Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Simpsons TV Show Announced

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO Simpsons TV Show Announced

Postby Staff » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:08 am

Simpsons-Money

UK-based geek site Nerdly is reporting that a LEGO Simpsons tv show is in the works a la The Yoda Chronicles. They are also confirming that a Simpsons House set will be available as a D2C set in April of 2014 accompanied by a blind bag Collectible Minifigure range with 16 minifigs in May of 2014.

While a LEGO Simpsons television special seems like an bizarre mash up and unlikely to happen just because of its strange and accelerated nature, Bleeding Cool has reported that The Simpsons director David Silverman has more or less confirmed the project via the following tweet:

LEGO has had the Star Wars license for 14 years before The Yoda Chronicles became a reality. LEGO Simpsons is coming out of the gate with all cylinders firing: D2C product, CMF line, most likely other sets, and a television special all in its first year. It seems like LEGO is putting a lot of effort and resources into the Simpsons. It remains to be seen how long the terms of the license are.

via Bleeding Cool via Nerdly
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/09/17/lego-simpsons-tv-show-announced/
Staff

Re: LEGO Simpsons TV Show Announced

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 am

Big pink house with blue windows may just draw me in for that set.
buriedbybricks

Postby NickBrick » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:01 am

Blind bag minifigs?!?! My wallet weeps
NickBrick

Postby riotact » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 am

I was really hoping this would be a one and done line. One group of 4 or 5 sets and that's it. That's what my wallet and shelf space want, but a big house and a minifig series I'll have to get those too. I'm excited and dreading it all at the same time.
riotact

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:38 am

If they are going to start doing collectible minifig series based on licensed properties, they REALLY, REALLY need to work out some way to do it for DC Superheroes. That seems like the only way we'll ever get a decent selection of DC minifigs. They could do Marvel, too, of course, but they seem to be doing a better job doing a variety of Marvel figs (probably because Marvel is doing a better job having a variety of their characters on screen).
Mister Ed

Postby NickBrick » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:58 am

There won't be any such minifig line for Marvel or DC as Hasbro and Mattel own the licenses for action figures. You'll only see minifigs included with construction sets. Hasbro put a stop to individual Star Wars minifigs years ago so as far as everyone can tell its the same way with DC figures (Mattel) and Marvel (also Hasbro). When the licenses expire or are re-signed they may re-negotiate on this little sticking point as many agree that Lego minifigs and the action figures Mattel and Hasbro make are not in anyway similar. I think the Simpsons are easy to do this way because I don't think they have a current action figure license with anyone (year ago was Macfarlane and before that Playmates)
NickBrick

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:52 pm

I think it probably COULD be done, through negotiation with Mattel or Hasbro, but it would cut into the profitability, since their exclusivity would mean they'd only allow it if they got a cut. I've heard of at least one case of a company with an exclusive license (in this case for tabletop games for a certain property) working with another company (that had a popular line of card games) to produce a crossover product, so it CAN be done. Whether it would be possible in this case with everybody being happy about their cut is another matter.
Mister Ed

Postby banthafodder » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:59 pm

D'oh; that's the sound of my wallet watching the money pour out.
banthafodder

Postby Solo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:24 pm

I am still attempting to withhold judgement until the minifigs are unveiled, but this announcement surprised me.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby NickBrick » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Mister Ed wrote:I think it probably COULD be done, through negotiation with Mattel or Hasbro, but it would cut into the profitability, since their exclusivity would mean they'd only allow it if they got a cut. I've heard of at least one case of a company with an exclusive license (in this case for tabletop games for a certain property) working with another company (that had a popular line of card games) to produce a crossover product, so it CAN be done. Whether it would be possible in this case with everybody being happy about their cut is another matter.

Yes possible but not probable. Hasbro has already said no in regards to Star Wars I think its safe to assume that due to lack of individual Marvel minifigs the same answer applies. Perhaps now that Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars they will look to amend any standing contract but thats not likely either since the SW-Hasbro contract was renewed within the last couple years and doesn't expire until, I think, 2020. Hasbro knows that with the new trilogy there is a lot more money to be made.
As far as Mattel, they are nto the company that Hasbro and Lego are. The only Mattel figures I have collected over the years are Dark Knight and Man of Steel Movie Masters and from what I understand from other collectors getting good quality figures from them consistently isn't really their thing so I wouldn't expect them to agree to cut into they're own profits and agree to individual DC minifigs. WOuld like to be wrong but I just don't see it happening.
I think ultimately the burden lies with Lego to get us more Marvel and DC figures fans want. Getting 2-3 minifigs with small sets (Iron Man Mandarin set, Lex mech set, Iron Man War Machine, Killian sets, etc) are actually good deals but they need to give us more variety. How many more versions of Batman do we need? (with more on the way next year) There are hundreds of Marvel and DC characters to be mined but Lego want to appeal to kids who are familiar with the big names - Superman, Batman, Iron Man, Spiderman, etc., so that obviously dictates their decision making over older collectors who want lesser known characters. But Marvel has a good slate of movies coming up in the next couple years (also the video game) so hopefully we get Fantasic Four sets, X-men sets, Guardians of the Galaxy set, etc. As for DC only movie on horizon is Batman vs Superman. I would expect a healthy dose of more Batman until then.
NickBrick

Postby gomek » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:52 pm

A Simpsons CMF line is the best possible outcome for me. Unless the ratios of the figures are messed up where I can't reasonably get a set, in which case I bag the line completely. I sort of feel the same way as I do with TMNT, where it's easy enough for me just not to collect than to chase after figures I can't afford, but I would have probably done it for under $200 for a set. Unfortunately with the super hero figs I'm too far down the rabbit hole, and I put up with the abuse.

With the license stuff, I get all the exclusivity business. But really, why can't they just do more battle packs with new figures. Problem solved. If Lego puts out a series of superhero battle packs, x-men, JLA, teen titans, GL corps, Avengers (previously unreleased & comic inspired) etc, etc,. I buy them all, no question. Every last one, probably 2 or 3 sets each. A $150 dollar set with 3 unique figures, not so much.
gomek

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:55 pm

NickBrick wrote:There won't be any such minifig line for Marvel or DC as Hasbro and Mattel own the licenses for action figures. You'll only see minifigs included with construction sets. Hasbro put a stop to individual Star Wars minifigs years ago so as far as everyone can tell its the same way with DC figures (Mattel) and Marvel (also Hasbro). When the licenses expire or are re-signed they may re-negotiate on this little sticking point as many agree that Lego minifigs and the action figures Mattel and Hasbro make are not in anyway similar. I think the Simpsons are easy to do this way because I don't think they have a current action figure license with anyone (year ago was Macfarlane and before that Playmates)

Star Wars was a unique case in that Hasbro paid for an exclusive contract. Marvel and DC have multiple figure lines with different companies, so exclusivity is a non-issue.

There has already been a blind bag collect-a-fig Marvel series through Mega, so a LEGO one is certainly no stretch if they wanted to do it.
buriedbybricks

Postby dWhisper » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 am

The money I would spend on Marvel/DC CMF would probably lead to me getting a divorce... that or killed and left in a field that no one will ever find...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby NickBrick » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:12 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:
NickBrick wrote:There won't be any such minifig line for Marvel or DC as Hasbro and Mattel own the licenses for action figures. You'll only see minifigs included with construction sets. Hasbro put a stop to individual Star Wars minifigs years ago so as far as everyone can tell its the same way with DC figures (Mattel) and Marvel (also Hasbro). When the licenses expire or are re-signed they may re-negotiate on this little sticking point as many agree that Lego minifigs and the action figures Mattel and Hasbro make are not in anyway similar. I think the Simpsons are easy to do this way because I don't think they have a current action figure license with anyone (year ago was Macfarlane and before that Playmates)

Star Wars was a unique case in that Hasbro paid for an exclusive contract. Marvel and DC have multiple figure lines with different companies, so exclusivity is a non-issue.

There has already been a blind bag collect-a-fig Marvel series through Mega, so a LEGO one is certainly no stretch if they wanted to do it.

I don't think anyone really knows because Marvel, Lego, Hasbro, have never made any specific formal announcement on the matter. I think it will take someone asking them but I assume we will get some vague 'Licensing issues" non-answer. I am just making an educated guess based upon what we know about the Hasbro-Star Wars-Lego situation. When Mega and Marvels deal ended and Marvel signed with Lego (which I believe predates the newest Lucasfilm-Hasbro deal, not to mention the even newer Lucasfilm-Disney deal) I am betting Hasbro stepped in and reminded Lego and Marvel - "hey we have this whole SW-action figure-minifigure exclusivity situation, lets make sure this isn't an issue here either". These licensing deals are more complicated than us collectors and fans think about (Mega can still make Spiderman movie sets but Lego can make Spiderman tv/comic sets). In the end if it turns out that Lego can make blind bag characters it may come down to it just being more cost effective for them to put 2 - 3 well known characters in a $20 set than giving us the figures outright. But like I said before collectors, fans, kids, etc don't see Lego minifigs and action figures as the same thing it would be nice if all the kinks (if any) were worked out and definitions distringuished (maybe possible since Disney now owns SW and Marvel) as it would make for happy collectors and benefit Lego's bottom line.
NickBrick

Postby dWhisper » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:26 am

buriedbybricks wrote:I hope she'd bury you at least.

Does chopping into small pieces and securing in old kitty litter tubs count as burial? Because she's got a bunch of those stashed in my shed for some reason...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Return to Licensed Themes