Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Chrome Vader in UK TRU (NOW!! Spend £29.99 to get one free!)

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Chrome Vader in UK TRU (NOW!! Spend £29.99 to get one free!)

Postby bigospedros » Mon May 04, 2009 1:10 pm

As this news is not 100% confirmed / not happened yet, I'm not going to make a new thread in the Finds board ... I've seen a report that the UK will get a similar TRU deal (i.e. buy some lego, get a free chrome DV) starting on or around 7th June (a Sunday?!).

Exact details of minimum spend and dates etc are not yet confirmed.

Still, good to get more "news" about this finally coming to the UK.

(NB : Before anyone whinges, UK marketing rules forbid randomly placing this figure in sets, so the deal has to be different to the US)
Last edited by bigospedros on Sun May 24, 2009 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Re: Chrome Vader Tracking Thread

Postby Solo » Mon May 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Pete, where did you get that info, and can you elaborate on the last detail? That's rather interesting considering the number of "why don't WE get any random prizes in OUR sets over here?!" complaints...
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby bigospedros » Mon May 04, 2009 1:55 pm

A poster at Eurobricks was apparently told this as a result of an e-mail to Lego.

The marketing bit ... I don't know the exact wording and what not, but basically, as far as I understand it, in the UK (and maybe Europe too?), it's against the rules to sell a product based on the grounds that it *might* contain something extra. Basically, if it says on the box that it contains something, it has to contain it.

So, that means they can't randomly put them in the boxes ... it has to be given away in another deal, such as the assumed, buy a certain amount of SW Lego, get a chrome DV for free. Which is the same way the Mini JSF was given away a few years back.

Regarding the complaints you refer to, I would describe them as more like "why don't we get the chance to get these things?" (regardless of the delivery method) rather than how you describe :)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Mon May 04, 2009 2:21 pm

I'm sure the ones that do fit the complaint I have in mind would switch to the broader one of yours if this point was brought up anyways.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Re: Chrome Vader in Germany TRU

Postby onions » Mon May 04, 2009 2:48 pm

please stop posting this in the tracking thread. I thought splitting the topic the first time was a big enough hint to not do that.

sorry andi, i had to delete your post from that thread as I couldn't figure out a way to split your message along with the ones above since yours was on page 2.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby bigospedros » Mon May 04, 2009 2:54 pm

sorry grumpysaurus ... but as I said, didn't want to make a new thread in the "FIND" board as it's not happening just yet.

btw, this is not about German TRU's, this is about UK TRUs :P
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Mon May 04, 2009 2:58 pm

fine, go ahead edit the post then.

and insulting me really isn't winning you any awards.
onions
Founder
Founder

Re: Chrome Vader in UK TRU (in June, we think!)

Postby bigospedros » Mon May 04, 2009 3:07 pm

Thread title updated :)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Mon May 04, 2009 3:12 pm

/facepalm

I'm such a terrible mod some days.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ccjwprongs » Mon May 04, 2009 3:28 pm

:D Awesome stuff. Now we can only hope it will actually happen.

EDIT: Oh, also, this appears to be the quote from Eurobricks:

Message from LEGO, this refers to the UK Chrome Vader promo:

I am sorry, you seem to have been given the wrong date I am afraid! This promotion will be held exclusively by Toys'R'Us, but not until the 7th of June this year. You will be given one of these chromed figures when buying a LEGO Star Wars set apparently. But only as long as stock lasts!

Sounds vague. "apparently"? It's also a new member. Perhaps not the most trustworthy source then... maybe we should e-mail LEGO about it ;)
Neeeooowwwwww
ccjwprongs

Postby bigospedros » Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 am

I e-mailed Lego about this yesterday ... here's the reply :

I can confirm the date for this promotion will be 07th June, and I have also enclosed a link for you for further information regarding this, in case you have not seen this yet.
http://starwars.lego.com/en-US/10/default.aspx

A strange link to give me given that it just says "congrats" and no more details about the TRU deal, but I referred to that specifically in the mail so they have confirmed it. We'll have to keep an eye on the TRU UK website, I think.

I also passed on some feedback about the fact that this whole promotion seems to have been done on rumours and the answers from Lego seem to depend on who answers. Only last week did I ask about the same subject only to be told that there was no news. This could all be fixed by Lego having more timely news updates about these things, so we shall see if anything changes :)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby graemeozzel » Tue May 05, 2009 6:53 am

Just thinking about the date of the 7th of June, I recently purchased some Lego form TRU over £40 and got a cashback card for £10 i'm sure that has to be used by the 6th of June! And knowing how TRU work, maybe thats why the chrome's are not out till the 7th! Just an Idea?
graemeozzel

Postby ccjwprongs » Tue May 05, 2009 8:34 am

Just as a third source of confirmation, I mailed LEGO last night and got this response today:

Dear Chris,

The Chrome Darth Vader promotion in the UK will start on the 7th of June and is exclusively done by Toys’R’Us UK. All UK TRU stores will participate and presumably the consumer will get a figure if buying a LEGO Star Wars set until stock runs out.

May the force be with you.

Best wishes

Gitte Russell
LEGO Direct

It's looking good XD
Neeeooowwwwww
ccjwprongs

Postby bigospedros » Tue May 05, 2009 8:50 am

nice ending to that e-mail there :D hehe
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby alsonar » Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 am

Thats what I said.
There's just no trust anymore...
alsonar

Postby dakdogba » Tue May 05, 2009 11:20 am

getting closer but what about us poor lads in ireland!, no tru or lego shops, only basic toy shops who stock little (even less star wars) no special offers no chrome vader, no gold c-3p0, no ucs y-wing.
dakdogba

Postby lostone » Tue May 05, 2009 11:34 am

yipeee, XD XD however any idea if this will be limited to buying instore or online deals also northern ireland smetimes falls outside of uk deals, if i email tru, do you think they could confirm this or would i be better emailing lego? do ya think :shock:
lostone

Postby dathomir » Thu May 07, 2009 3:13 am

dakdogba wrote:getting closer but what about us poor lads in ireland!, no tru or lego shops, only basic toy shops who stock little (even less star wars) no special offers no chrome vader, no gold c-3p0, no ucs y-wing.

Yeah, it sucks big time living in the good ole Rep Of Ireland.

I remember a few years ago, I think Smyths had the buy a lego set and get the JSF mini set so maybe...

Just have to keep our fingers crossed.
dathomir

Next

Return to Finds/Deals