Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

theJude's Guide to Posting a MOC

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

theJude's Guide to Posting a MOC

Postby theJudeAbides » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:11 pm

So, you've just put the finishing touches on your latest MOC and you want to post it to your favorite forum. That's great! However, before you post, there are some things you should consider:

DO post a picture of your MOC (but be sure it meets the appropriate requirements).
DO NOT simply post a link to your picture(s). Take the time to embed them.

DO ensure that the first image you post shows the entire MOC.
DO NOT start off with a detail or closeup shot. Those should come after the main picture.

DO link to a gallery containing additional images.
DO NOT post a long list of links to individual pictures. It's easier for everybody.

DO consider posting a few thumbnails for MOCs that are larger and/or have more details.
DO NOT assume everyone is going to visit your gallery to view additional pictures, so show them why they should.

DO post the best-quality pictures you can manage.
DO NOT post blurry, terrible-quality pictures, apologise, and promise to "take better pictures later." Wait until you have the new pictures before you post.

DO use a descriptive topic title.
DO NOT use a misleading title or a title that uses a quote/reference that not everyone will understand. Keep it simple and save it for the post.

DO post a little information about your MOC.
DO NOT post long, detailed backstories or detailed build pictures. These things have a time and a place: your personal blog/webpage. Post them there and link to it.

DO heed the advice and criticism people give you and consider modifying your MOC.
DO NOT be a snob and think your creations are beyond criticism. Nobody's perfect.

Final Note: This document is a work in progress. I myself would like to hear your thoughts on this and if you have anything to add.

Also, my apologies to the mods if this should have been posted in the MOC section, but I figured since I wasn't actually posting a MOC, it should be posted here. Feel free to move it to where ever you deem prudent.
Last edited by theJudeAbides on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Re: theJude's Guide to Posting a MOC

Postby Solo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 am

Jude, I like that you're setting this up, but I think it's way too verbose. Make it simple and to the point and people are more likely to read it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Draykov » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:58 am

DO: be awesome
DON'T: be a dweeb

Seriously though, I like the sentiment and I think you provide solid advice. Particularly the "wait to post until you get decent shots." I've been guilty of that myself when I didn't have the patience or skill to get the perfect shot of some random build I just wanted to share. To be fair, I haven't done that often or for builds I felt deserved genuine consideration by the community...I just suck so bad at indoor photography though. :)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby theJudeAbides » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Solo wrote:Jude, I like that you're setting this up, but I think it's way too verbose. Make it simple and to the point and people are more likely to read it.

You're absolutely right. Here I am breaking my own rules... silly me. I've modified it.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Return to General LEGO Discussions