Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Toy Fair Coverage - 2009

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

FBTB Toy Fair Coverage - 2009

Postby Draykov » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:53 am

Forgive me if I'm jumping the gun, but since Ace is already uploading pictures on Flickr and since it seems kind of silly to start a new thread for every set he manages to upload shots of today, I went ahead and started this. Again, sorry if I'm stealing anyone's thunder in doing so. With that out of the way:

Creepy fugtoon Emperor...nice shawl (I do think the hair is awesome, though).

Maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age, but this doesn't look like $120 worth of LEGO to me.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: FBTB Toy Fair Coverage - 2009

Postby Drock » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:08 am

Hmmm...I like that ship. I will probably get one eventually. (Though my budget is pretty constricted right now after just buying a new car).
Drock

Postby Flesh Skywalker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:09 am

I love the holographic Death Star, but that's not worth me buying the whole thing. Home 1 looks awesome. I hope for more Hoth and Endor pics.
Flesh Skywalker

Postby Masta' Bo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:18 am

I wonder how many pieces are in the Home One, Ace's photostream didn't say.
These prices are really starting to scare me. If Hoth is over 40 USD, I'll barf.
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Postby OOM-9 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:23 am

Palpatine really scares me! Reminds me of E.T. XD
OOM-9

Postby CoR3Bu » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:10 pm

Sweeeeet! I can't wait to get my hands on these babies!!!
The only thing I don't like is how high the prices are, they make my want to
punch myself for not saving up! I only have 28 bucks right now
BUT... I get 120 bucks for my birthday and Christmas! I'm so happy Lego
made these hot sets!!!
Masta' Bo wrote:If Hoth is over 40 USD, I'll barf.

same here.

Colonel Reaginal Bulstrode, to atten...woooowww those are awesome!!!
CoR3Bu

Postby BigBenKenobi » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:41 pm

. :lol: Palps is really fugly...like Anakin when we first saw him. Man, I've been thinking all along what great sets we have this year, but the combined price of all the sets I really want, I don't even want to think about it even though I have to. And now with the AT-OT, which I have decided I will get, I may have to postpone getting some other sets till later or never. Thank goodness my birthday is in April...my mom always lets me get a lego set or two of my choosing for it XD .
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby Flesh Skywalker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:43 pm

Good, US$24.99 for Echo Base!!!!! For 155 pieces, I would have prefered $20.
Flesh Skywalker

Postby Turkguy19 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:47 pm

With the large mold for the Taun Taun, there was no way it was gonna be $20.
Turkguy19

Postby BigBenKenobi » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:49 pm

Flesh Skywalker wrote:Good, US$24.99 for Echo Base!!!!! For 155 pieces, I would have prefered $20.

$20 USD would have been much more reasonable in my opinion. But then again, these will sell so...I guess 15 cents a brick is the new 10 cents unfortunately.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby Turkguy19 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:00 pm

When there are large, molded pieces in a set like the Taun Taun, the price to parts ration isn't going to be 10 cents. Look at the Cantina Set, the General Grievous Chase for example.
Turkguy19

Postby Draykov » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:20 pm

BigBenKenobi wrote:...I guess 15 cents a brick is the new 10 cents unfortunately.

For licensed lines and Star Wars in particular, I think that holds very true, yes.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Flynn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Well, I think I may limit my SW spending this year to just Endor & the Mid-scale MF, that way I'll have more money for IJ and Agents.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby lordvader208 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:42 pm

Alright here are my opinions on all the new sets:

First off is the LAAT and AT-OT set:

At first impression, I was shocked that TLC even made this set because no one saw it coming. But I looked at it, and it doesn't really look that great. I don't know if it's supposed to be that way, but the AT-OT looks ugly because it's missing the whole top. And secondly is the extraordinary price. 1700 pieces for $250?! I'm not getting this one. The minifigs aren't even good enough for minifig collectors to want this set.

Next, the Home One:

Ok the pictures show that this set is indeed bigger than I had thought. But $110? I thought TLC said they would make this set under $100. Maybe it's the TRU markup. But anyways, it's so nice that I have to find a way to get this. Nicely detailed control room and the minifigs are the best part. The A-wing looks great, but I just wish it were red.

The Venator:

This is one that is somewhat a "must get". New palaptine minifig with the crazy face and the senate guards are indeed new molds and not just a blue clone helmet. I really think the death star hologram is a nice little detail. If you're looking for an interior, you're not gonna get much, because most of it is made up of detachable parts such as the escape pod, gunning station, pilot station, etc. But if you look at the chancellor's room, it is amazing. That table actually looks nice and I will take this tiny but detailed interior over the ISD's big but plain and ugly interior. It's a good thing that the escape pod opens up and is not like previous versions. $120 sounds reasonably and that's what I predicted in the first place. :)

Anakin's Y-wing:

It's a lot nicer and sleeker than I thought, but I already have a Y-wing so I will pass on this one. The price per piece ration is fine as it is

Endor:

Wow this one is nice. Too bad that Home One and Venator are so expensive already that I won't have a chance of getting this one. But looking inside the hanger, it's not too great but at least it opens up and is easily customizable, not to mention playable. The AT-ST is comparable to the UCS one and the new ewoks are very nice. I'm not sure whether the grey ewok is unfinished or what but it looks awkward. Nice speeder bikes, strange ewok glider (I think it should be made of plates instead of cloth but oh well), and nice minifigs overall with lots of detail.

Separatists Shuttle:

The price is what I had imagined and it's well worth it, because of the minifigs. I guess that minifig is Nute Gunray and a Greedo-type minifig that I completely forgot the name of, but they both looks nice. The ship is just okay but it's good that it does open up.

Tank Droid:

$5 more than it really should be and based on the pictures, there isn't much. The pictures don't even have the clones with the jetpacks, so I'm still kind of confused. But the tank droid is really nice and looks a lot better than the previous one.

Finally Echo Base:

Again, $5 more than it should be, but the minifigs make up for it. Nice rebel helmets and taun taun is more detailed than I thought.

So in conclusion, the best part about these new sets is the minifigs but I think TLC went overboard with the prices. Still not sure about Home One because I don't know the piece count yet, but it cost way more than I had predicted. A lot of these sets are must haves that collectors need to get. However, I'm still wondering why the pirate tank and mid-scale falcon weren't there. :S

So... I have narrowed down my wish list to the Venator, Home ONe, tank droid, and echo base
lordvader208

Postby etcknight » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Man, this may be wrong - but I am so excited about the Venator and Endor sets!! Now that we've got some clearer pics, they look freak'n frak'in googly-moogly awesome!!! :shock:
etcknight

Postby CoR3Bu » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Hey, guys I just noticed that the new Separatists tank droid comes
with new jetpacks(you can see on the box) they have a little inlit in between the
two jets! http://www.flickr.com/photos/no_onions/ ... 819221413/
Siiiiccckkkk! Its like Boba Fett's head piece with helmet part cut off!
Nice one,Lego! I actually think that the new Venator class Cruiser is pointless and that no one should get
it. That "thing" won't stand a chance against the Separatists!

My 2009 buy list is:

Mid- Scale MF
Home 1 playset
Echo base
Sep. Shuttle
Sep. Tank Droid
Pirate Tank

Colonel Reaginal Bulstrode, Let's give these high prices a kick in the butt, men!

Note from Don: I've had a few complaints about people using too many smilies in their posts, so consider this an official warning. I removed ten from this post alone. I appreciate your enthusiasm and everything, but go easy on the emoticons or I'll have to start disabling some of your features.
CoR3Bu

Postby drfeelgood » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:07 pm

In all honesty, id prefer it if home one was just the breifing room with the figures. it would make a nice little display peice and the price could be more withen peoples budget. I miss the days of the 20 to 30 pound set. The endor set is awsome, but once again way too expensive. Will be interesting to see how there priced over in the UK, hopefully Lego understands that were currently in a recession and even collecters are having a job affording these things, let alone familys. :)
drfeelgood

Postby Masta' Bo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:36 pm

I'm so releaved Hoth is only $25! How can anyone complain?--2freakin' snowtroopers, 2 rebels, Han, and a sweet Taun-Taun! How can you honestly be mad its $5 "overpriced"?

I'm lovin' the Home One and Hoth, they are must buys due to the new molds. Well, there goes $135 already.

Next comes the Seperatist Shuttle and Venator and Tank Droid. Due to the amount spent on the "musts", a few choices must be made. The Venator seems better than I expected (and I started out hating the idea of it), plus, the featues and great price to parts ratio are a nice addition. The shuttle has a rodian. 'Nuff said. Finally, the tank. The design is really nice, and the jettroopers are very sleek n' sexy. Since I missed out on Mos Eisley Cantina, the ISD, and Wookie Attack, some tough decisions must be made about which sets to get.

Endor...I like it, especially the figs and the speeder bikes. The new AT-ST is a great design, but I can refrain from buying if necessary.

Finally, the RGS and AT-OT. Yes, it's unexpected and freakin' cool with all of it's room for clone troopers and attachable-ness, but of course, there's the price. I won't rant, but rest assured, due to all the other things I "must have", this was almost instantly placed at the bottom of my list. It's neato, but I just can't get it. Hopefully, it'll be around for a full 2 years, though.
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Postby etcknight » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Also, I'm really glad that there are Admiral Ackbar mini-figs finally being produced - but I just wish Lego Co had made the head sculpts a little better and closer to tstoeger's custom design. But, since tstoeger's isn't widely available, I guess we'll have to settle for the Lego Co version. :)

etcknight

Postby ScruffyNerfHerder » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Wow, I am definitely looking forward to all of these OT sets! I'm especially excited for Home 1 and the Endor set (Ackbar!).

When are these supposed to be released? (might be a stupid question) And where is the C-3P0 in the Endor set?!?! >:(
ScruffyNerfHerder

Next

Return to Star Wars