Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SDCC] Marvel and DC Minifigure Giveaways: How LEGO Gamed th

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: [SDCC] Marvel and DC Minifigure Giveaways: How LEGO Game

Postby gomek » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:42 am

polywen wrote:There are some practical factors that go into why these exclusives are made in such limited numbers. It is awfully glib for us to presume that someone else should make 10,000 of something to give away for free.

Also to be fair to stebenli, they did produce more than 4,000 figures last year.
gomek

Re: How LEGO Gamed the System Part 3

Postby Trooper10 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:46 am

Very interesting email in part 3. There is an old saying "If it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, then it is probably a duck."
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:52 am

I prefer the programmer joke version... "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and needs batteries... you probably have the wrong abstraction"
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Trooper10 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:24 am

lol
Trooper10

Postby RfAurora » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:02 am

dWhisper wrote:So, like I asked earlier... based on any of the stuff implied here, or the entire exclusive thing in general, are you going to change your buying habits of LEGO products?

I've found that lately I'm not too much a fan of limited edition of anything. I think the last set I'll buy this year is Jekk 14's starfighter, then focus on other stuff. I've always wanted to attend a comic con to visit the LEGO booth and meet some of the employee's, but reading the e-mails kind of spoils the experience for me. I've had the unfortunate luck to be in rigged drawings/competitions before, and it's something I don't like seeing anywhere.
RfAurora

Postby madelman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:25 am

after re readind this very interesting thread for me as a super hero collector, that worries me a bit is that the title of the thread makes certain that lego rigged the raffle system and this has yet to be proven. I honestly do not believe that.

Also, reality is that Lego knows Comic Con is an mainly adult event. And reality is that is Lego wants to do a popular event during comic con and they have succeed. Every year there is more and more people at the Lego line.

If this benefits Lego or not? I feel yes as Lego is talked about and at the end of the day they sre offering a GIFT to some people. It is not Lego fault people pay 200$, 400$ or 1000$ for a minifig. It is collectors who create that. Let's face, we all know that. It is our wish of having a rare fig what makes it so expensive. If a kid really wants a fig, there are several amazing customers as Christo who make amazing and beautiful minifigs.

I also feel that not all the AFOLS are minifig collectors. I would say the great majority enjoys lego creativity like a lot of pleople enjoy doing puzzle. So I don't feel Lego gets it image damaged.

And if we have to make criticism about the giveawyas, I feel we have to make some criticism about Lego exclusives at the Comic Con. They are rare and limited. Only 1000. And if you can not be at the Con or even being able to go, you can not be there at 9:30, then you are out of the game.

Just some thoughts to continue this nice discussion.
madelman

Postby Gooker1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:31 am

I just read Joy's email, and it's definitely some shady stuff going on w/ that raffle. Someone mentioned that it could just be some one off employee determining this, but it's still a problem if that's the case.

Just go back to last year's system of badge scans, names on a board/website, and I think that will help out a lot. Even if they kept the same numbers of around 200-400 of a minifig, that's still a ton better than 3,500 -4k figs like they did last year. Actually, that's more than a ton better. :)

Eliminate the possibility of collusion and this topic would have never existed.

I hope that this doesn't deter Lego from doing exclusives like this in the future, but at least change it up. Even if it's strictly for kids like the Azog, at least I and a bunch of con-goers would know not to waste their time in line for something that's not for adults.
Gooker1

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:53 am

madelman wrote: And reality is that is Lego wants to do a popular event during comic con and they have succeed. Every year there is more and more people at the Lego line.

I'm just not clear on how that is a reasonable measure of "success". I would think the number of people that visit and spend time in the booth would be a better measure of LEGO's ComicCon "success" than how many people they can get to stand in a massive line (which, as I understand it, wasn't even near the booth after the first day) in (mostly vain) hopes of getting a fig.
Mister Ed

Postby crazybirdman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:55 pm

if they wanted to give them to kids, why make super awesome exclusive figures? The monthly builds at the stores are for kids only, and people are cool with it. Kids don't care how rare a figure is. I love my kids, but If they got a figure that I could sell for for over $1000?
crazybirdman

Postby stevenli » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:32 pm

LEGO has the capacity to make single runs of 1000s of minifigures. It's whether it WANTS to or not. If the goal is to maintain prices in a reasonable range and still make it Limited Edition, why limit it to 100 or 200 or 500 pieces? History shows that it's going to go for higher. People calculate the amount of BOXES of minifigs to buy to possibly get a golden minifig.....the same ones bidding $1000 for a SDCC azog.

So, again, what reasonable parent/child wouldn't sell?

The only way to even reasonably decrease the overall value is to increase the qty. you think giving away 10,000 minifigs is a high production cost or time cost? They probably spend x10 that on the setup alone at SDCC.
stevenli

Postby gomek » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:41 pm

I have to say, I have still been having some issues with the concept that these figures are 'Not for me'. I've been collecting Lego and Comics non stop since I was 5. But somehow figures that have nothing to do with a specific event, and everything to do with the hobbies I have loved years are not for me. This graphic should clear up a couple things.

gomek

Postby gomek » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:52 pm

madelman wrote:And reality is that is Lego wants to do a popular event during comic con and they have succeed. Every year there is more and more people at the Lego line.

Um, I'm pretty sure if I was giving away $400 Ebay gift cards I too could have a "successful" convention booth.

JD4M wrote:http://lego-minifigures.tumblr.com/post/56981044790/lego-x-sdcc-some-rumors-about-legos-minifigure

This should be pretty clear by now, but I certainly don't subscribe to the idea that just because a company has the right to do something, means that I don't have the right to complain about it. And trust me, Lego has heard plenty from me.

Personally I feel if everyone had the "Get over it" attitude, we'd all be drinking New Coke right now.
gomek

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:16 pm

Even though I like that particular meme, I always feel like giving my own slap to people who take that stance. It's basically just a version of the Appeal to Worse Problems fallacy, or the idea if "there is something worse in the world" whatever your gripe is has no value.

But in truth, this is a reflection of the smaller world we're part of. We're AFOLs, we're collectors, and even if those weren't true, we have the right to get upset about whatever we'd like.
dWhisper

Postby Cradok » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:07 am

There's enough greed, sarlacc pit and outright misery in life - and on the internet - that I don't see why we shouldn't get upset if it spills over into our toy collecting hobby.
Cradok

Postby RfAurora » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 am

You sure have attracted attention on this issue. It's on Brickset now. http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=7210
RfAurora

Postby dWhisper » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:02 pm

In reply to the LEGO response...

I'd like to take this at face value and go with the benefit of the doubt, it simply smacks too much of political double-speak and hand-waving. This is how every PR response looks when there is speculation, but not proof, of wrong doing.

I wouldn't expect a company to really answer any other way, but I still feel disappointed that they couldn't exceed our expectations and address the feedback, instead of just calling it "misinformation" and reassuring us. There are some legitimate questions there... why were people in the line being directed to one person over another? Why did entire groups win (more than once)?

Maybe there wasn't anything to this, but the LEGO response really doesn't do away with anything that's been brought up.
dWhisper

Postby Margot » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:12 pm

"We are equally disappointed that there is an audience who receive limited edition figures and then sell them at a premium online; this is not in our interest, nor is it the intention of our activity at SDCC."

It would be really nice if this didn't happen, but how do you keep the limited editions out of the resellers hands?
Margot

Postby Cradok » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:22 pm

By not giving out only 200 of something. It's supply and demand, and Lego control the supply. If Lego don't want this to happen, they need to make it not worth people's time to sell them on eBay, and they do that by increasing the supply. Simple as that. Take a look at the last two May 4th figures, or the shirtless Maul. Exclusive and only available for a limited time, but relatively freely available during that time, and still commanding sub-$20 prices on eBay.
Cradok

Postby Mos_Eisley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:26 pm

I am not surprised by the response. What else would they say? The guys running the booth had no problem telling you that the winning numbers were already known before the tickets were distributed, it wasn't a secret. I have no doubt that they made an effort to control the distribution of the winners. Not to only give them to kids, plenty of adults were winning, but to attempt to keep groups from getting multiples. I was told to get my ticket from a different person than I was standing in front of. Why would it matter if it was really random? I took video of the distribution and redemption on Saturday. There is a part where you can definitely see one of the guys handling the tickets strangely. Now is it possible that he was just handling the tickets oddly and it didn't mean anything? Possibly. The bottom line is that they will never admit to any wrong doing on the matter. Maybe the corporate level is unaware of it as it could have just been something that was decided by the crew at SDCC. At the very least that crew knows what they did and now they know we're paying attention. Hopefully it will prevent this from being a problem again in the future.
Mos_Eisley

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes