Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lego Racers Mcdonalds Happy Meal!

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Lego Racers Mcdonalds Happy Meal!

Postby skyhopper999 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:58 am

Mcdonalds is going to sell Lego Racer Toys with their Happy Meal! If you go to the official website, they have it as a sideline. Here are some pics! (read all the way to the bottom)

links to the others:
http://www.1000steine.de/1000steine/forum2/img/uploaded/image4274.jpg
http://www.1000steine.de/1000steine/forum2/img/uploaded/image4275.jpg

This is the link to the commercial, lol, funny!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3wfFcmoSuA

It looks good, but it's really just three pieces. At least the bricks are compatible, but it would've been better PRINTED!!!!!! >8( But it's still pretty cool.

You guys do realize you don't have to buy the happy meal to get it, just buy the big kids meal!

Skyhopper Off! XD
skyhopper999

Re: Lego Racers Mcdonalds Happy Meal!

Postby LL918 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:57 am

It is hard to believe that these are real LEGO - those pieces are so un-lego like. I just looked at the current Racers line on S@H and some of those are amazingly detailed sets with a good number of pieces (45-50ish but too many stickers!) and they look about the same size as these McDonalds things. Have pieces like this ever been made before? (I confess I am not familiar with the Racers theme.) And where does that put the whole cost of a new mold issue? To me it looks like McD is dragging LEGO down a notch or two.
LL918

Postby banthafodder » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:05 am

You do realize that the target market for this type of toy is the three to six year olds. That being said if you were to put traditional lego pieces in it you are just begging for a lawsuit when one of these little tykes decides its a piece of candy and chokes on it. Very much like not having a warning label that coffee is hot.
banthafodder

Postby GIR3691 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:07 am

I guess it's better than the Batman toy. Are there any ridiculously awful minifigures?

Also, I guess it counts as a licensed theme, since LEGO licensed the line to McDonalds.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby LL918 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:43 am

banthafodder wrote:You do realize that the target market for this type of toy is the three to six year olds.

Really? Happy meals are targeted at three year olds? No wonder kids in the western world are getting fat! Give them some fruit and a Duplo brick instead!

A quick look at the LEGO site finds some sets with pieces as small as a cheese wedge targeted at the 5+ market. It has a warning saying not suitable for children under three. And TLC does take safety very seriously. So regardless of discussions about the nutritional suitability of the Happy Meal, I suspect that the real reason that the pieces are so big is that they will be cheaper, and they are intended (from the point of view of LEGO) to promote the real Racers sets to the same kids.

But I still can't get past the fact that these things look like some kind of dodgey Chinese knock off. Or Megablocks.
LL918

Postby meeotch » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:41 am

These look the same as the cereal Racers from earlier this year.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby skyhopper999 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:13 am

I cant believe people replied to this...there were general mills racer cars, but those sucked... the only good mcdonalds happy meal was the Bionicle Tohunga from 2001, using REAL lego pieces. But safety is such a concern. :roll:

At lest I'm 11, it won't look weird when I buy a big kids meal, lol. And it's mostly marketed for eleven year olds!
skyhopper999

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:39 am

banthafodder wrote:being said if you were to put traditional lego pieces in it you are just begging for a lawsuit when one of these little tykes decides its a piece of candy and chokes on it.

They had real sets back in '99...with about 15 pieces.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Aharown » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:33 pm

LL918 wrote:It is hard to believe that these are real LEGO - those pieces are so un-lego like. I just looked at the current Racers line on S@H and some of those are amazingly detailed sets with a good number of pieces (45-50ish but too many stickers!) and they look about the same size as these McDonalds things. Have pieces like this ever been made before? (I confess I am not familiar with the Racers theme.) And where does that put the whole cost of a new mold issue? To me it looks like McD is dragging LEGO down a notch or two.

I wondered about that, too. They seem to be Lego, but the whole Mega-Blocks look and the new mold thing is strange. It's probably not ABS, but the cheaper plastic they use for Bionicle pieces and whatnot - the cheaper plastic is apparently easier to work with, the molds don't have to be made to the same precise tolerances, and the molds don't have to last as long, so many new molds can be made (again, like Bionicle).

Metal axles, though - it's been ages since Lego's had anything like that!

If true Lego quality, though, these look interesting - the top piece of each car in particular could be incorporated into MOCs. It'll be interesting to see what people can make from these.
<><
Aharown

Postby GrayMattR » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:26 pm

McDonalds happy meal with actual Lego pieces were the best. One set had these cool pink 2x8 plates. And how often does the Ronald McDonald or Hamburglar piece get used? >:)
GrayMattR

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:56 pm

I got a bunch of bricks at a garage sale, and among them were bricks that appeared to be printed with McDonalds characters. Nice to know that's exactly what they are- real LEGO bricks with Grimace, Birdie, and the Hamburglar printed on them. Cool. :lol:
Mister Ed

Postby Obi-Wan Skywalker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:48 am

skyhopper999

did you post this as an excuse so you could get the polly pocket ones at the end of the commercial.

Smirks
Quoting Firespray
There is no Ace, The Ace is a lie.

My flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/42848399@N03/
Obi-Wan Skywalker

Postby Solo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:21 am

Are these different from the cereal promos from last year?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby skyhopper999 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:09 am

Obi-Wan Skywalker wrote:skyhopper999

did you post this as an excuse so you could get the polly pocket ones at the end of the commercial.

Smirks

No...I posted it because I thought nobody else on FBTB knew it...I hoped you meant that as a joke, ha. ;)

Solo wrote:Are these different from the cereal promos from last year?

I think they're about the same thing, probably bigger because they're in a happy meal! :|
GrayMattR wrote:McDonalds happy meal with actual Lego pieces were the best. One set had these cool pink 2x8 plates. And how often does the Ronald McDonald or Hamburglar piece get used? >:)

Cool, I never saw that before! :cool:

Aharown wrote:
LL918 wrote:It is hard to believe that these are real LEGO - those pieces are so un-lego like. I just looked at the current Racers line on S@H and some of those are amazingly detailed sets with a good number of pieces (45-50ish but too many stickers!) and they look about the same size as these McDonalds things. Have pieces like this ever been made before? (I confess I am not familiar with the Racers theme.) And where does that put the whole cost of a new mold issue? To me it looks like McD is dragging LEGO down a notch or two.

I wondered about that, too. They seem to be Lego, but the whole Mega-Blocks look and the new mold thing is strange. It's probably not ABS, but the cheaper plastic they use for Bionicle pieces and whatnot - the cheaper plastic is apparently easier to work with, the molds don't have to be made to the same precise tolerances, and the molds don't have to last as long, so many new molds can be made (again, like Bionicle).

If true Lego quality, though, these look interesting - the top piece of each car in particular could be incorporated into MOCs. It'll be interesting to see what people can make from these.

Yeah, I guessthe metal axles are a safety concern or something...
skyhopper999

Postby Obi-Wan Skywalker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:03 pm

skyhopper999 wrote:
Obi-Wan Skywalker wrote:skyhopper999

Smirks

No...I posted it because I thought nobody else on FBTB knew it...I hoped you meant that as a joke, ha. ;)

Solo wrote:Are these different from the cereal promos from last year?

I think they're about the same thing, probably bigger because they're in a happy meal! :|
GrayMattR wrote:McDonalds happy meal with actual Lego pieces were the best. One set had these cool pink 2x8 plates. And how often does the Ronald McDonald or Hamburglar piece get used? >:)

Cool, I never saw that before! :cool:

Aharown wrote:

Yeah, I guessthe metal axles are a safety concern or something...

Yes I hope i didn't offend you. If i did i'm sorry.
Quoting Firespray
There is no Ace, The Ace is a lie.

My flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/42848399@N03/
Obi-Wan Skywalker

Postby SuperDave » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:15 am

Of course, don't forget this granddaddy of McDonald's sets- I snagged this in a tub of used Lego on Craigslist.
SuperDave

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:42 am

SuperDave wrote:Of course, don't forget this granddaddy of McDonald's sets- I snagged this in a tub of used Lego on Craigslist.

That's cool! Are the McDonalds sign and flags printed, or stickers?
Mister Ed

Postby RocketClone » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:49 am

Yea that the 1999 LEGO mcdonalds racers you can build, and the Mcdonalds LEGO Bionicle were the best! XD
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:20 pm

They're stickers.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby skyhopper999 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 am

ThinkingImpaired wrote:They're stickers.

Indeed.
skyhopper999

Next

Return to Original Themes