Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Rock Band...CONFIRMED!

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: LEGO Rock Band...CONFIRMED!

Postby DarkBlue » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm not completely sure what to make of this.
I think I'm mostly with Turk, though. Just... what?
DarkBlue

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Don said it best.

Solo wrote:This seems unnecessary... but I'm sure it will sell.

Lego should do a remake of every video game and just replace the characters with minifigs. Forget plastic toys, they have a brand new market. :roll: I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they continued this trend.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby b4p » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:16 pm

"The LEGO Group and Disney Announce Licensing Agreement"

the trend will continue
b4p

Postby Brickwright » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:46 pm

That's right everybody. This game will singlehandedly destroy the Lego company. I have no idea what we will do. My hobby's going to go out the window.

Do you guys really think this game will have such a crippling effect on the company as a whole? How many crappy games did TLC make in the late 90's early 00's? A lot more. Did TLC roll over and die after the first one failed? No. As far as I'm concerned, the only GOOD lego games ever released are the original Lego Island, and the recent string of licensed games. From what I can tell, Lego Universe looks fun, but there's no way to know until then. In general, Lego is not successful at making games, but they do have a few flukes here and there that are actually good. That's part of the reason why people were shocked when the first LSW came out at how enjoyable it was. So even if this game is a flop, it will not cripple the company.

It's perfectly alright not to be interested (I myself think the idea is interesting, but I don't have the time for another rock band game, since I'm waiting on the Beatles one to come out in September), as the rhythm game genre is starting to get tired, and the idea might seem so out of left field, but it is not damaging. It seems to me that parents love the idea of more child friendly games like these, so there is a market. It won't sell phenomenally, but it probably won't sell enough to encourage another one.

And to support another point, I also agree that music sets in general do have some demand as well. How many of the rookie stop motion lego music videos on youtube would be itching to use real molded pieces of instruments?

And this sort of idea doesn't just happen. The licensed games happened because Lego owned the licenses. Lego made a Drome game because Drome was part of Racers. Same with Rock Raiders. And Bionicle (repeatedly). And Alpha Team. And the mini Racers game, and the castle game. This idea is so unrelated to what they usually do, that it must have been triggered by a significant demand to go out on a limb. Therefore, somewhere out there, whether you think so or not, there's a demand for this game.

EDIT: One thing I really wish for this game would be for them to implement an song transfer tool like the one available to RB2. If you could transfer songs from the other Rock Band games, that would make this game appeal to a much wider audience, all the while not compromising the family friendliness of the original setlist. Younger kids can play the songs with it, and older folks can transfer DLC, RB1, RB2, or song packs to LRB for a more exciting set. Something like THAT would convince me to buy the game.
Brickwright

Postby Turkguy19 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Did anyone say it will destroy the LEGO company? No. I said it was a lame idea and that LEGO needs to stick to the brick rather then video games.
Turkguy19

Postby Chief » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:06 pm

Turkguy19 wrote:Did anyone say it will destroy the LEGO company? No. I said it was a lame idea and that LEGO needs to stick to the brick rather then video games.

Brickwright didn't name names ;) Cool your jets.

Reading through comments here, Brothers Brick and on Flickr, the overwhelming animosity towards this game is something I completely do not understand. Was this what it was like before LSW came out? I wasn't paying too much attention back then.

Regardless, Brickwright wrote pretty much everything I feel about this, except I wanted to add that my wife and I own Guitar Hero 3, World Tour, and both DS versions. Since our game instruments are compatible with both GH and Rock Band games, this is something we are definitely interested in and we don't even have a kid who can play it yet. :)
Chief

Postby DestructiveDelirium » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 am

The only thing turning me off from this game is the "child friendly" song choices. But that's just musical preference for me. Still a great idea having Lego Rock Band. It would be pretty cool if it allowed you to customize your own stage to preform on.
DestructiveDelirium

Postby CoR3Bu » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:39 am

Wow, what a surprise :shock: !I will definitely... NOT be getting this, first off
I have never liked Rock Band and also because I don't have a TV anywhere in my house and I would
have no intention of playing this game on my computer. Wow Lego, what a waste of your time! >8(

Colonel Reaginal Bulstrode, to attention men! >:(
CoR3Bu

Postby jpini » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:32 am

I'll probably get this for my son when it comes out. He's been begging for GH since playing it at a cousin's house at Christmas. I won't buy GH because some of the songs and graphics aren't appropriate for a 7 year old.

I like the LEGO video games, they can expose video game addicted children to an alternate form of entertainment. If the games get the kids to buy a set or two and stop playing video games for a few hours to build something; then the LEGO foray into video games is worth it.
jpini

Postby Jargon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:09 am

onions wrote:oh wait i think i read that wrong. you mean musical instrument elements don't you?

That's correct! :)

As to the 'getting away from the roots' issue:

Are you unsatisfied with the direction LEGO has been taking lately? Pricing aside, I've been quite pleased every time I've check out upcoming set previews and the like. Believe me, if LEGOizing Rock Band suddenly tipped the scales of balance in the company thus leading to inferior product quality, poor licensing choices, and global Armageddon, I'd give it a pass. But where is the evidence of this happening?

In the end, are very many of us even the target audience for this game? It's for kids and parents who want family-friendly options for them, campy as they may be.
    - Aaron
P.S. Turk, I love ya, but I'd rather actually wait to see something regarding the instruments before I judge them. :)
Jargon

Postby Inzane » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:14 am

Turkguy19 wrote:Unlike the optimistic ones above me, I think this is a rather dumb idea. I really see no need for having a LEGO version of Rockband, especially when it's the same game, just with LEGO characters. LEGO is really going away from their roots, and really, I have a feeling it's gonna turn out bad if they continue down this path.

Big 2nd.

My first reaction: FAIL!!! :lol:
Inzane

Postby Jargon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 am

I really see no need for having a LEGO version of Rockband, especially when it's the same game, just with LEGO characters.

At the risk of becoming overinvested in this debate, I wanted to address this.

This is not the same game. The content of this game, meaning the actual songs that you play to, are different. Calling this the same as the original would be like calling the old side-scroller versions of Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country the same. Note that they have close to identical mechanics, yet each is a different game.

I'm still surprised by the controversy of all this.
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby Flynn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Turkguy19 wrote:What is so hard to understand what getting away from their roots means? LEGO started as a building toy, not a video game company.

To be fair, LEGO has been releasing games since the 90's, so it's not recent. Also, not every company "sticks to their roots", for instance, Nintendo was originally a card company.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Chief » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:37 pm

I think FBTB should abandon its Star Wars roots and cover a different theme.
Chief

Postby puffdaddy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:48 pm

Chief wrote:I think FBTB should abandon its Star Wars roots and cover a different theme.

That's a good idea. I doubt the internet has a Lego Rock Band Forum yet. We can be the first! ;)

I'm not overly excited about the game, but it's a cute idea, and I will probably get it. Mainly because I love Rock Band and I love Lego. I don't really care if it's more family friendly, the games are still fun, and I'm sure this will be fun too. Rock Band 2 is one of my favorite games, so having a Lego version isn't all bad to me.

I think this will be a hit with kids who are into Lego. The only problem I see is the fact that Rock Band tends to be pretty expensive, once you factor in instruments and stuff. But, I can see kids getting together with friends or family and playing this. I think it will be a good family game.
puffdaddy

Postby Chief » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:02 pm

It's settled. From Bricks to Bands it is!
Chief

Postby CaptainPike » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:08 pm

For something they claim not to be interested in, there sure have been alot of people comment on this thread. Some one them have come back 2 or 3 time to say they are not interested. What's up with that?
CaptainPike

Postby The Brain » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 pm

:lol: :lol:

You guys have no idea how hard I laughed when I saw this.

IMHO, this is a brilliant move by TLC. This will sell to almost anyone who liked GH or RB, and little kids who haven't tried either. Just because it's kid friendly doesn't mean it's not fun.

Having said that, my true thought about this = WTF? I understood TLC making games such as LSW, Batman, and Indiana Jones, but that's because they were making sets from this theme. What caught me off guard about this is that it's a totally different theme, and have never had anything like it EVAR in brick form. So, the question I ask about Lego choosing game brands that they haven't made sets for is something like: Why not make a "kid-friendlyified" Lego Halo game? I think it would sell just as well as this idea...I don't have much of a problem with Lego making video games (even when they suck, it doesn't detract from the actual plastic brick Lego sets), but I think this was just a weird choice.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Turkguy19 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:45 pm

CaptainPike wrote:For something they claim not to be interested in, there sure have been alot of people comment on this thread. Some one them have come back 2 or 3 time to say they are not interested. What's up with that?

It's called a discussion, try it sometime.
Turkguy19

Postby Masta' Bo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm not exactly sure if all RB fans will like this, seriosuly, not many GH fans liked the Aerosmith venture...ugh...But what we did learn from that mistake was that not everybody that likes music games can identify to all music games; on the other hand, some people who have avoided music games in the past might want to try this one for it is not focused on ONE band, it has a kid-friendly theme, and it has freakin' LEGO in it! C'mon. everybody here knows that LEGO is teh best. If you don't your a MEGA(BRANDS)-Commie!
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes