Base set as a diorama.

My five year old did enjoy eating the Lego man's head though, and I enjoyed cutting it off. So it was not a total loss.

It might make a better brownie mold, and I'm sure it would work fine as a Jell-O mold.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Re: Lego Minifigure Cake Mould

Postby RocketClone » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:23 am

What kind minifigure molds are there personally i would like a darth vader one ;) .
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby SuperDave » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:28 am

It's just a basic minifig mold. You could add detailing for a Vader fig, but you'd be on your own for the helmet.
SuperDave

Postby Crusader » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:46 am

A Darth Vader cake would be hard using this mold. 12" of height just isn't big enough to hold details with icing. I'm sure the Ace of Cakes people could pull it off fine. As I wrote before, my review is a cautionary tale. If you're not a cake decorator your results will be cute, but never awesome.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Re: Lego Minifigure Cake Mould Review

Postby KDubsMom » Thu May 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks for this review and the info on the bake time. (which is what I was looking for) I am about to make this cake for my son's birthday. I had the idea, and it could be an epic fail but (going to to a test run first) I thought about using the mold to bake the cakes and then filling in the mold part way with those candy melts and then letting it harden, then place on top/around the cake so that it looks "plastic". It "sounds" easy enough LOL! I would then use those cookie writing markers to color on the details to look like his favorite star wars lego guys.
KDubsMom

Postby HKMum » Mon May 24, 2010 8:00 am

Hi,

Bought this pan at LegoLand last month. It was only $5. Hope it comes out well for my son's party next month. KDubsmom, do keep us posted on yours. Anyone got photos to share
HKMum

Postby GrayMattR » Wed May 26, 2010 3:54 am

Making Jello with this would be cool. You could also melt chocolate and pour it in to harden in the mold.
GrayMattR

Postby Diaaabo » Wed May 26, 2010 8:06 am

GrayMattR wrote:Making Jello with this would be cool. You could also melt chocolate and pour it in to harden in the mold.

Chocolate would take forever to harden in silicone... I talked to my pastry chef some days ago because I wanted to make brick-shaped chocolates with the silicone icetrays, and he said it's not a good option at all.
Diaaabo

Postby SuperDave » Wed May 26, 2010 8:38 am

You have your own pastry chef?
SuperDave

Postby Draykov » Thu May 27, 2010 7:35 am

That's how they roll in Portugal.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Diaaabo » Thu May 27, 2010 2:37 pm

LOL not *mine*, but the one who teaches me, at the Cooking/Pastry school I attend. For working with chocolate, the best option is hard plastic trays. If you don't want to buy professional equipment (which is expensive), you can just buy lots of boxes of chocolates and save the plastic trays. Or you can make some experiences at home to get a minifig or brick mould :P
Diaaabo

Postby SuperDave » Fri May 28, 2010 11:20 am

Ahh... I see now. By the way, I love the roll/Portugal rhyme.
SuperDave

Postby dude4life » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Great. Not even available any more in the US
dude4life

Postby Kaminoan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:24 am

We picked one up before they left the US and it is an odd cake, I have to agree with the brownie or jello option. The jello could be cool, you could give him guts, brains, etc and I am sure kids would love that.

Jared
Kaminoan

Postby tomnkatesmum » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:06 am

Hi guys, have seen your posts about the Lego silicone cake mould.

My son is desperate to have a Lego Minifigure Cake for his birthday, i've looked everywhere and cannot find one.

Are any of you interested in selling yours?

You'd make a nearly six year olds day!

Many thanks
tomnkatesmum

Postby plebeianprint » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Almost as cool as the old Boba Fett cake pan my mom used to have.

It would be awesome to cast it in Jell-o and put edible "body parts" in it, and play an edible form of Operation. Buzz sounds not included.
plebeianprint

Return to Reviews