Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Poptropica Reaches 10,000 Votes On LEGO CUUSOO

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Poptropica Reaches 10,000 Votes On LEGO CUUSOO

Postby Staff » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:35 am

If you're like me, your first reaction was "What the heck is Poptropica?". It sounds like some carbonated fruit drink, but it is apparently an online game for kids. Well, it has achieved the 10,000 needed votes to enter a future review (the next scheduled review covers projects from the first quarter of 2013, so I doubt this will be looked at before 2014), but I have reservations about this one that are different from previous licensed properties.

This project was submitted by the games creator just like Minecraft, but in that case if I remember correctly the company was willing to forego their cut of the proceeds just to get it made. Makes sense right? Anyone who would design a game like Minecraft is probably a LEGO fan already. In the case of the Popcreators, I'm left to wonder if it was more of a publicity stunt. If the set gets made, you have product on the shelves backed by a huge toy juggernaut and it cost you pretty much squat. If not, you still stand to get some publicity from the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that per se as it seems like a great business idea, but I wonder how many of the fans would actually buy the product. A set aimed specifically at kids seems like a no brainer, but CUUSOO is a different animal. Limited hand packed runs of special edition sets, only carried by a handful of retailers doesn't seem like the best option for a set aimed primarily at kids. Previous CUUSOO sets had a far higher appeal to an older fanbase, but I could be way off here and there could be tonnes of teens and adults who love this too and if so that bodes well for both LEGO and Poptropica.

Again though, the vote numbers could be skewed because the pre-existing game users were given actual in game rewards as the project achieved certain plateaus. This Kickstarter like perk system is hardly new on CUUSOO, but I don't think it's ever given such a large group outside the LEGO community instant gratification as a project progressed. So how many voters came just for the promise of nifty in game costumes, etc? If I was just to go by the comments on the CUUSOO project, I could assume quite a few. Afterall, the project was started in January, but took seven months to amass 10,000 votes even though it has over 2 million views. CUUSOO will have a lot to take into consideration on this one as always, but at least the hurdle of getting licence approval from the creator is less of an issue. That could put it one step ahead of the Ghostbusters in the upcoming review.

All that aside, would I pay $40 for a pink bunny suited figure? If the parts were interesting enough and/or in the right quantity to offset the price, probably. If the set is too small or uninteresting, then no pink bunny. That's what it comes down to for me. What are your thoughts?

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/08/16/poptropica-reaches-10000-votes-on-lego-cuusoo/
Staff

Re: Poptropica Reaches 10,000 Votes On LEGO CUUSOO

Postby Trooper10 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 am

Zero interest.

No idea what it is, nor do I care to learn beyond what I just read and there are already too many product lines terrorizing my wallet...
Trooper10

Postby plebeianprint » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:20 pm

This is everything that is wrong with the way that the West treats CUUSOO. It's a licensed creation that is more about fandom than creation, that (probably) trolled the requisite number of votes from non-Lego fans that will never purchase said Lego set. It's a waste of Lego's time & resources.

How did it even get 10,000 votes? I have never even heard of this game, and 95% of my internet time is spent on video game news sites (yes, I know it's a kid's game; that shouldn't matter).
plebeianprint

Postby Margot » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:37 pm

Poptropica is soooo much fun. Don't knock it until you try it. It takes brain power to make it through to the end and I think kids learn about it because they get introduced to it in school. It may be a kid's game but don't be surprised if you spend hours trying to complete a quest.

www.poptropica.com
Margot

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:18 pm

plebeianprint wrote: It's a licensed creation that is more about fandom than creation, that (probably) trolled the requisite number of votes from non-Lego fans that will never purchase said Lego set.

I wouldn't be so sure that they won't buy it. All they'll have to do is arrange to include a code for some in-game doodad, and I bet a bunch of people will pick one up even if they have no other LEGO. ;)

But, yeah, this seems a silly idea for a set, and I ENJOY Poptropica (or have, haven't played in quite some time). But then, I thought the same thing about the Minecraft set, and that apparently is selling well enough that they are making more.
Mister Ed

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Rabbit mech with a pink rabbit suit.
Why not.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby gomek » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:41 pm

It looks like when you go to the Poptropica site, that the people who created the game are majorly promoting the Cuusoo project. I just can't figure out it the Cuusoo project was started by the makers of the game.

While I don't know a thing about the game, it does make a lot of sense. Lego introduces fans to the game, and the game introduces fans to Lego.
gomek

Postby Margot » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:24 am

"While I don't know a thing about the game, it does make a lot of sense. Lego introduces fans to the game, and the game introduces fans to Lego."

It really does make sense. Poptropica is very popular with elementary school age kids so the overlap with Lego is great. And for those who don't know Poptropica was created by Jeff Kinney who wrote the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. All good for Lego, all good for Poptropica... I would love a Lego Poptropica pink bunny suit guy.
Margot

Postby Faefrost » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Congrats to the Poptropica team for hitting 10k. Personally I don't have a major issue with how they blended this project with their game product. It seems like a tasteful and not in your face form of drubbing up interest in their stuff. As for whether or not I would buy it? I'll confess its not my top choice for CuuSoo projects, but if it gets made I would probably grab one. Just for the pink bunny suit fig and the giant rabbit robot. They are so cute and bizarre that I could easily find them a place terrorizing my Lego town and facing off against the AGENTS.

Of course this is probably a totally moot discussion to have. This project and the FTL one will in all likelihood be facing off against not one but two similar Ghostbusters projects. So effectively 20k votes in one period for a GB Ambulance set, right as the BttF set sells out in hours? Yeah, barring some insanely onerous licensing terms from Sony or the GB principles, Poptropica and FTL have no chance against that.
Faefrost

Return to Licensed Themes