Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Disney Toy Story First Look

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: LEGO Disney Toy Story First Look

Postby ShockZap » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:29 am

Although printed legs are awesome, some solid color long legs would be good for Chewbacca and such. That is, if they're not detachable like the Jack Stone minifig. Cross your fingers!
I'm probably cooler than all of you combined.

[*Account "temporarily" suspended for excessive rude behavior to other members. Big shocker there - Don]
ShockZap

Postby thepatient » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:33 am

The minifigs are an impressive blend between the Toy Story look and the LEGO look. I don't know if I will get this line for myself, but this looks like a nice one to start my young son away from DUPLO and in to "standard" LEGO. He loves Toy Story, and this might be the way to keep him from messing with my Star Wars LEGO. :p

This has really been a stellar LEGO year.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Larry Lars » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:35 am

There's really no point in complaining about some of the figs not being in minifig scale.
This line breaks a lot of rules from before and the taller figs aren't supposed to be minifigs. The whole line is obviously based on the notion that this strange hybrid would allow the use of "minifigs" as both the short and the tiny carhacters.

Take "fabuland", "Jack Stone" and "Winnie the Pooh Duplo" and mix it all with some minifig stuff and you got this line. I think much of this looks awsome, but it isn't a minifig line in that sense that it's going to be played out in a world in minifig scale.
Actually I think our own world is more to the point scalewise.
Maybe Shop@Hope is going to sell full scale replicas of Andy's cardboard box space suit. ;)

I think this line is going to be a success with kids and there's a lot of new elements that AFOL:s would like to have. But remember that the aspect of wanting cool elements for your normal MOC building hobby is not a very constructive reason to complain about design choices in a licenced toy line.

And by the way. You are going to be forced to buy massive sets to get these cool figs. Imagine all the brickbuilt real life stuff that they could have in the sets. Etchy Scetch, tape recorder, remote for the car and so on.
Larry Lars

Postby Captain Typo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:50 am

I have a bad feeling about th- *gets pistol-whipped*

Ow. Well, I'm not too sure about the Mega-Blok-esque molds, either. I got really excited seeing the army men, really excited seeing RC, and then... Looked at Woody. I mean, it looks almost exactly like something MB would do, to me. I mean, I know it's still Lego and all that, but they're coming awfully close to that "make a mold for everything and be done with it" line that MB has drawn, in my book. Before someone says it, I understand that the reason for this is to make the figures look more like the source material, but that's what the action figures are for. The way I see it, Lego is supposed to look and be different, because that's what makes them Lego...

I may just have to snag whatever set those sodiers come in, though. Just can't turn down a green rifle. ;)
"Yippie-ki-yay, my friend."

-John McLane, Die Hard With a Vengeance- The TV Edit
Captain Typo

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you

Postby Seasian » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:20 pm

They should totally make RC into one of the Radio Control LEGO Racer sets. That be amazing.
Seasian

Postby GrayMattR » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Toy Story has been a favorite in our family. They done justice to both the Toy Story and Lego style of characters. I'm going to put off Lego Star Wars to get all these sets, with dups of the army men and aliens. The only way they could have made this line better was to release it in 1995 when the first movie came out.
GrayMattR

Postby Chief » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:55 pm

I am BEYOND STOKED for this line after seeing these pics.
I was excited before. Anticipation level through the roof now.

The figs are unique and AWESOME and that RC model made me do a double-take. Very amazing translation from toy to Lego.
Chief

Postby Blacknight » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:03 pm

I'm not interested in Toy Story so this line does nothing for me - even the army men helmets and gear are questionable since that looks like some weird shade of green they're using (it makes perfect sense for plastic toy soldiers, just not necessarily anything else).
Blacknight

Postby Zekk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm really liking the look of this line. I love Toy Story and looking at these pictures brings back memories. RC rocks and I really like Zurg, Buzz, and Bullseye, but Jessie's eyes are a little creepy. The army men are probably my favorite figs in the line so far and I can see a lot people who have been hoping for official military figs being excited about the torsos and helmets. As soon as I saw the aliens I thought, "You have saved our lives; we are eternally grateful."
"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace." - John Lennon
Zekk

Postby bartthecartoon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Those sets look stunning. I'm just a little concerned that an 18 year old guy may feel a little weird about having Toy Story Lego sets in his room...Oh well I guess that they are cool enough that I'll get over it. Now I'm really excited to see what kinds of scenes from the movies they will make.
bartthecartoon

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:22 pm

It's already been pointed out that some of the new figs have longer legs. Does anyone else notice that the arms are also a smidge longer on the taller figs? Or am I hallucinating?
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Zekk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:36 pm

You're not hallucinating. I'm quite sure they're longer, too.
"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace." - John Lennon
Zekk

Postby cfl_sw » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:22 pm

These figures don't really look like lego. I thought woody would have a johnny thunder hat and new face print. The figures face shapes are strange. I hope lego doesn't do this to all of their themes.
cfl_sw

Postby Draykov » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Blacknight wrote:I'm not interested in Toy Story so this line does nothing for me - even the army men helmets and gear are questionable since that looks like some weird shade of green they're using (it makes perfect sense for plastic toy soldiers, just not necessarily anything else).

I think you're being a little short-sighted here...do you think they'd mold a minifig helmet, produce it in bright green for this line and never use it again? It might not be instant gratification, but it's promising.

cfl_sw wrote:These figures don't really look like lego. I thought woody would have a johnny thunder hat and new face print. The figures face shapes are strange. I hope lego doesn't do this to all of their themes.

Put away the duct tape and generators people. Toy Story has very stylized characters and it's not much of a surprise that they took this sort of turn for this theme specifically. We may see parts like the new giant legs again in some other theme...perhaps some giant SPIII aliens or maybe a Bellville replacement. Standard minifigs, however, are still the norm across most themes. There is no need to panic.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:15 pm

The only complaint I have is the molded heads. It seems very unnecessary with the human characters. Otherwise there are lots of neat applications for those new elements they are introducing, and the brand new colors for existing pieces.

It is a bit strange that this is a stylized toy line based on a movie that is based around toys.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby SkwerlJones » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Jabba the Taff wrote:
SkwerlJones wrote:I agree. The heads don't really fit in with the other, more simplistic minifigure heads in our collections. And the Prospector one just downright creeps me out.

The Prospector should be creepy!

Okay, you got me there. And remember, kids, he wasn't always evil. It was poor commercial marketing and Spacemen that sealed his fate. A fate that was sealed for 50 long, cold years.

But alas, I am wondering why Lego couldn't pick up a Disney theme last year. I can only dream what a WALL-E theme would be like...
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Postby Blacknight » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:11 am

Draykov wrote:I think you're being a little short-sighted here...do you think they'd mold a minifig helmet, produce it in bright green for this line and never use it again? It might not be instant gratification, but it's promising.

As long as they continue to hold their "no war toys" policy, then the helmets are unlikely to be reused again. I will concede that the policy seems to be getting weaker every year, starting with the dino attack line.
Blacknight

Postby jocktheglide » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:59 am

ill buy them...
jocktheglide

Postby Larry Lars » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:17 am

I'm not at all worried about what effect this theme will have on future LEGO themes in general. If something is suited for a regular minifig theme that's going to be the way to go I think. What's going to happen is that a lot of themes never before considered, due to the strange anatomy of a minifig, will be a future posabillty.

Mining released sets for useful minifig elements aside. This change in approach opens for a lot of interesting themes in the future. Licensed themes always brings new elements we would newer had gtten otherwise. There's always been these unspoken rules about how "non-LEGO" a new lego piece would be allowed to be. Recent licensed lines have therefor been able to push the LEGO product in a new and better direction for us that uses it for our building hobby needs.
Examples would be the windscreen in the Speed Racer theme. Would we have such a sleak element with no studs on top if it weren't for that theme? Traditionally LEGO is a colorful toy. The Star Wars theme gave us entire sets in grey or brown. The examples of great things we wouldn't have without the licensed themes are countless. I think we should embrase LEGO:s willlingness to somewhat braking their own strict rules for power players as Disney/Pixar or Star Wars. That gives us good stuff in the long run. At the same time it's important not to forget that new themes are not developed primarely for our MOC:ing needs. By the way, the giant Toy Story heads might be a success with kids and keep the sets on the market for you to buy green soldiers as long as you like. ;)
And even if the Toy Store heads are single pieces LEGO seems to have broaden their thinking when it comes to elements compatible with a minifig. Remeber earlier Disney themes with the entire figure in one piece and the Hagrid fig for that matter. These new legs and arms as well as the extra pair of alien arms in the Space Police line or the robot arm with Agents may be the beginning of a new era of minifig versatility.

My point with all this is that the most common opinion on th line seems to be. "Hate the big heads - love the army men and the green alien guys." If it weren't for the bigger fig approach for woody and Jessy we might never have gotten those other smaller ones as regular minifigs. Think about that!
Larry Lars

Postby Draykov » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:39 am

Blacknight wrote:As long as they continue to hold their "no war toys" policy, then the helmets are unlikely to be reused again. I will concede that the policy seems to be getting weaker every year, starting with the dino attack line.

I don't mean to imply that LEGO is going to turn around and make any war-based themes, but introducing an element like this into the palette means it has the potential to reappear...perhaps in a color more suitable for MOC soldiers (black, tan, dark green). I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen, but the fact that there is now an official LEGO Army helmet in the mix means we may see it again down the road...perhaps on a befuddled general who has to call in the LEGO Agents to defend Townopolis from the giant destructo-ray. Bottom line, it's more than we had a few days ago, and that's something to be happy about. :)
Hail Space!
Draykov

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes