Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars license expiring in 2011?!?!?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars license expiring in 2011?!?!?

Postby Draykov » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:13 pm

Jabba the Taff wrote:The Brick

Any magazine that has an article entitled "Battle of Robots and Children" (pg. 23) is okay in my book. ;)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Jabba the Taff » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Blondie-Wan wrote:
Hey, thanks for the link!
:D :check: :star:

No problem. But just thinking about it now; this puts Lucasfilm in a pretty strong position when it comes renegotiating. It'll probably be renewed but we may see another bump in prices caused by a bump in the license fee.
Jabba the Taff

Postby hassmyster » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:30 am

Yea I believe the license will be renewed considering it seems to be a cash cow for Lego. I would not see why they would not continue to push the license even further back.
hassmyster

Postby Obi-Wan Skywalker » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:37 pm

I think all us Bothans should create a petition to let lego know we want star wars! If we could create a thread with so many signatures we could help the desicion in our favor.

Now who's with me??
Quoting Firespray
There is no Ace, The Ace is a lie.

My flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/42848399@N03/
Obi-Wan Skywalker

Postby meeotch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:43 pm

It's so funny that this conversation continues to come back to "Oh noez, I hope Lego doesn't cancel teh liscence!!!111" with an apparent disregard for the fact that there are 2 parties to a license. Which of the parties involved do you think is most likely to discontinue the license? The one that makes a signinficant percentage of their profits from the license, or the one for whom the license is more of an afterthought to their bottom line?
Last edited by meeotch on Fri May 01, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby BigBenKenobi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:44 pm

The thing is, a good thing can't go on forever as much as we would like that to occur. But I wouldn't worry about it now, even if it expired in 2011, we still have 2.5 more years of collecting with great sets ahead.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby Draykov » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Obi-Wan Skywalker wrote:Now who's with me??

Pass.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby meeotch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:26 pm

Draykov wrote:Pass.

I propose we make a petition to make petitions more important. A "meta-petition," if you will. Who's with me?
meeotch

Postby Obi-Wan Skywalker » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm with you meeotch.
Quoting Firespray
There is no Ace, The Ace is a lie.

My flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/42848399@N03/
Obi-Wan Skywalker

Postby Firespray » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Draykov wrote:
Obi-Wan Skywalker wrote:Now who's with me??

Pass.

That totally made my day :lol:
Firespray

Postby dWhisper » Fri May 01, 2009 12:44 pm

The mod part of my brain is screaming at me for not bringing down the lock hammer for puntuation abuse in the subject line, but seeing Drak's response makes it all worthwhile. That and the admin controls are tricky on my phone's screen.

But seriously, what is the purpose of getting worked up over this? Or going on with predictions (which are almost as useful as internet polls)? If you want the license to continue, vote with your dollars. Go buy sets. That is the only way things are renewed. And it's not unusual to put a limit or renewal on a licensed property. I'm sure hasbro has one for action figures. So long as it's profitable for both, it will continue. But only by keeping the products selling can you affect if it is or not.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby cloner95 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 pm

There probably not going to end lego because thats there best seller making over 1 billion dollars so I think there going to renew the contract with lucas
cloner95

Postby meeotch » Fri May 01, 2009 4:53 pm

I can't tell if you're joking or not.
meeotch

Postby The Brain » Fri May 01, 2009 7:47 pm

Methinks not. See the terrible use of punctuation? :p

I think that the only time anybody should really worry about this should be sometime at the end of 2011. If they haven't sorted something out by then, chances are it won't be renewed. But seriously, folks, what are the chances of that really happening? Lego is possibly the most famous and well-liked toy in the world, and Star Wars is possibly the most popular franchise--doesn't it make sense that they'd keep two of the biggest names in the world partners?
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby txtxtx » Mon May 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Wow! When I posted the question, I never thought I would get such a response! Reading all the speculation has made me giddy with hope, to say the least. I'm glad that all(most) of my fellow Bothans are with me on this subject... At least after the April Fools joke. :lol: To (dWhisper), my sincerest apologies for my uncouth use of punctuation. I promise you-I will not do it again.
Anakin: "All right, but you owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time."
Obi-Wan: "Ninth time. That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't... doesn't count."
txtxtx

Postby dWhisper » Mon May 11, 2009 2:57 pm

I'll forgive you just for using uncouth. That's a nice fancy word.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby txtxtx » Wed May 13, 2009 7:11 am

Thanks! I use uncouth a lot in my town... Come to think of it, I use it way too much! I'm surprised I haven't used it here before!
Anakin: "All right, but you owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time."
Obi-Wan: "Ninth time. That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't... doesn't count."
txtxtx

Postby Bob P » Wed May 13, 2009 8:34 pm

It's a cashcow kids and as long as it is we're alright :D
Bob P

Postby Big Red One » Sun May 17, 2009 9:52 am

Star Wars Lego is what got me into Lego. Right now I build SW and WWII stuff and if the SW license expires I may stop buying from LEGO at all and get the parts I need on Bricklink. The only non-SW sets I own are a few Indiana Jones sets or were gifts. Bricklink, mmcb, and BrickArms (not in that order) will get my money.
Big Red One

Postby cadbane123 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:19 am

i have read through this thing inside and out cuz i dd not know it till now and well just read this thing.

1. a lot of people say that it is gone now and comin up is power miners. that is retarded. i now alot of u think that from the prank they pulled (and yes power iners is cool) but they were playing a prank that doesnt make it "the leading lego theme". its ovios that it is a dead end theme: mars mission, sponge bob, avatar, old knights, new knights aka castle, dino attack, and soon agents and pirates. it not like star wars, creator, or city witch manage to last and last with the evolution of lego. >:(
2. if lucas is that stupid to give up something this big well than he must want to sabotage his company. and also you may not know that there is an other trilogy episodes 7,8,9 if theres no lego for that then what MEGA BLOCKS? i dont think so. if your woundering filming for ep 7 is to began in 2021?????!!!???? >:(
END THING WHAT EVER YA CALL IT. if they do the unspeeckable then i will write pitions, boycot, even burn down buildings if i hvae to, but agian this is a ways away and they have renew it before and with the new pieces, minifigs, and plain out ideas its nothing to worry about. k?
:)
It's Bane, Cad Bane
cadbane123

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars