Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Disney Toy Story First Look

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO Disney Toy Story First Look

Postby Staff » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:56 am

You know, when I first heard about the LEGO Disney alliance and that they would be making figures based on Toy Story 3, I felt a twinge of excitement. I mean, who doesn't love the Toy Story movies? And seeing them rendered in LEGO minifigure form would make any fan wet their pants with anticipation. What I saw today at SDCC just completely blew my mind. The figures that were there were final production figures, so what you see is what you get. And I can't believe just how AWESOME they are. Some highlights below, full pictures in the LEGO Toy Story 2010 flickr set:

LEGO Toy Story - 01LEGO Toy Story - 05LEGO Toy Story - 14LEGO Toy Story - 21LEGO Toy Story - 09LEGO Toy Story - 06

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2009/07/23/lego-disney-toy-story-first-look/
Staff

Re: LEGO Disney Toy Story First Look

Postby Firespray » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:57 am

So much fraking win here <3 XD
Firespray

Postby Jabba the Taff » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:31 am

These are AMAZING! They look just perfect, I didn't even notice the extra long legs to start. And a flick-fire that makes complete sense. The molds on all the heads seem to be a bold but good decision. This line is going to cost me a fortune!

Also, loving the fact that the mine detector now comes in green!
Jabba the Taff

Postby Marty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:29 am

Amazing! Simply that, I love the 3-eyed guy, and the green troops & Zurg is a bonus!
I think without a doubt Lego has a winner here.
The only niggle I have, is that the main characters heads seem larger than minifigure scale, but what kids going to care about that. I hope the piggy bank and Mr. potato head & dino are included in the next round.
Marty

Postby CoR3Bu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:23 am

Jessie looks beautiful. Those long legs and arms are awesome. Now I just have to get them and
make a taller elf for my custom minifig collection. Buzz and Bulls-eye look gorgeous, too.
Army Men are Chuck Norris approved. : :cool: Lego Toy Story is gonna be a hit next year.

-The Colonel
CoR3Bu

Postby Swoosh Factor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:49 am

Looks great so far. It will be interesting to see how they pull off the actual sets though, given that the human-scaled objects and scenery are so much larger than the minifig toys.
Swoosh Factor

Postby SIMAFOL » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:58 am

Those Army Men better come in a minifig pack. Those stands are priceless and the helmets are stellar!
SIMAFOL

Postby irmasturcheeflol » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:47 am

I love toy story and the army men are the best i mean really, GREEN binoculars thats sweet
but did anyone else notice the taller legs?
Series 1: Cowboy, Indian, Clown, Diver, Spaceman, Zombie, Robot, Forestman, Skater.
irmasturcheeflol

Postby Crusader » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:49 am

Great figs. In fact my only complaint might be that the figures are so perfect, that they almost don't look like Lego anymore. Nonetheless, they did a fantastic job. They will sell, sell, sell. And Crusader will buy, buy, buy.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby batsamd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:29 am

Anyone notice that Buzz has paint on his feet?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/37 ... 664184369/

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they couldn't put paint on minifigure legs below the half way point, as well as the foot. Guess that's changed now.

Wish they would've done that for Batman, so it would look like he has boots on, instead of running around Gotham fighting crime in his socks.

The heads for the main characters really throw me off, but I'll reserve judgment till I see them in person.

Since I really enjoyed the first two Toy Story movies, I'd like to get a few sets at least.

"To infinity and beyond!"
batsamd

Postby liquidcross » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:36 am

Just gimme a battle pack of the army guys, and I'll be happy as a pig in poop. :D
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Witha_K » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:59 am

batsamd wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that they couldn't put paint on minifigure legs below the half way point, as well as the foot. Guess that's changed now.

We've had the ability to print the entire mini-fig leg since about 1998. I believe this was the first example of "toe" printing.

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/970ca2?img=32311
Witha_K

Postby Big C » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:26 am

EPIC WIN. So freakin' awesome. XD
Big C

Postby meeotch » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:29 am

The army men and 3-eyed alien are my favorite, but I really like the look of Buzz as well.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Flynn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:41 am

I really, really, like these figures, with the exception of those heads. I'm thinking they'll grow on me once I get the sets (RC looks absolutely perfect), but I don't think I care for those MegaBlok-esque molds. They're just to perfect for a minifigure...

EDIT: Okay, after looking at more of those pics, I take back what I said. They look terrific, though I'm still not sold on Woody, Jesse, and the Prospector..they're a tad bit creepy-looking, IMO...
Last edited by Flynn on Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby SkwerlJones » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:48 am

I agree. The heads don't really fit in with the other, more simplistic minifigure heads in our collections. And the Prospector one just downright creeps me out.

But hey, the green armymen look great and there are a whole bunch of new pieces that could very well change the the way we build. Good job, Lego. I think you have a winner.
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:56 am

After having substantial doubts about this license, I have to say I am very surprised at the product, and quite pleasantly so! LEGO has done a phenomenal job of translating all of those characters into brick-form, and it looks as though we'll have a very sweet line on our hands come spring 2010! The look and integrity of each of the characters is impressive. Of course, this will likely be a very pricey line as well with all of the new molds and extra printing on the minifigs. Yikes, hide your wallets!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby etcknight » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:58 am

Flynn wrote:I really, really, like these figures, with the exception of those heads. I'm thinking they'll grow on me once I get the sets (RC looks absolutely perfect), but I don't think I care for those MegaBlok-esque molds. They're just to perfect for a minifigure...

EDIT: Okay, after looking at more of those pics, I take back what I said. They look terrific, though I'm still not sold on Woody, Jesse, and the Prospector..they're a tad bit creepy-looking, IMO...

I have to agree with Flynn and a couple others here. I really like that Lego is getting some newer, better licensed themes (versus Air Bender or Speed Racer). But, I'm not completely sold on the MegaBlok-esque, non-Lego type heads and molds. They look great, but somehow, not exactly Lego. I'm still probably going to try to get these mini-figs depending on the prices, but for the most part, I'll be sticking with Star Wars. Buzz looks awesome though!! :cool:
etcknight

Postby Draykov » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:05 am

Man! These look nice in and of themselves, but even just from a parts monkey standpoint, it's pretty exciting: army dude helmets, some decent little minifig stands, tons o' green minifig utensils, 3-stud tall minifig legs, return of the finned 2x2 round brick...good stuff.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Jabba the Taff » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:17 am

SkwerlJones wrote:I agree. The heads don't really fit in with the other, more simplistic minifigure heads in our collections. And the Prospector one just downright creeps me out.

The Prospector should be creepy!
Jabba the Taff

Next

Return to Licensed Themes