Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

National Hockey League

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Re: National Hockey League

Postby yankeeken » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:44 am

But you'd be hard pressed to call any team in the NHL strictly "American" since the majority of NHL players come from either Canada or Europe. For example, Detroit has more Swedish players than American players.
yankeeken

Postby Gumby » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:21 am

theJudeAbides wrote:I thought it was in really poor taste that the audience booed through the entire trophy ceremony. How about showing some respect, being a good sport, and recognizing the fact that the Penguins played hard all season and deserved it just as much as the Red Wings did? Just because your team lost is no reason to act like an sarlacc. You should be happy you got to witness a great game and be there at a Stanley Cup final.

Just wanted to point out that the crowd was booing Gary Bettman, the NHL commissioner, and not the Penguins. :)
Gumby

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:38 am

I'm not really that up on my NHL current events, so perhaps you could explain why they were booing him.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby ki-adi-windu » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Also you might want to point to the fact that 24 teams are 'American' and the other 6 'Canadian', so that doesn't give them spectacular chance at getting into the finals, let alone both.

Also, the fans boo Bettman because he has made worse decisions than a drunken kangaroo. The lockout was just the start and then followed the rule changes, the TV deals, and many more that I can't remember because frankly I'm too lazy and I haven't been up to normal speed ever since the Sharks lost.

And one more point, I wouldn't go around bashing a country's sport and their teams and then resorting them to curling. Real low blow, man.
ki-adi-windu

Postby Draykov » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:58 pm

Canada and the US have a BFF/bro-mance sort of thing going. You have to expect a little friendly ribbing now and then (whether it's American ignorance about ice hockey or Canadian curling...nuttin' but love either way).

In other news: poor Dave Tippet gets a raw deal. I'm not surprised that the Stars replaced him as head coach, and I think that Marc Crawford should work out pretty well, but Tipp is a good coach. The major screw-ups this past year were perpetrated by the injury bug and former GM Hull-Jack (AKA the Sean Avery deal). Any team would be lucky to have him. I hope he finds work soon.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Swoosh Factor » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:21 pm

On a positive note, the west coast Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts will be improved, by having somebody other than Crawford doing colour commentary.
Swoosh Factor

Postby Gumby » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 am

Swoosh Factor wrote:On a positive note, the west coast Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts will be improved, by having somebody other than Crawford doing colour commentary.

Hey, I happened to like Crawford doing the colour commentary. It was nice to have a coach's perspective on things. :)
Gumby

Postby JackFr » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:44 pm

ki-adi-windu wrote:Also you might want to point to the fact that 24 teams are 'American' and the other 6 'Canadian', so that doesn't give them spectacular chance at getting into the finals, let alone both.

Also, the fans boo Bettman because he has made worse decisions than a drunken kangaroo. The lockout was just the start and then followed the rule changes, the TV deals, and many more that I can't remember because frankly I'm too lazy and I haven't been up to normal speed ever since the Sharks lost.

And one more point, I wouldn't go around bashing a country's sport and their teams and then resorting them to curling. Real low blow, man.

To be fair, not only was Bettman not responsible for the rule changes, but they were also universally praised.

Also, as has been said:

16 Canadians won the Stanley Cup as players this year.
9 Americans won.
JackFr

Postby Draykov » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Don't forget to watch the NHL draft this Friday night (6/26) on Versus.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby yankeeken » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks for the reminder. The last time I remembered to watch the draft was the year after the lockout when Crosby went to the Penguins.
yankeeken

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:59 pm

Dallas gets 8th pick in the first round, so I have a vested interest. :)

In other news, Hull the younger (et al) make the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby yankeeken » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:51 am

Ya, Brett Hall, Brian Leetch, Luc Robitaille and Steve Yzerman are all going in this year. That's a pretty good class if you ask me.
yankeeken

Postby Draykov » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:12 pm

Here is info on the first 10 picks:

NYI JOHN TAVARES
TBL VICTOR HEDMAN
COL MATT DUCHENE
ATL EVANDER KANE
LAK BRAYDEN SCHENN
PHX O EKMAN-LARSSON
TOR NAZEM KADRI
DAL SCOTT GLENNIE
OTT JARED COWEN
EDM M PAAJARVI-SVENSSON
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Kyle » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:24 pm

Man I'm a hockey draft, or possibly just pro sports drafts in general, n00b. I read Draykov's list and thought, "Lak? Dal? Ott? What bizarre first names...." :lol:
Kyle

Postby yankeeken » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:29 am

Wow, just saw the news that the Ducks traded Chris Pronger to the Philadelphia Flyers for Joffrey Lupul, some defenseman and some draft picks. Its no surprise, at least to me, that they traded Pronger, but I would have never guessed in a million years that they would trade him for Lupul. Its like deja vu. Considering the fact that it was just about three years ago that Anaheim sent Lupul to Edmonton for Pronger. Anyway, I have mixed feelings with regard to getting Lupul back. On one hand his one season in Edmonton was mediocre at best, yet on the other hand he seems to have been progressively rising the past two seasons in Philly and he did brought the Ducks a good 53 points in the 05-06 season. I guess I'll have to reserve judgment on the trade until I see if Lupul produces next season.

Anyway in other news, I once gain got distracted an therefore missed the NHL draft, yet again.
yankeeken

Postby Draykov » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:09 am

Kyle wrote: I read Draykov's list and thought, "Lak? Dal? Ott? What bizarre first names...." :lol:

Just know that PHX is your people. ;)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Swoosh Factor » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Draykov wrote:
Kyle wrote: I read Draykov's list and thought, "Lak? Dal? Ott? What bizarre first names...." :lol:

Just know that PHX is your people. ;)

For now, maybe...

The Pronger deal looks pretty good for Anaheim. They get a decent player in Lupul plus a couple of draft picks, as well as free up a lot of cap space to re-sign the likes of Beauchemin down the road.
Swoosh Factor

Postby Draykov » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 pm

0-2 with a couple heartbreaking shootout losses. Here's to better luck down the road. GO STARS!!!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Draykov » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:31 am

Congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks: 2009-2010 Stanley Cup Champions!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby possum » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:58 am

I found the first downfall to having a newborn baby: OT runs late and makes you fall asleep thus missing the game winner. At least NHL Network got me up to speed this morning. Good for those kids in Chicago, they played with much more class than Philly (surprise). I always kind of dread the long off season, but my local Charlotte Checkers are moving up to the AHL next year so there's something huge to look forward to.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!
possum

PreviousNext

Return to BCS 2.0