Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Toxins in LEGO?

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Toxins in LEGO?

Postby roblin » Mon May 04, 2009 4:12 am

A while ago a toy (not LEGO) I bought for my kids was recalled from the manufacturer because the paint on it was apparently found to be toxic.
Now, i have never heard anyting about LEGO specifically, but I have heard that plastic toys have had toxins such as bisphenol A in them. Im not sure if there are any proof out there it is actually dangerous, but it has certainly been debated.
Im just curious what steps LEGO have taken to make sure the bricks are safe and free from toxins? I have been building LEGO for 30 years or so and I like to think I have no larger defects :) , so it probably very safe to use LEGO. But I would still like to know how the folks at LEGO look at the 'toxins in plastic' issue.

/Robert.
roblin

Re: Toxins in LEGO?

Postby Bulls_Eye » Mon May 04, 2009 6:48 am

Legos are made of ABS plastic and are non-toxic. The recently changed the coloring process, but it's still ABS.

As with pretty much everything manufactured, there's probably some chemical somewhere in the process that is toxic. However, the final result is not toxic. There is a far greater choking hazard that any kind of poison.
Bulls_Eye

Postby roblin » Mon May 04, 2009 9:07 am

Thats very good to know. And as far as choking on a brick being more dangerous, youre soo right!

Thanks for putting my toxin troubbled mind at ease.

/R
roblin

Postby Solo » Mon May 04, 2009 11:47 am

Another big part of the toxins in plastic risk is heat combined with putting it in your mouth. Baby bottles made from the wrong material would leech chemicals into the milk, but there's no risk in a toy made from the same material outside the choking hazard.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Draykov » Mon May 04, 2009 5:35 pm

From LEGO Customer Service FAQ:

What materials are used in LEGO products?

LEGO elements are molded with the highest quality plastic material (primarily ABS or Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), by precision equipment so that they are durable and long lasting. We use only the highest quality materials and each design is thoroughly tested internally and by third party labs for safety and good play value. All our toys meet or exceed any required toy safety standards, including the provisions of the recently enacted US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA). LEGO products last for many years and most ranges are compatible with each other. Their high quality means great durability and flexibility. We know that many families pass their LEGO sets from one generation to the next.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby speaknspell » Tue May 12, 2009 12:16 pm

I don't know about the specific toxin you mentioned, but I do know that LEGO elements exceed safety expectaions for the toy industry and its one of the main reasons LEGO didn't get hit during the big recall epidemic not too long ago.

Steve
Steve's Blog - Partially Obvious
speaknspell

Postby bluemoose » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:55 am

Bulls_Eye wrote:Legos are made of ABS plastic and are non-toxic. The recently changed the coloring process, but it's still ABS.

LEGO use a lot of different plastics, but most common bricks are made from ABS. IIRC they actually use "over 30" different plastics across the whole range of products they make (source - a 'behind the scenes' tour at Billund in 2005)

For example some smaller items that get highly stressed (e.g. plate with clip) and transparent items (e.g. lightsaber blades) are made from polycarbonate to make them stronger (clear ABS is very brittle & easy to snap), but this also makes them more expensive (ABS is cheaper than polycarbonate).

The 'soft' minifig heads are another good example of where other plastics are used.

Ian
bluemoose

Postby mrfootball » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:21 pm

I'd like to see a clarification by Lego upon whether or not there's Bisphenol A in their products.
mrfootball

Postby Solo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:00 pm

Given that some transparent and high stress elements are made of polycarbonate plastic, which is made from BPA, it's clear that it is in some of the products. That doesn't mean there's any risk however, as Steve said above Lego is well within the safe range.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby MisterFubar » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:28 pm

I guess I'm going to have to stop letting my pregnant wife eat my LEGO.
MisterFubar

Postby Solo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:50 pm

That would be a wise choice, yes.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby mrfootball » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Avoiding Pthalates:

Check with your children’s toy manufactures to see if they have pledged to stop using PVC. Toymakers Brio, Chicco, Early Start, Evenflo, Gerber, Lego, Prime Time, Sassy, and Tiny Love have already made the commitment.

http://www.isitinus.org/whatyoucando.php
mrfootball

Return to Ask LEGO