Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

We're Off To See The Wizard! Oz Hits 10,000 On CUUSOO

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

We're Off To See The Wizard! Oz Hits 10,000 On CUUSOO

Postby Staff » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:12 pm

One more project squeaks by for the summer review period as JeremiahKC's The Road to Oz becomes the seventh to achieve the needed votes. The project actually revolves around the much better known The Wizard Of Oz, which has been public domain for over 50 years, so licensing should not be a huge obstacle on this one at least. If Ghostbusters is considered a classic geek film then The Wizard Of Oz would have to be the godfather of pop culture. Any fan of FBTB should have no trouble seeing how far it's influenced has spread and I can't remember a time when it wasn't popping up in at least one medium. I still have nightmares about the old Canadian made Tales of the Wizard of Oz cartoon that plagued the airways of the CBC when I was a kid, but I've still always liked the original subject matter. I wish JeremiahKC luck in the upcoming review and it will be interesting to see how the older property will fair in consideration with all the newer kids on the block.

So who's in for an Oz themed set? Would you be likely to buy one or would you just stick with your existing LEGO robot, Laval, witch and scarecrow (take your pick) figs and call it a pass?
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/09/01/were-off-to-see-the-wizard-oz-hits-10000-on-cuusoo/
Staff

Re: We're Off To See The Wizard! Oz Hits 10,000 On CUUSOO

Postby dWhisper » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:22 pm

The book is in the public domain, but the movie is not. It's actually been a fairly protracted legal battle over the years, but given that the stamp on this is "75th Anniversary," it's obviously based on the movie and not the book. Which means there would be licensing involved... yes, you could make some tweaks to it but it would still be a very, very hard fight over it unless great lengths were taken to make it so generic it would kill the attraction of the set to collectors.

Because there isn't anyone out there that would be collecting based on the book...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Mister Ed » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:29 pm

dWhisper wrote:Because there isn't anyone out there that would be collecting based on the book...

I might. Our family has read all the Oz books (well, all the ones by Baum), and would, for the right price, be perfectly happy with sets based on the book's illustrations. Dorothy is SUPPOSED to have blonde hair, anyway. ;)
Mister Ed

Postby buriedbybricks » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:37 pm

Yeah, but WB has the movie rights and LEGO is already in bed with them, so I don't think it would be hard either way they go.

Oh and I originally thought that a Road to Oz set would have to include Tik-Tok, so I would probably be one of the nerdy book based collectors too. Since I already collect books.
buriedbybricks

Postby dWhisper » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Nerds!

In truth, Wizard of Oz is one of those fallback gifts for my dad, who was a big fan of the movies. The biggest issue I see with this is that the movie, which would most certainly be what the vast majority of people associate the sets with, has been slowly receding out of the public eye. My dad forced me to watch it when it came on TV for the annual showing (something he'd been doing almost his entire life), but that practice died off in the 90s. Since then, it moved to cable, DVD releases, etc, but hasn't been a huge event for some time.

I'm not sure where the popularity would lie... toys based on it (like the Barbie and collectible figure lines from a few years back) weren't exactly the most popular (I picked them up on clearance as gifts), and more recent outings did okay in theaters but weren't known for their merchandising tie-ins (unless I missed the Oz the Great and Powerful toys somewhere).

Cool idea, but hard to see it going much of anywhere...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:59 am

That's where I see the issue with this as well.

Are enough people going to buy it that LEGO will want to produce it?

Even the crappy Ghostbusters stuffed toys seem to sell out everywhere I've seen.

I still think it has the second best chance in this review though.
buriedbybricks

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:27 am

I would definitely buy this - there's a reason I supported it, after all!
The_Chosen_1

Postby gomek » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:36 pm

I don't really think this set will need many tweaks to be based on the book. Really the only thing I see are the ruby slippers ( I believe they were silver in the book.) That being said I would think MGM would have it their best interest to work something out.

Anyways, this is a must have for me either way. Wizard of Oz is a classic.
gomek

Postby darth_fett » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:22 pm

if it came down to this and Ghostbusters, I'd take Ghostbusters any day. As cool as Flying Monkeys are, seeing that Minecraft got expansions, i would love to see Ghostbusters Expansions. Ecto 1A first, and then maybe 4 sets that combine into a Firehouse set. Ghost containment unit w/ exploding action and a bunch of ghosts to release, the firepole and bunks, Egon's lab w/ hapless test subjects and a tub of pink goo, and of course the garage w/ huge doors to bust open. Also i wouldn't mind a Gozer the Gozerian playset w/ Zuul and Clotho devil dogs, Stay Puft, and crossed streams.
darth_fett

Postby Flynn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Minecraft getting an expansion set is in no way a guarantee that if the GB set got passed it would get an expansion line, and picking based on a hypothetical possibility is a tiny bit absurd.

But anyways, yeah, the books are in the PD, movie is not- though it would be were it not for Disney.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby gomek » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:48 pm

Imagine if Lego actually passed two sets throught. I know, I know, totally crazy. I believe though. I believe!!!
gomek

Postby Darth Caedus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:16 am

Actually gonna say I'd take this over Ghostbusters solely because I don't trust them to get Murray's widow's peak right.

Also, a Tin Man would be dope. I wish he and the Cowardly Lion were CMF's, I'd army build the crap out of them.

Actually, I think it's really a toss up as to which I'd prefer to get made. If this goes through, though...and Bag END thought it was the ultimate green parts pack...lol!
Darth Caedus

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:17 pm

gomek wrote:I don't really think this set will need many tweaks to be based on the book. Really the only thing I see are the ruby slippers ( I believe they were silver in the book.)

Well, that and the fact that Dorothy is blonde in the books.
Mister Ed

Return to Licensed Themes