Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

View New Posts button

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

View New Posts button

Postby bigospedros » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:14 am

I've noticed, over the last couple of weeks, that the list of new posts when I press the "View New Posts" button just keeps getting longer and longer. There doesn't seem to be any cut off in terms of what it deems as "new". If I press said button today, there are 9 pages of results, leading back to a post made on 27th July ... this is hardly new.

Is there a problem here that can easily be fixed ? I would expect this button to show me the new posts from when I last visited the site only.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Re: View New Posts button

Postby hatcher » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:37 am

My guess would be that unless you read them, they will continue to show up as "new". If you read them, they should no longer be new. If not, then I'm out of ideas.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:49 am

Seems to work fine for me - "Search found 6 matches" and the results shown are exactly the new ones since my last visit a few hours ago. I had never noticed there was a "New Posts" button until now - so far I''ve always selected unread articles by colour (red vs. blue)...

All 6 are shown in blue, as I had already read them before I got to yours. So it looks like "new" and "unread" are not the same.

My browser is Firefox 3.0.13.

EDIT: Logged out and back in again - "No suitable matches were found." So the system has twigged that those posts are no longer new to me.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby bigospedros » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:38 am

hmmm, logging out and in again cleared the history ... maybe it was a caching / cookie issue on my laptop ?
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Andi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:37 am

But i never log out, and "View new posts" did work till last week. Now it shows me 10+ pages.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby bigospedros » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:32 am

Andi wrote:But i never log out, and "View new posts" did work till last week. Now it shows me 10+ pages.

exactly, I am glad I am not the only one!

hence me asking if the logic behind this option has somehow changed ?
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Joedward » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:42 am

I had up to 7 pages yesterday. But now it's back to it's small <1 page. And I think it happened before I logged in on another computer.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby lens314 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:03 am

bigospedros wrote:
Andi wrote:But i never log out, and "View new posts" did work till last week. Now it shows me 10+ pages.

exactly, I am glad I am not the only one!

hence me asking if the logic behind this option has somehow changed ?

Me three...if i remember right, I had this issue with another forum, somewhere there is a setting for timing out automatically logged in accounts for the time of your last visit, if you stay logged in. On that board its ~24 hours, but I only check that board once every 2 or 3 days.
-lens314 flickr
lens314

Postby Jetrooper » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:30 pm

The problem isn't with the site. It's your browser/cookies.
Jetrooper

Postby bigospedros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Jetrooper wrote:The problem isn't with the site. It's your browser/cookies.

i just deleted every single cookies related to FBTB and had to re-login and it made no difference I'm afraid!
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Andi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:56 pm

By me too. No difference at all.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Andi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:12 am

Ah, by me it was the problem, that I had checked the "stay logged in" on another computer as well.
I now logged out there, and now the "View New Posts" works very well on my computer again.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby bigospedros » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:05 pm

I've been using this forum, with the "keep me logged in" button checked, on two computers, since I joined ... so you fix may just be luck. That is, unless the mods / staff have changed something?
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Puddleglum » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:51 pm

I stay logged in at two computers, and for me, I always have a very long list. (Currently, it's 16 pages). I always just assumed it was more like "Vew Newest Posts", instead of "View New Posts". I actually prefer it the way it is because I don't always look at all the posts when I stop by.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby Solo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:30 am

My view new posts page is actually 14 pages, and I'm here all the time. I'm also "stay logged in"'d on at least three computers. I've just gotten used to it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Return to Suggestions