Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[US] Target Stores 10% on New Star Wars

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

[US] Target Stores 10% on New Star Wars

Postby Staff » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:44 am

Thanks to forum member theDude for the heads up on this one...

Both online and in-store this week beginning Sunday (today), all LEGO Star Wars is 10% off. While this isn't much, it includes all the new Star Wars from the Fall launch, so for those of you (like me) who can't patiently wait for the clearances, this is a nice little savings. It is also a cheaper way to get your grubby hands on a Republic Fighter or Pirate Tank, the hard to find Target exclusives that history tells us will not make it to clearance before sell-out.

Search "Star Wars LEGO" on the target website or go in-store today!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2009/08/16/us-target-stores-10-on-new-star-wars/
Staff

Re: [US] Target Stores 10% on New Star Wars

Postby DarthMC » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:13 am

In the weekly ad they also have the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid for 19.99 which is 20% off

DarthMC
DarthMC

Postby brownie69yov4 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:19 am

Yes the Tank droid is $20 (20% off), usually when there is a sale, one set is 20% off, while the rest in the line are 10% off. This works out well for any one who is thinking of opening a credit card or has a 10% off employee discount which can be used in junction with the sale.

br()Wnie
brownie69yov4

Postby meeotch » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:39 am

Yes, that's correct about the one item being a larger percentage off than the other. It's so they can picture that one set in the ad with a larger price point, then in smaller print, say something like "Other selected sets also on sale."
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:30 am

That makes the Tauntaun set a bit more reasonable.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby BrickSith206 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:21 am

This is a fair deal....unless you live in an area that charges 9.5% sales tax thus nullifying the sale. Oh how I miss the days of 50%+ discounts. I find the comment about "sure to sell out before clearance" completely false. I stockpiled quite a few RFT's at prices that would make most think they were stolen.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:26 am

I don't know about you guys, but my state is also having a "sales tax-free" week on top of this.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby brownie69yov4 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:17 pm

Gir,

That is funny you should mention that, my GF was just telling me about no sales tax days, we live in Ohio, not sure if we are due to have one but it would be great

went to my local target, (sawmill) picked up battle of Endor set, payed a little more then 10% off with my employee discount plus tax. was hoping to find the pirate tank, but no such luck
brownie69yov4

Postby mattdiss » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:57 am

At my Target store in northern Indiana, the Republic and Pirate tanks were notably missing the temporary shelf tag that announces the reduced price. All the other sets did have the tag, so I think these two sets might be excluded from the sale. I did not, however, take them over to a price scanner, so I can't say for sure.
mattdiss

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:39 am

GIR3691 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but my state is also having a "sales tax-free" week on top of this.

Yea, I don't think us Californians will ever see anything like that anytime soon. It'd be a mad house considering tax is over 9% in some places.
Gooker1

Postby meeotch » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:22 am

mattdiss wrote:At my Target store in northern Indiana, the Republic and Pirate tanks were notably missing the temporary shelf tag that announces the reduced price. All the other sets did have the tag, so I think these two sets might be excluded from the sale. I did not, however, take them over to a price scanner, so I can't say for sure.

They are not part of the sale. But I was noticing something interesting as I was looking at the Lego aisle at work yesterday. Even without the sale, on a per-piece basis, the RFT is still the best deal there. It appears to me that Lego's new formula for calculating MSRP here in the states is to multiply the piece count by 10 cents, then round UP to the nearest x9.99, unless there's less than a 2 dollar increase, in which it needs to increase by 7 to 12 bucks. This even applies to the non-licensed themes. Not so with the RFT. That things's still 49.99 for about 570 pieces.
meeotch

Postby RocketClone » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:54 pm

anyone know how long this lasts? i get paid friday. :S
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby meeotch » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Target sales always run Sunday morning through Saturday night. Just be careful not to confuse a "Sale" with a "Temporary price cut" which can have a variable length of time.
meeotch

Postby Seasian » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:46 pm

The two limited sets are not on sale.
Seasian

Postby Puddleglum » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:48 pm

meeotch wrote: But I was noticing something interesting as I was looking at the Lego aisle at work yesterday. Even without the sale, on a per-piece basis, the RFT is still the best deal there. It appears to me that Lego's new formula for calculating MSRP here in the states is to multiply the piece count by 10 cents, then round UP to the nearest x9.99, unless there's less than a 2 dollar increase, in which it needs to increase by 7 to 12 bucks. This even applies to the non-licensed themes. Not so with the RFT. That things's still 49.99 for about 570 pieces.

The only explanation I can think of here is that it's a $50 set with only 2 minifigs, which is normally the number of figs you expect in a $10 set. But it really is a lovely model, and it's not like there's a bunch of technic pins or other parts of limited value inflating the part count. The largest quanties are, in order, white cheese slopes (18), white 1x2 tiles (16), dark red 1x2 plates (15), dark red 2x4 45 slopes (12), white 1x1 bricks (12), and white 1x1 tiles (10). It is, on the whole, that rare combination of a great-looking model, made of useful parts, at a very attractive price:part ratio.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby GIR3691 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 am

GIR3691 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but my state is also having a "sales tax-free" week on top of this.

As it turns out, it's only on clothing purchases under $300, which seems useless because I believe we had that anyway.

I went to Target and looked at what they had. They had the Droid Tank, Echo Base, Endor Bunker, Republic Cruiser, Y-Wing, etc... on 10%-20% off, but nothing really wowed me to buy. I'll hold out a bit longer for deeper discounts on these.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby BrickSith206 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:24 am

meeotch wrote: It appears to me that Lego's new formula for calculating MSRP here in the states is to multiply the piece count by 10 cents, then round UP to the nearest x9.99, unless there's less than a 2 dollar increase, in which it needs to increase by 7 to 12 bucks. This even applies to the non-licensed themes. Not so with the RFT. That things's still 49.99 for about 570 pieces.

That's a fair parts/price ratio to use, and one I've used for a few years to predict the price points of soon to be released stuff. However, with every rule, there are many exceptions. :) I've used examples on both sides, some are much less than .10 per piece, some are more.

Brickbeard's Bounty: 99.99/592 pieces
Soldier's Fort: 49.99/367 pieces
Taj Mahal: 299.99/5200ish pieces
Eiffel Tower: 199.99/3200ish pieces
Death Star: 399.00/3200ish pieces
Medievel Market: 99.99/1601 pieces
AT-OT: 249.99/1700ish pieces
Titanium Command Rig: 99.99/706 pieces
Green Grocer: 149.99/2352 pieces

Disclaimer: The "ish" piece count is solely from memory. All the actual piece counts are accurate, I took them right off the boxes that I can see from my desk. The numbers are telling a story, one that seems to look like LEGO is looking to cash in on their non-licensed themes as they are including less and less elements each year but still driving the cost up.

I know if you plotted them all on a chart, separated the unique elements away from the common ones, you would find which exact elements are driving the costs of each set.

/END senseless analysis.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby fredjh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:50 am

BrickSith206 wrote:That's a fair parts/price ratio to use, and one I've used for a few years to predict the price points of soon to be released stuff. However, with every rule, there are many exceptions. :) I've used examples on both sides, some are much less than .10 per piece, some are more.

Well.... really it's just a ballpark number anyway, a terribly rough number.... the Star Wars sets are WAY over $0.10/piece (on a relative scale). Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal and Medieval Market Village... those include a LOT of smaller pieces (1x1 and 1x2 plates, for example). Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower don't include minifigures.

Then you have to look at the other pieces... ship's hull or rowboat in Brickbeard's bounty is worth a lot more than a 2x4 brick.

So I look out for the $0.10/piece "magic" ratio, but I temper that with the more interesting pieces that come with the set... in other words, you're right in implying that you can't simply use this as a rule by itself.
fredjh

Postby BrickSith206 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:29 am

fredjh wrote:
BrickSith206 wrote:I know if you plotted them all on a chart, separated the unique elements away from the common ones, you would find which exact elements are driving the costs of each set.

Well.... really it's just a ballpark number anyway, a terribly rough number.... the Star Wars sets are WAY over $0.10/piece (on a relative scale). Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal and Medieval Market Village... those include a LOT of smaller pieces (1x1 and 1x2 plates, for example). Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower don't include minifigures.

Then you have to look at the other pieces... ship's hull or rowboat in Brickbeard's bounty is worth a lot more than a 2x4 brick.

A ratio is a statement of how two numbers compare. It is a comparison of the size of one number to the size of another number. It's a very basic mathematical formula used in this situation to levy the price of a certain set, over the quantity of pieces in said set, giving you a base cost per piece. Therefore, making it not a rough number, but a valid calculation based on the information readily available to everyone. Clearly, the numbers were not pulled out of thin air. The Star Wars line is definitely not "WAY" over .10 per piece. A few are right there at .10 per piece, most of the sets are around .11-12 per piece, and even a few are below .10 per piece. There is only one that just seems way out of line, and that is the AT-OT @ .14 per piece. FYI, Blackbeard's Bounty comes out to .17 price per part.

Formula: Cost of set/pieces in set = price per part in set.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby Puddleglum » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:59 am

BrickSith206 wrote:There is only one that just seems way out of line, and that is the AT-OT @ .14 per piece.

The worst part is that 1700ish part total includes over 200 Technic pins of various types. (Pins, not axles) I know they’re not useless parts, but I think it’s safe to say that most of us have more Technic pins that we could ever use at one time. The AT-OT seems like a cool set, but as a parts pack the value is not there.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Next

Return to Finds/Deals