Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Will [Adventurers] Lego rise again?

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Will [Adventurers] Lego rise again?

Postby Marty » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Like some I started collecting Lego in the 80's Hence, the reason I got the chance to collect some interesting themes, one being Egypt Adventure series Lego. I thought it was an excellent theme, lot's of good pieces, and was well thought out sets.
It always left the door open for more adventure sets to be made, but I was surprised why it was never re-vamped?
The only remotely looking Egypt sets in recent years have been, was a small one from studios, the mummy one from universal monsters, and most recently the temple of lost souls from Indiana Jones, has it proved to be a lost cause, I suppose it boils down you can only make so many pyramids & mummy sets, but it would be interesting to speculate on what if any a new Egyption theme would bring?

I for one would like it based on the Mummy movie (Okay so it's been done before?) But updated using the new mummy and new Indiana Jones sets, with actual working traps & problem solving, it could work. The pyramid was never really looked at, at least on a large scale, and problem solving was never added into the sets, (I'll explain that?) Tombs always had traps set to prevent thieves from swiping the loot, so you usually had to follow clues to get to the next level or room if you will, this would make the sets more interesting, each set would contain a clue and although the actual treasure would never be in any of the sets, should you solve the clues in the right order you email the answer to Lego and they send it to you?

It's probably a lame idea but I thought it might make an interesting way to market Egyption sets again to a newer age.

What are your thoughts, Marty
Marty
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: Will Egypt Lego rise again?

Postby Clyne » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:37 pm

It will probably depend on how Disney's live-action adaption of Prince of Persia goes tbh, as it will probably be as close as you're going to get for the forseeable future:

Disney and Lego team up for Prince of Persia toys
Clyne
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Will Egypt Lego rise again?

Postby Draykov » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:23 pm

I think you'll have to depend on licensed lines like Indy and Prince of Persia for the time being. The first wave of space sets that made it onto the market after Star Wars showed up (Mars Mission) took 8 years to arrive. These days the company seems to be a lot more willing to produce multiple/similar themes at the same time, but I wouldn't count on seeing a new Adventurers wave any time soon. The idea is cool...and no original theme is ever dead forever...I just don't see it happening for a while.
Hail Space!
Image
Draykov
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: Lone Star

Re: Will Egypt Lego rise again?

Postby banthafodder » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:34 pm

With the recent re-release of the pirate themes I think we might be more likely to see some new forestmen or western theme sets which would also be awesome but I guess that may be determined by how well the pirates line sells as a barometer for re-releaases of old sets. But that's my opinion.
banthafodder
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: Will Egypt Lego rise again?

Postby kotorfan2000 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:39 am

I too started collecting when the Adventure sets were being released, and I agree the it would be a great theme to buy if the revamped it. Why, is it LEGO keeps throwing out all kinds of other themes without redesigning a classic theme like Adventurers?

I disagree with you when you say that it could be based of The Mummy, because one of the things that the theme so refreshing was it's originality. Plus, I get the feeling that non-licensed sets have more pieces and figures to play with since the don't have to worry about royalties.

It'd be nice if the released it in Flesh Colored... but that's not gonna happen. :S
kotorfan2000
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Nipas, CA

Re: Will Egypt Lego rise again?

Postby puffdaddy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:01 pm

kotorfan2000 wrote:Why, is it LEGO keeps throwing out all kinds of other themes without redesigning a classic theme like Adventurers?


I can't say for sure, but I think it's because right now they have Indiana Jones. The two themes might clash.

I must agree, I would love to see a revival of the classic Adventurers theme. With all the great new pieces and designs, I have no doubt that they would be amazing.
puffdaddy
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Thoughts on Adventurers

Postby Nerfman2227 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:46 pm

So Adventurers was a great theme, that starred Johnny Thunder and his friends as they tried to stop Sam Sinister and other baddies from getting treasures and other goodies. It was a good little theme that was similar to Indiana Jones. So, why after the theme is gone, there is a stage show, a walkthrough exhibit, and basically an entire area of the park dedicated to Adventurers in Legoland California? I think that Lego (and this is just a thought) is prepping the Adventurers sets for a comeback- sort of. I think they are introducing the idea to younger builders, and if it goes over well, they may consider bringing it back. Pharaoh's Quest is another example- a desert adventure theme. Combined with everything in Legoland, if this is overall successful, I believe that Johnny and company will live to go on more adventures. After all, it wasn't a licensed theme, so Lego has all control over it and they can do whatever they want with it. Don't be in denial yet, Space Police came back, Harry Potter came back, and Rock Raiders technically came back (Power Miners). So can The Adventurers. :D
"You expect me to talk, Goldfinger?"
"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

Image
Nerfman2227
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 am
Location: over the rainbow

Re: Thoughts on Adventurers

Postby Robzula » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Johnny Thunder is done. If they do any more Adventurers type sets, which I really hope they do, they'll most likely follow Jack Raines (love the Johnny Thunder homage in his name) and crew. The Rock Raiders being "brought back" as Power Miners strengthens this idea. As for why LEGOland has a section dedicated to Adventurers, I'd assume it's less because they're thinking of bringing it back and more because it's an important theme that lends itself easily to rides, shows, exhibits, etc. Pharaoh's Quest was probably just too new and seems like it was a one-off line to be the subject matter.
Robzula
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: Thoughts on Adventurers

Postby Draykov » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:52 am

Well, I'm pretty sure when I made my previous post on the subject, I was thinking that a new Adventurers/Egyptian theme would be a lot further out than just 2 years. My original sentiment still holds true, though...no LEGO theme is ever gone forever. There will always be the possibility that LEGO will revive older themes (Space Police III) or create new themes that hearken back to older ones (Power Miners). There's nothing particularly mysterious or fanciful about that. Will Johnny Thunder, specifically, make a return while Jake Raines and company have the spotlight? I don't see that as being very likely.

Props to Marty for calling this one a mile out.

Robzula wrote:As for why LEGOland has a section dedicated to Adventurers, I'd assume it's less because they're thinking of bringing it back and more because it's an important theme that lends itself easily to rides, shows, exhibits, etc. Pharaoh's Quest was probably just too new and seems like it was a one-off line to be the subject matter.


True. True.
Hail Space!
Image
Draykov
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: Lone Star

Re: Will [Adventurers] Lego rise again?

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:11 am

I think Jack Raines took out Johnny Thunder permanently. Let's face it: Jack is a modernized version of Johnny, and probably a more appealing version for the kids these days. Just by comparing the two of them, you can see the similarities:

ImageImage

So, my guess is that although you'll probably see Jack Raines in other adventures beyond the Pharaoh's Quest theme (just like Johnny went beyond its Desert theme), Johnny's adventures are probably over.
Daz Hoo
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:56 am
Location: Laval, Québec, Canada

Re: Will [Adventurers] Lego rise again?

Postby Flynn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Maybe they should have a transitional set of some sort featuring older versions of the cast (Maybe some sort of museum set with Killroy and/or Thunder as the curator?). Older fans are placated, the line is set to move forward, seems like a win-win situation to me.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,


Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:38 am

Re: Will [Adventurers] Lego rise again?

Postby Nerfman2227 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:I think Jack Raines took out Johnny Thunder permanently. Let's face it: Jack is a modernized version of Johnny, and probably a more appealing version for the kids these days. Just by comparing the two of them, you can see the similarities:


So, my guess is that although you'll probably see Jack Raines in other adventures beyond the Pharaoh's Quest theme (just like Johnny went beyond its Desert theme), Johnny's adventures are probably over.


Hmm, I hadn't noticed the similarities until now. But I still have hope! Maybe Jack is Johnny's son? :lol: :facepalm: Just kidding, LEGO would never do that.
"You expect me to talk, Goldfinger?"
"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

Image
Nerfman2227
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 am
Location: over the rainbow

Re: Will [Adventurers] Lego rise again?

Postby bobalego » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Nerfman2227 wrote:
Hmm, I hadn't noticed the similarities until now. But I still have hope! Maybe Jack is Johnny's son? :lol: :facepalm: Just kidding, LEGO would never do that.


Actually, as I was reading this thread, I was thinking the same thing...
bobalego
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:23 pm


Return to Original Themes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest