Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SDCC] Marvel and DC Minifigure Giveaways: How LEGO Gamed the System Part 1

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: [SDCC] Marvel and DC Minifigure Giveaways: How LEGO Game

Postby that guy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:34 pm

They're disappointed when a 1x2 cheese slope shows up on the resale market, so why should an ULTRA RARE NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN minfig be any different?? All I can say is......REALLY???

They're delusional if they honestly (in their heart of hearts) create and distribute these with the sole intention of only the the kid or adult at the show getting them and playing with them or sticking them on a shelf and never ending up online. They're given away at one place in the world and no matter what there are people worldwide itching like a meth addict to get one so what would there alternative be?? I'd love to know their answer, maybe it's "we're disappointed that Sergei from Russia couldn't A) win the ticket lottery to even get a ComicCon 4 day pass, then B) find a hotel room that's not in Chula Vista or Escondido, C) then spend thousands on tickets to fly halfway around the world to D) get in line with an unknown chance of winning even one of the rare minifigs that were given away each day but that's just life. We wish im better luck next year" As others have said, I wouldn't expect much else from a company that has banned countless other people from even buying from them as it is. I feel like LEGO® is Heisenberg and I'm watching an episode of Bricking Bad; they've cooked the perfect batch of pure brick and they want everyone to buy it, but nobody else to profit from it. Good times. They will have to learn they can't have it both ways at some point. It's the price of having an amazing product and they should be more thankful that it's supported on the secondary market as much as it is.
that guy

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:35 pm

"Our goal is to offer a limited edition collectible to as many fans as possible in a fair and equitable manner."

I have a real problem with this portion of the PR response in particular. It's sad to see that LEGO is falling prey to referring to their products as "collectibles"; they are not. They are toys. I fear that what was once a promotion with good intentions has backfired and produced a lot of bad blood among Lego fans young and old.
The_Chosen_1

Postby gomek » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:50 pm

In reply to the LEGO response...

Well, everything they are saying is pretty much expected. Whether or not they rigged it, they'll never admit, and I certainly do not think that the customer reps would really have any idea whether something happened or not anyway.

For me personally, my main issues are with the entire system in general. The rigging and all that are just bound to happen any time you have a system where such a select few people are benefiting so greatly.

Margot wrote: It would be really nice if this didn't happen, but how do you keep the limited editions out of the resellers hands?

The only way to keep these off ebay is to stop doing them! It is the only real answer and the one that will benefit everyone. The only winners in this, and in every situation that involves artificial rarity, are the scalpers. In reality the collectors just receive the same minifig they would have should these have been publicly released.

crazybirdman wrote:if they wanted to give them to kids, why make super awesome exclusive figures?

I have to say, in all of this, by far the most ridiculous theories are that these should be given to kids, or that giving them to kids will keep theses figures off ebay. There is no better way to insure that every single one wind up on ebay than to give them to kids. No parent in their right mind would let their child play with a $400 figure. If Lego even cared one ounce about kids they would give the kids $2 non-exclusive figures that their parents would let them play with. (Parents who put that $400 into their child's college fund not withstanding)
gomek

Postby Neal_Caffrey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Margot wrote:"We are equally disappointed that there is an audience who receive limited edition figures and then sell them at a premium online; this is not in our interest, nor is it the intention of our activity at SDCC."

It would be really nice if this didn't happen, but how do you keep the limited editions out of the resellers hands?

You can't keep them out of the hands of the resellers, however, you can make it where there is no money in it for them, such as producing 20,000 for the event and then offering them on ShopLego.com for a price or as a buy-with-purchase promotion.

Collectors that can't attend SDCC can they wait for the ShopLego.com sale and not have to resort to Ebay to purchase them.

Produce enough to drive the market down and the scalpers disapear.

I had a similar problem with a scalper here that bought all the new Star Wars stuff. Once he realized that he couldn't make money off them, he stopped buying them.

Same would happen with exclusive minifigs. To me, the exclusivity is not about the amount produced but what event a figure is attached to.

I wouldn't care it a SDCC exclusive was 1 of 500 or 1 of 25,000 as long as I got one.
Neal_Caffrey

Postby Margot » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:18 pm

^I agree.
Margot

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Neal_Caffrey wrote:You can't keep them out of the hands of the resellers, however, you can make it where there is no money in it for them, such as producing 20,000 for the event and then offering them on ShopLego.com for a price or as a buy-with-purchase promotion.

That's not how exclusives work. And con is all about exclusives. There really are rules to that sort of thing. How many you can make, how you make them available and such
crazybirdman

Postby wyldjedi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:28 pm

No company will outright admit to wrongdoing unless they are 'proven' that they did. Speculation and hearsay can and will easily be downplayed. The problem I have with Lego is not this one particular instance. It is because they are turning into an action figure company that also happens to sell bricks in their sets. The SDCC is about comic books and super heroes so it does make sense to make the giveaway along those lines. But the problem is that comic books in general are not for kids; or at least very young readers. Most Marvel and DC titles are only appropriate for ages of at least 7 or 8. Super heroes have grown beyond comic books but still, the source material is not necessarily age appropriate for Lego's target audience. Meshing comic books and Lego on the surface seems like a great idea, but there is blood, death, party, violence and many other adult situations not geared for kids. The figures they are giving away didn't become popular by going on parades or gardening in comics. Comic books, especially since the late 80's to present have become much more mature. My point is that the kids that read comics and still interested in Lego are old enough, and smart enough to know that these figures equal big money. These kids do not care about 'play value' but real value instead. There is a major problem when a ten year old at the SDCC is excited to get the alternate suit Superman because it is worth over $300 and not because it is cool and would be fun to play with. That right there goes against what Lego is claiming this to be all about: Kids playing with their stuff.

Lego is turning their target audience from people who play with their toys into people who collect their toys. There is a difference. Just look at any Lego set from the 80's through early 00's (even early Star Wars sets) and none were 'showcasing' minifigures. Now, they are proudly displayed on their own in the corner of the box so you can easily see what figures are included. Some themes even say 'NEW!' next to the figures. Lego used to be about what you can build and how the figures enhance the play of the existing set. If Lego was more interested about getting their toys into kids hands, the exclusive minifigure would have been much simpler, and much less popular/marketable like in the picture Gomek showed and more would have been produced. I think there was far more than 200 kids at the SDCC so if they truly wanted kids to have them, more would have been made. If Lego really wanted kids to have free toys they would not have tried to use a gimmick like super rare and popular/marketable minifigures and instead had a small premade set without any figures like a brick build wolverine or something like they give away at the Lego store builds. Lego is pushing the minifigure gimmick way too much. From the basic sets showcasing new minifigures, to all the harder to get ones included in books and dvd's, expensive sets with super exclusive figures (Super Star Destroyer/Death Star) to these ultra rare giveaways. It will not happen anytime soon, but I guarantee there will be fallout... Look at Hotwheels, beanie babies, the comic book industry in the 90's with all the bagged special editions, to all the variations of Star Wars action figures in the toy isle. Lego is the new big thing with collectors, but I have seen 3 decades of toy collecting and know for a fact that Lego cannot keep doing this and hope to keep up this kind of steam. Sour grapes or not, there will be many more people that will get annoyed with these tactics than those few who do not mind (and likely profited from it). These are not your daddies Lego's and trying to turn kids and adults into 'collectors' is not going to last in the long term. It never does when you try to create a forced market.
wyldjedi

Postby that guy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:48 pm

@wyldjedi - I agree and have read your comments on other forums and while I think there may be a bubble looming, it's really only for the 70-80% of people who have recently jumped on the Lego "selling" bandwagon. They don't understand the complexity of the market or how to sustain a selling model outside of Star Wars or other hot licenses. It's like any other collectible market (if it ends up that way) in that there will always be interest and with that will come sellers but only the cream will remain. People who have either done it for ages and understand the market, or those who jump in but do it 100%. The fly by night guys will fall off when they have to exert just a little effort and then the market will settle down again.

The only other thing I can say is that I knew the bubble was coming when random @#$%* starting putting everything in plexi and having it "appraised". It's such a different animal from action figures because for all you know you just paid $6,000 for a Top Ramen filled Falcon box. But clearly someone is paying for it, just not me or anyone I know.
that guy

Postby Cradok » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:51 pm

crazybirdman wrote:That's not how exclusives work. And con is all about exclusives. There really are rules to that sort of thing. How many you can make, how you make them available and such

Exclusives work however the company producing them wants them to work. Some companies make enough for everyone and give them away at the door. Some allow you to pre-order and pick them up on the day. Some sell excess stock online. Some even release them at mass retail. The only question is weather Lego or DC/Disney decided on what was going to be done, and I'd put my money on that being all down to Lego.
Cradok

Postby banthafodder » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:54 pm

I think Lego answered their own question. If they want to get as many figures into the hands of fans as they can then increase the number of minifigures. there really is no reason to limit them so much. The past year is the first time we have seen such extensive limits. Even in past years with a limit of 1000 minifigs still makes them exclusive and has not been too difficult getting them on the secondary market if need be.
Solution: Go back to the old practice of increased quantity at the events.
banthafodder

Postby Genoch » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm a new AFOL, coming from years of play with Magic. I stopped and sold all my collection to buy Legos, thinking that it was not collectible as my previous passion, but when I discovered what Lego has become, i've been very disappointed. I'm italian and it's impossible for me thinking to go to SDCC. When I saw those new heroes I thought: "wow, I love Super heroes (yes, i'm really nerd...) and I would like to "play" with them, build a moc and minicreation". but how can I obtain those new heroes? Only paying lot of money. So, I felt discriminated, because if you are rich you can play with them. If you are not... well... you s**k. Everything is becoming "only-for-professionals" or collectibles, even the toys. I'm very sad, because at the end, it's not different from my previous hobby. Reading all this dispute, in these days, on this site, has been very dreary. From one outlook, because there are many people discontented and angry, and from the other side because Lego is acting without caring to their clients, without thinking that they are discontenting their most attached fans. They could think so many different ways to attract public: selling at a simbolic price, preview minifigs with a special SDCC wrapping (as those, in fact, for the minifig), for example. I'm sure that they would sold every pack. Well, at the end, I don't really care about having or not Green Lantern, Bizarro or Green arrow, but I feel discriminated and betrayed from Lego. Sorry for my english, I hope that the meaning is clear.
Genoch

Postby dWhisper » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:18 pm

As a former Magic player myself, your story totally makes sense. Mythics ruined that game for me, and I enjoyed exiting it (though I spent the funds from mine on camera stuff)
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby jal4u2c » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:35 pm

A few have hit the nail on the head. Exclusives over time will kill a line...ANY line. Its happened with comics, cards, Playmates Toys Star Trek line. Hot Wheels treasure hunts have run that hobby into the ground. Limited this, chase that, exclusive this. What it does is create an artificial demand for items simply to turn a profit on ebay. I have been collecting Star Wars, Star Trek, Hot Wheels, Gentle Giant, Marvel,and DC for 30 years, and now LEGO. The whole point of the con isn't even about comics or comic art anymore. It's a giant "come buy our stuff and flip it on Ebay" sale. But the companies CAN reduce the amount of flipping while still keepings fans happy. 1. Don't make an exclusive out of something that a huge chunk of the fanbase wants. Example...the above post about Green Lantern. A lot of people want this figure in their collection. If you can't even make the Justice League team in a series called Super Heroes, then why bother with any of it? 2. Make enough to go around. If the item is available to a broader range then scalpers make less money on it and thus don't hoard them up. Next, and this really gets under my skin, people say "well i should be able to sell the items i get to pay for my trip and expenses." BULL-****! The whole point of going to SDCC should be to experience the comics, the artists,...if you go to a music concert, do you buy all their albums and try to flip them saying it was to pay for your tickets? Going to a Hot Wheels convention? Selling off sets of cars from the show at outrageous prices to cover YOUR costs for going is not cool! If it's that much of a financial burden then perhaps you shouldn't be going in the first place? And for the record, a lot of these companies will lie to your face when confronted with these kind of issues. Gentle Giant has done it for years. The only time anything got done about it was when enough people complained to Lucasfilm. And even then the steps taken were very minimal. So if you're expecting LEGO to come out and say "oh yes we did that this way", you are fooling yourself. I was told on another Lego collecting site that i was being a sore loser because i couldn't get these figures and i had said that if Lego continues to make figures that everyone wants in the line super rare exclusives that go for stupid amounts of money then i would quit collecting the Superhero line of sets. I am not sore. I mean what i say. If it happens again next year, i am done. I know everyone collects LEGO like its stock. But the reality is, they are pieces of plastic. Lets see you take your Taj Mahal mint set and to the store and say, i want to trade this for that big screen tv. Not gonna happen. Granted, some people out there will give you the cash for it. A fool and his money are soon parted. I,however, will never EVER pay that kind of money for a set or a minifig. Anyways, i've said my two cents worth.
jal4u2c

Postby got2bereal » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:36 pm

C'mon Lego has been using these ways to drum up interest both positively and negatively for years. It's only the economy has improved that has upped the sold prices of many lego items.

Take Mr.Gold minifigure chase. It is Lego's intention of making people buy or go to their stores to feel and chase after that gold figure for resale or keep.

They've used these ultra rare schemes to keep their brand relevant. If they sold everything through the store and nothing unique, then why would anyone even bother to visit their booth or buy their toys other than Xmas time.
got2bereal

Postby that guy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:03 pm

I'd like to take a minute to thank Ace, Onions, and whomever else is in charge of this site for having the balls to actually start this particular forum in the first place. As a casual user of this website and countless other similar sites I have always formed this idea that once a site like this become an affiliate and teams up with Lego all objectivity goes out the window. This article and the pointed criticisms that have come from it restore my faith that people can run a successful fan site and still cater to the users and their best interests regardless of the repercussions.
that guy

Postby anakinisvader » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:11 pm

that guy wrote:@wyldjedi - I agree and have read your comments on other forums and while I think there may be a bubble looming, it's really only for the 70-80% of people who have recently jumped on the Lego "selling" bandwagon. They don't understand the complexity of the market or how to sustain a selling model outside of Star Wars or other hot licenses. It's like any other collectible market (if it ends up that way) in that there will always be interest and with that will come sellers but only the cream will remain. People who have either done it for ages and understand the market, or those who jump in but do it 100%. The fly by night guys will fall off when they have to exert just a little effort and then the market will settle down again.

The only other thing I can say is that I knew the bubble was coming when random @#$%* starting putting everything in plexi and having it "appraised". It's such a different animal from action figures because for all you know you just paid $6,000 for a Top Ramen filled Falcon box. But clearly someone is paying for it, just not me or anyone I know.

I have been on some "LEGO investing" sites and tried to explain this point to everyone but all I get is berated and talked down to like I have no clue. Oh well, it will be nice to buy them out for pennies on the dollar when the go bye bye.
anakinisvader

Postby that guy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:16 pm

anakinisvader wrote:
that guy wrote:@wyldjedi - I agree and have read your comments on other forums and while I think there may be a bubble looming, it's really only for the 70-80% of people who have recently jumped on the Lego "selling" bandwagon. They don't understand the complexity of the market or how to sustain a selling model outside of Star Wars or other hot licenses. It's like any other collectible market (if it ends up that way) in that there will always be interest and with that will come sellers but only the cream will remain. People who have either done it for ages and understand the market, or those who jump in but do it 100%. The fly by night guys will fall off when they have to exert just a little effort and then the market will settle down again.

I have been on some "LEGO investing" sites and tried to explain this point to everyone but all I get is berated and talked down to like I have no clue. Oh well, it will be nice to buy them out for pennies on the dollar when the go bye bye.

Yes I know what you're talking about and where you're talking about it happening. Like you I'm tired of the "I'm an investor, not a reseller B.S. that's going on". And that's the slippery slope that Lego is riding right now. At least the people at ComicCon who came out and said they were selling the figs were being honest instead of the countless parents who "had no idea they were in line for something valuable". Several years ago, when resellers were just called resellers it was so much better. AFOLs bought what they wanted and everyone felt respectable. Now everyone wants a piece of this all the way down to the out of work bridge trolls and then finds an acceptable euphemism so that they can have their day jobs an still thinks they're part of some new-fangled revolution that makes them cool so long as they pack their closets with their kids college money. If we close our eyes long enough, they'll be gone before we know it and they'll move on to the next fad and leave us alone.
that guy

Postby starstreak » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:51 pm

I've never been to ComiCon. Living in Hawaii stops that from happening. But every booth out there has something they make only for this event. I do not know how they can make it better. Was Lego giving the minifigs away or did you have to buy them? If it was free, maybe they have to put a charge on it. If they know it's going to ebay @ over $400, they should figure out the average ebay price and sell them for $200 each. And before you say "WHAAAAT?" Lego can make a limited run 2 months later for buying online at $10 each. But without the ComiCon wrapping. Now collectors can still have a limited run, and consumers can still buy them. I'm sure that is MORE than other booths will do with their limited ComiCon only items.
starstreak

Postby Genoch » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:14 am

got2bereal wrote:C'mon Lego has been using these ways to drum up interest both positively and negatively for years. It's only the economy has improved that has upped the sold prices of many lego items.

Take Mr.Gold minifigure chase. It is Lego's intention of making people buy or go to their stores to feel and chase after that gold figure for resale or keep.

They've used these ultra rare schemes to keep their brand relevant. If they sold everything through the store and nothing unique, then why would anyone even bother to visit their booth or buy their toys other than Xmas time.

Yes, but for Mr. Gold the point is very different. Simply because everyone could obtain one of them, if lucky, not only spending money. Buying a UCS Falcon, now it's just for maniacal and rich collectors, but in 2007 everyone had this possibility. The fact is that for these events Lego is making limited numbers of figures, limited for those events, and never sold before. It's absurd! try to imagine if they never produced, for Star wars theme, figures like Boba Feet or Yoda, but they start to give away them freely during one convention, just one. Forget 1000$ of Azog, probably they would touch 10.000$... However I think that it's a social experiment. I cannot imagine that in Billund someone thought this self-defeating marketing operation. As we say in Italy, this time they pissed upwind. :facepalm:
Genoch

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:21 am

that guy wrote:for all you know you just paid $6,000 for a Top Ramen filled Falcon box.

The weird thing is, this is perfectly ok as long as that box stays with "collectors". If I've paid $6,000 for a sealed box of noodles and sell it on a year later for $7,000, that's great. The system only breaks down when somebody buys that box with the intent of opening it to build the set...

Personally, I think every MISB collection is a waste of perfectly good LEGO bricks.
Gingerbeard Man

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes