Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Images for New Hobbit Sets Found

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Images for New Hobbit Sets Found

Postby Staff » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:37 pm

While fuzzy, unkempt pictures have been circulating for a couple of days (which were watermarked, and thus, not posted here), sharp eyed reader Kez sent us a notice that the Swedish online store, Brixit, a place I've never heard of (not being from Sweden, I suppose), has posted four new sets in all of their hi-res glory, un-watermarked glory. Three new sets have been added to the lineup:

• 79011 Dol Guldur Ambush, a smallish set that looks to be similar to Uruk-hai army

• 79012 Mirkwood Elf Army, a set that looks to be about the size of Warg Attack (perhaps larger, could be more in Bag End price range), and just sent the price of Mirkwood elf polybags on a downward curve

• 79014 Dol Guldur Battle, which looks a whole lot like Helm's Deep

While we knew about the Lake Town battle set when it was revealed at Comic Con, the other three are new. It looks like both of the Dol Guldur sets are taking a page out of Uruk-hai and Helm's Deep, and can be fit together. That's not surprising, given that The Hobbit was basically trying to sucker people into paying to see The Hobbit without realizing it was just the same movies and effects presented again. Nothing in this bunch impresses me like Bag End did when it was first leaked leading up to The Hobbit.

What does everyone else think?

20506218-origpic-d2f00a

20506218-origpic-003d4b

20506193-origpic-d9fb37

20506193-origpic-21674b

20506191-origpic-6338a0

20506191-origpic-3c81c6

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/10/19/images-for-new-hobbit-sets-found/
Staff

Re: Images for New Hobbit Sets Found

Postby that guy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Dare I make the first snarky comment regarding Azog (yes the EXACT same Azog of Comic-Con fame) being included in the set? Someone at Lego clearly has an awesome sense of humor. I wonder who won the pool there for how much someone would pay for one. Enough said...
:lol:
that guy

Postby Trooper10 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:50 pm

that guy wrote:... I wonder who won the pool there for how much someone would pay for one. Enough said...
:lol:

lolololol
I'm only getting hi rez link on the back of the first box
Thoughts:
I think the Dol Guldur sets look a bit smaller than the Helm's Deep pair - certainly less figs. Sets based on stuff not in the book and responsible for 3 instead of 2 movies are fairly uninspiring...the Beorn looks very weird to me (not how I imagine him) and the necromancer fig looks lame. However, Radagast fig look fairly sweet and the elves set looks ok, Thranduil's head piece looks interesting especially. I guess prices might determine desirability since apart from the figs all three sets seem to be comprised mainly of generic castle/rock wall sort of bits and pieces...and I'm a little disappointed that only the mirkwood elves have a missile defense system in place - I would have thought the necromancer would have sorted one out instead of employing the HIC (Highly Ineffective Catapault) defense system...no wonder he
Spoiler: show
gets evicted by those meddling wizards
Trooper10

Postby onions » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:56 pm

Trooper10 wrote:I'm only getting hi rez link on the back of the first box

fixed
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:34 am

Figs look awesome but sets themselves look bland....prices will determine if buying.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 am

Definitely buying multiples of several of these, especially the Mirkwood Elf Army!
The_Chosen_1

Postby wyldjedi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:58 am

The Mirkwood Elf Army looks like the Uruk Hai army equivalent. Though a few more parts and same number of figures. The horse has been replaced with a wolf... so I would think that it would have the price point of $35 - 40 tops. If that is that case I could see myself getting quite a few of them. Dol Guldur Ambush looks nice for some extra orcs but I would hope it is only $20. Any more and I might not get it. Guldur battle looks ok, good number of figs (and I laugh at the people spending tons of $ on that Azog fig). Considering what looks like a good amount of parts, I would bet that set would be around $45-50, any more and I would wait until it goes on sale. They all look really nice and I could easily see myself getting a bunch of them... but that all depends on the price.
wyldjedi

Postby dWhisper » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Ambush replaces Uruk-hai army. Even looking at the back, you can see that it's meant to clip on to the fortress, like Uruk-hai did to Helm's Deep.

Based on the price conversion and random guessing, prices would look to be $25 (perhaps $30)... no way it would be $20 for Ambush, $40 for Mirkwood (though I could see this being $50 and replacing Attack of the Wargs in the lineup), and the Fortress is likely replacing Goblin King Battle at $100. No way it's in the $50 range.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Tohst » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:09 am

Actually $20 seems reasonable for Ambush....after all the nice markdowns that Hobbit/LoTR sets routinely seem to get.

Maybe Target will even forget to put them on a shelf plan again and clearance them at 30% off again a few weeks after they show up.

Tohst - I fell asleep amid the flowers
Tohst
Staff Writer

Postby rushiosan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:31 am

I liked both Dol Guldur battle and Ambush, but only because of unique minifigures. The build is very weak and all we get is some BURPs and tons of dark gray slopes. They're not very useful unless you want to MOC a big mountain or something. In my country, they should come for R$ 500 (around US$ 250) and R$ 150 (around US$ 75). Definitely don't worth getting. I'll pass the whole line this time... :(
rushiosan

Postby CaptainFordo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Minor spoilers with Necromancer's appearance. All the sets look pretty dull and uninspired, the Elvish one, especially could've been a bit more... Elven in design, shame =/
CaptainFordo

Postby lego the hutt » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:33 am

I will get them but I'm not super excited..though sets that connect together are always nice.

My first reaction is that I'm not a big fan of sets with multiple small builds. I like sets to connect together, not a fan of sets such as Mines of Moria that could have been 2 or 3 smaller sets put into one. That seems to be how the mirkwood set is.

The mirkwood fortress seems like it needs more trees or more foliage. A brown warg is nice. Thranduil looks nice. Nice to get Radagast.

These seem to be all about the minifigures but maybe once we see DoS the locations the sets depict will seem more relevant.
lego the hutt

Return to Licensed Themes