Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lego Back to the Future Trilogy Set Ideas

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Lego Back to the Future Trilogy Set Ideas

Postby rocksteady » Fri May 08, 2009 9:40 am

Lego Back to the Future Trilogy Sets

This is just an idea I had, since we already have Lego Star Wars and Indiana Jones sets (coming soon Toy Story sets) why doesn't Lego make Back To The Future Sets. I personally think they can make such a success with key scences in the movie. Below are just some examples that I can imagine. Please leave your thoughts and comments. If you would like to add more creative ideas or sets please do!

Lets start with the BTTF 1: 1985 & 1955 Sets

Save the Clock Tower
Description: Marty, Jennifer & Save The Clock Tower Lady Lego minifigures. The begining of the first movie with Marty & Jennifer being confronted by the Save The Clock Tower Lady. The Lego will be the bus stop w/ bench, Marty's skateboard & the Lego Lyon's Park Entrance Gate (When Marty goes home)

Twin Pine Mall
Description: Marty & The Doc Lego minifigures. This theme would be the introduction of the Delorean being tested out for the first time. This would include 5 characters - Marty/Doc/Libian terrorist 1 & 2/einstein (Dog). The lego sets would include the Delorean, Doc Brown's Experiment Truck Trailor, The Terrorist Volkswagon & maybe the small store the terrorist crashes into.

Cafe' Escape
Description: Marty, George, Lorain & Biff Lego minifigures. This theme would be placed in the 50's Cafe, so a partial lego cafe with a long bar table & seats. The scence where George tries to ask out Lorain to the Echanment Under the Sea Dance but fails when Biff intrudes. This will include a brown lego skateboard for Marty's escape, Biff's 50's ride, and a manure truck.

Highschool Parking Lot set
Description: Marty, Lorain, George & Biff Lego minifigures. This theme would be placed in the scene where Biff finds Marty with Lorain, and George comes to the rescue. The set will include Doc's borowed Lego Car that Marty picks up Lorain with, a lego baseplate with parking lines, and 2 additional Lego cars that would give a better appearance of a parking lot.

The ClockTower (50's Version)
Description: Marty & Doc lego minifigures. This theme would be set at the end of the movie where The Delorean goes back to 1985. This set would include a highly detailed Clock Tower, Delorean w/ hook and light posts. A thin rope woud be put in place at the top of the clock tower to the end of both light posts, for the 1.21 giawatts of electricity to hook into the Delorean Time Machine. Clock will be set at 10:04pm.

BTTF 2: 2015 & 1955 Sets

McFly House 1985
Description: Marty, Doc & Jennifer Lego minifigures. This theme would be very basic. The Lego Delorean with hovering wheels & Flux Capacitor will be new (opposed to the BTTF 1 Lego Delorean), and a 2015 Lego Taxi Cab. This set will include hovering street lights, and invisible clear stands to pretend that it's floating in the air and also stands for the Delorean time machine & Taxi Cab. This would set at the begining of the first movie where Doc brings Marty and Jennifer to the Future.

2015 Clock Tower
Description: Marty, Marty's Future son, Old Biff, Griff & his 3 gang members Lego Minifigures. This theme would be the Hoverboard chase with Marty & Griff after their fight in the Cafe' 80's. This set would be similar to the Lego Clock Tower set in BTTF 1, but with modifications with the Clock Tower design. The Clock Tower walls will be clear lego blocks to represent the glass that Griff crashes into, and the water fountain park thing that Marty gets his hoverboard stuck into. The pink hoverboard & pitbull hoverboard will be highlights of this set.

Biff's Garage
Description: Marty, Young Biff, 2015 Old Biff & Doc Lego minifigures. This theme would be set in Biff's Lego garage, where Marty gets locked into. Old Biff from 2015 will pass the Almanac to young Biff. The set will include Biff's Lego car, Doc's bike & the 2015 Lego Delorean the old Biff steals from the future.

The Echanment Under the Sea Dance Stage
Description: Marty (BTTF 1),Marty (BTTF 2 disguise), Marvin Berry, 3 Band players & 2 Biff goons Lego Minifigures.This theme would center on the Lego stage of the Echanment Under the Sea Dance. The stage will be complete with Lego instruments Piano, drums, bass & guitar. There will be some stage lighting where Marty (BTTF 2) tries to bypass Marty (BTTF 1) to take out Biff's goons.

BTTF3: 1885 & 1985 Sets

The Chase
Description: Marty, 2 Lego Indians on horses, 2 Lego patrol guards on horses & bear minifigures.This set would be when Marty arrives in 1885 and finds himself being chased by indians, guards & a bear. This will include the modified Delorean with Doc's 1955 white wheels and new circuit board, alot of brown block pieces that form a cave and some lego cactus & wood fences.

The Saloon Escape
Description: Marty Clint Eastwood, Mad Dog Tannen, Bartender & random cowboy Lego minifigures. This set would be based on a Lego Saloon (similar designs to Lego Cafe Corner), with Bar tables/seating, horses, and entrance saloon gate. This set would be where Marty meets Mad dog Tannen for the first time and gets chased out of the saloon.

Claire Rescue
Description: Marty Clint Eastwood, Doc, & Claire Lego Minifigures. This set will be based on the part where Claire almost falls into the ravine. This will include a lego horse carriage & horses for Marty and Doc.

The 1885 Clock Tower
Description: Marty Clint Eastwood, Doc, Mad Dog, Seamus McFly & 2 random cowboys lego minifigures. This set you can recreate events in the movie. The 1885 Clock Tower will be partially built, a section where Marty gets hanged by Mad Dog, manure cart where Mad Dog falls into, Tomb stones, and a lego house where Marty finds the boiler door and uses as a bullet proof vest. This set would be recommended with the Saloon Escape set.

The Science Experiment
Description: Marty, Doc, Claire & Train driver minifigures. This set you can recreate the event of the Lego Delorean being pushed by the Lego Train locomotive. The set will include pink hoverboard, horses, and the attachable train carriages. Lego has always been fantastic with Train sets and designs that run by a wall outlet.

The Future
Description: Marty, Jennifer, Doc, Claire, 2 lego kids & Eienstien lego minifigures.This set would be the final scene from the trilogy. You guess it, a Lego Train from the future! (that hovers). This will include broken lego parts of the delorean (flux capacitor, gull-wing doors & random grey lego pieces) a lego railway crossing, and a lego plate that say 'Your Fired'

Thease are just ideas, I mean you can go on and on and recreate the entire movie if you wanted too. I personally would love this idea. Hopefully this is a seed that someday can grow....

here is a link to further the imagination...

http://technabob.com/blog/2009/01/21/le ... -showdown/

Rocksteady
Last edited by rocksteady on Thu May 14, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rocksteady

Re: Lego Back to the Future Trilogy Sets

Postby meeotch » Fri May 08, 2009 9:43 am

I can't believe that you don't have the Delorian listed as its own set! I know you have it in the mall and probably elsewhere, but still, that would be the number one seller! In fact, I'm going to go one better. I say a UCS Delorian would be awesome. If this line was made, it would be the only set I would buy.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby rocksteady » Fri May 08, 2009 9:50 am

meeotch wrote:I can't believe that you don't have the Delorian listed as its own set! I know you have it in the mall and probably elsewhere, but still, that would be the number one seller! In fact, I'm going to go one better. I say a UCS Delorian would be awesome. If this line was made, it would be the only set I would buy.

Thanks for the addition, yeah my mind is just flowing with ideas...I've been writing all this stuff while i'm at my desk working. A UCS Delorean would be incredible! Maybe a chrome Marty McFly! haha...it won't be a bad idea either for a Back to the Future Lego Video Game too.
rocksteady

Postby Flynn » Fri May 08, 2009 2:22 pm

You know, you've got so many clock towers in there. My guess is the only one that would make sense as a set would be the 1955 clock tower, as that's really the most important scene with the tower.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Re: Lego Back to the Future Trilogy Set Ideas

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Fri May 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Lego. Should. Not. Touch. Cult. Also, half the kids alive are unlikely to know about Back to the Future had it not been their parents popped a dusty video cassette into the VCR player - thus making it difficult for Lego to market. With Star Wars, the line rode on the hype of the new trilogy and new, much younger fans, who steadily gained interest in the Original Trilogy and the sets pandered to that later in the game. Still, these are pretty interesting set ideas, and I have to admit I'd really love to see a good Lego DeLorean or clocktower - and a Doc Brown minifig!!
Jedd the Jedi

Postby Marty » Mon May 11, 2009 4:55 pm

Firstly, I don't believe a back to the future, however great the sets are, will be a hit, mainly because it wasn't that great as time travel movies go. However that's not to say that time travel and Lego doesn't have a place, I think the doctor who theme has a much wider scope, rather than just stopping at 3 movies?
Also I have stated on older threads that the time machine would be good idea as it could cover all the themes in history rather than just being pinned down to just one theme.
Lego did try a time travel theme, but due to sets and the way they where designed, they where soon forgotten.
If only the designers at Lego had done a contest (Big hint! Here?) on what a Time Travel theme would look like before they released those sets?
Something like old London with the great fire, plague, rats, Egypt and discovering the tomb, landing durning the roman times, Greece during the games, Troy with the horse, and signing the great charter?
There's a lot of history there, and smaller sets could add to education especially when kids who are using computers, sets could even include a dvd. My personal one would be a set containing Queen Elizabeth knighting Sir Walter?
As you can see, the list is endless, regards Marty. :D
Marty

Postby slicer87 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:52 pm

BTTF lego sets would be cool but not enough kids would know about BTFF these days.
Last edited by slicer87 on Tue May 12, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST=CT
slicer87

Postby meeotch » Mon May 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Is it really necessary for at least one person to go into every idea thread and say "It wouldn't be a hit?" I mean, isn't the fact that Lego hasn't made it all ready enough to show that they know it wouldn't be a hit? Is it ever okay to just pretend?
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby slicer87 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:42 pm

I think a really cool set would be Doc's locomotive time machine at the end of part 3. Best way to do it as I see it is, have a electric train set that rocksteady already described but also have time machine parts that can be put on and taken off the locomotive easily.
ST=CT
slicer87

Postby Duckman » Wed May 13, 2009 1:28 am

I totally disagree with people saying it wouldn't be a hit.
Lets face it, if they are worried about the shops not having them fly off the shelves from children, then fine, sell it at Shop @ Home.

They did that with the Statue of Liberty, Taj Mahal... etc. These are sets which pretty much you wouldn't build unless you were around 15 or above I would think. I might be wrong, who cares, at least they'd get a stack load more interest from new buyers, and then repeat buyers, once they rediscover Lego. You think about it, the amount of Lego I buy each year would be the equivalent to about 30 children over a year easily. So you do the maths over whether its a good idea. Its a no brainer in my opionion. People just need to realize that getting adults into Lego is Massively profitable over children.

Anyway, I love your idea, I have always loved Back To The Future, and Lego would get a TONNE of new people into lego, lets face it.... The Star Wars line was what brought me back into lego, and I was 23 when I rediscovered lego.

I love the idea of a Delorian, a clock tower scene, a future with the hoverboard scene, even if they just did one massive Clock Tower set, kind of like the Medievial Village set. I would soo buy that. I mean, after all, all the millions of adults out there that would show BTTF I, II and III to their kids as they get older would ignite more love, but it would still sell a tonne. They should make more one off sets, .... but the only thing I can imagine that would prevent this would be the license they need to pay for the rights to make this, making Lego want to make more than 1 set. But if they could somehow bargain just a 1 off set, and pay a small license fee, or maybe commission, would be perfect.
Duckman

Postby Turkguy19 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:12 pm

They did that with the Statue of Liberty, Taj Mahal... etc. These are sets which pretty much you wouldn't build unless you were around 15 or above I would think. I might be wrong, who cares, at least they'd get a stack load more interest from new buyers, and then repeat buyers, once they rediscover Lego. You think about it, the amount of Lego I buy each year would be the equivalent to about 30 children over a year easily. So you do the maths over whether its a good idea. Its a no brainer in my opionion. People just need to realize that getting adults into Lego is Massively profitable over children.

So, basically, your says that because you buy enough LEGO for 30 children, means that everyone does? I for one don't, and I'm sure a lot of other people don't either. No matter what you want to believe, LEGO is a children's toy. The age of 15 is still considered a child. LEGO rarely markets stuff to adults, and, if it's only profitable in the AFOL market, they don't even do it. Just think, when was the last time you saw a LEGO commercial on NBC, ABC, or CBS? When was the last time you saw a LEGO commercial on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon?
Turkguy19

Postby Marty » Fri May 15, 2009 2:00 am

Look! Just because I said that BTTF wouldn't work does not mean that I don't like it, I have a Die-cast model of the delorian (flying one to prove just that.) But here's the thing, this as Lego sets is very limited, after all, after the first one, the rest wern't that good.
If Lego had any sense, it would do something like Star trek, Doctor who, Battle star, to name just a few, before even considering this, and given the amount of customs on sites like flicker and brickshelf I'd say battlestar is way ahead of the crowd, given the number of vipers, raptors & raiders I've seen.
But if there has to be a big set and it has to be time travel, then look no further than the new time machine model, that thing has technic written all over it.

Regard Marty XD
Marty

Postby Master Fetty » Sun May 17, 2009 4:16 am

I think the idea's are good and the sets you've suggested could easily be spread out over three or four years.

But I think we all need to accept something. Just because LEGO is going to make Toy Story sets doesn't mean every other film will. Toy Story is only being made because of TS3 coming out next year/the 3D release of the first two later this year. It'll be in the public eye. If there wasn't those two things, the liscense would not exist. Liscenses are aimed at LEGOs main audience. Ask children aged 7-11 if they've got a LEGO set in the past year. Then ask the same amount of 25-40 year olds. The amount of positive answers would be high for the first group and almost non-existant for the second. Adults do buy LEGO, but the few sets that are aimed at them are larger ones where the cost can justify making it for a small audience. ery rarely are these sets liscensed. It happens for Star Wars because the fan base is there. But for anything else, it really just isn't. Not in the same way at least.
Master Fetty

Postby slicer87 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 pm

I think sets of Griff's hover car and the 2015 police hover car that picks up Jennifer would be nice. Lego could also make sets of 1955 Doc's car, 1985 Marty's pickup, and 1985 Needle's pickup.
ST=CT
slicer87

Postby lego-method » Thu May 28, 2009 1:14 pm

I think your creative ideas are awesome! I just imagined if it was possible for Lego to do a series BTTF sets, they would surely sell in a span of 5 years or so. People on here can say what they want, but if it were boxed and on the shelf ...people on here would buy them regardless. I'm only saying this because i'm an active member on the my own creation sites, and I've seen some of the amazing lego deloreans people made. I really like the minifigure design...as in linked by rocksteady http://technabob.com/blog/2009/01/21/le ... -showdown/ but I do hope oneday we will see a Lego Technic Delorean :)
lego-method

Postby battletoad » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:19 am

I had also come up with some lego Back to the future sets, most of which are pretty much the same as yours but I have another idea: 1955, back to the future two, characters: Marty Mcfly, Doc Brown and Biff, scenario: The set dipicts the chase near to the end of the movie where Marty trys to get the almanac and Doc comes to save the day in the dolorian. The set will include the Dolorian, Biff's car and some small acssesories will be a little plate with the almanac cover printed on, a hoverboard and the party rope with the little flags that the Doc uses to save Marty. well thats all for know and i'll send you any more ideas I get. ceeya
battletoad

Postby legodeathstrike » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:49 am

I think these are amazing ideas! who knows maybe the right lego representative will see this thread and a light bulb might turn on. I mean Indiana jones, star wars, batman, harry potter are all trilogies or more...and back to the future is just one of those classic family movies that follow that same theme. The set ideas mentioned can easily span a few years, and regardless with what people say everyone would buy them. I would totally love the idea of a minifig scale delorean with gullwing doors and a hoverboard hidden inside, you can't forget the flux capacitor, mr fusion, & the hover conversion wheels. Lego has alway oriented to kids under 10, but my kids seen the movies and loved the trilogy.
legodeathstrike

Postby Master Fetty » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:30 am

legodeathstrike wrote:who knows maybe the right lego representative will see this thread and a light bulb might turn on.

I doubt that. If LEGO saw this thread and then made sets, we could sue them for taking our ideas. That's why Steve doesn't take set requests in the Ask LEGO section.
Master Fetty

Postby legodeathstrike » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:38 pm

Master Fetty wrote:
legodeathstrike wrote:who knows maybe the right lego representative will see this thread and a light bulb might turn on.

I doubt that. If LEGO saw this thread and then made sets, we could sue them for taking our ideas. That's why Steve doesn't take set requests in the Ask LEGO section.

I didn't direct it to Steve (I don't even know who Steve is..) I just joined this site just recently. You can't really steal ideas if nothing has ever been produced, that's just my opinion & I really don't think anyone is going to sue anybody, that just sounds silly. By the looks of it seems Rocksteady wants his ideas to be taken freely.
legodeathstrike

Postby SkwerlJones » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Sue them?! We should instead be grateful they made the sets in the first place! :D

"What is this?! I had the idea first to make a seriously cool and totally amazing Delorean model! Who does this Lego Company think they are, producing sets us fans actually want to see! I better sue them and make sure they never make another awesome and completely mind-blowing kids toy based on a classic film trilogy again!" Now, honestly, that does sound quite silly. ;)
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Return to Licensed Themes