Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Ben Affleck Cast As The Next Batman

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Ben Affleck Cast As The Next Batman

Postby Robzula » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:29 am

This last award season, we had a contest at work to see who could predict the outcome best. It was the first time I ever really paid attention to the Academy Awards and I was incredibly depressed at how little attention was paid to who actually deserved an award for their performance(/writing/design/etc.). It was all just politics and buzz (which was remarkably easy to follow, hence I crushed the competition).

I don't know or care enough about Affleck to say whether or not he'll do good in the role. All I can say is it seems to me that the whole reason he got picked was because all the buzz around him and Argo during the awards. And that pisses me off. Though with how tired I am of the Nolan-esque super hero movies and how everyone involved in MoS showed just how much they absolutely do not 'get' the character of Superman, I'm really having a hard to caring at all about the next one.

Mister Ed wrote:Actually, I will agree with you on the notion that a Green Lantern Corps film would be a good idea...I loved the Green Lantern Animated series, myself, and Hal was barely ever on Earth for the whole thing.

Check out Green Lantern: First Flight and Emerald Knights if you haven't (and then the rest of the DCU AOMs).

Darth Caedus wrote:One thing is certain now, above all: when it comes to comic book movies, the Marvel Movie Universe reigns supreme.

Not on the animated side of things.

Really, why do they bother with getting "real" directors and actors when the people doing the cartoons do it so much better. Not just in DC either; Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was better than the MCU, Spectacular Spider-Man was better than even Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy (don't get me started on the turd that was Amazing Spider-Man), Transformers: Prime... hell, even G1 Transformers was better than "Let's Watch Shia LeBeouf go on a job hunt! oh and also Transformers."

It's 9 in the morning and I haven't been to sleep yet, my apologies if this is a bit incoherent.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 am

Robzula wrote:Not on the animated side of things.

The animated films aren't part of the MCU and so not really relevant to the point. Earth's mightiest Heroes was pretty good, but cartoon series have fewer budget restrictions and tonnes of time to flesh out characters. EMH still managed to limp by on the writing most often imo.
buriedbybricks

Postby Robzula » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:41 am

buriedbybricks wrote:
Robzula wrote:Not on the animated side of things.

The animated films aren't part of the MCU and so not really relevant to the point. Earth's mightiest Heroes was pretty good, but cartoon series have fewer budget restrictions and tonnes of time to flesh out characters. EMH still managed to limp by on the writing most often imo.

The fact that the direct to dvd DC animated movies can compare to the big, blockbuster live-action Marvel movies kinda makes my point, but I was strictly speaking DC animated vs. Marvel animated. Yes, I understood was Caedus meant, I took it as a jumping off point.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:46 am

They still don't really compare. Only about half of the time are they worth watching and they are stunted shadows of the original material in almost all cases. An interesting diversion with no emotional impact or significance beyond that with only the odd exception.
buriedbybricks

Postby dWhisper » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Half is being generous... they don't compare to the Marvel Universe blockbusters, they overshadow the DC Universe blockbusters. But to think that any of the DC animated movies can beat event the worst of the modern MFU (what would that be, Iron Man 2 or the Edward Norton Hulk movie?) is just crazy. Most are just churned-out rehashes of established story (Superman vs. Doomsday, for example), and those that aren't are usually killed before they can develop.

More than that... there is a plan with the Marvel Film Universe. With Bruce Timm gone from DC Animation, I have no hope that it will continue on anything even close to a "path."
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes