Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SDCC] Marvel and DC Minifigure Giveaways: How LEGO Gamed th

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: [SDCC] Marvel and DC Minifigure Giveaways: How LEGO Game

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:10 am

Brick_Obession wrote:Articles like these are written by sore losers! You have the accounts of a sore losers who percieves in their eyes what happened. Grow the eff up! The only thing Lego did wrong was make the quantities so little.

And posts like this are by people who missed the point entirely. Where did you see that it was Ace complaining about the fact that he didn't get the figures? Because that wasn't what even a casual glance should tell you about this post.

It was about how the system itself was broken, and the choices, both in how things were handed out, how winning tickets were distributed, and how poorly LEGO understands comic con as well as not having enough of the product to give away. Did it focus on the frustrations of an adult that was caught up in the situation? Absolutely, because it was an adult event focused on adult collectors.

I just laugh at the notion only kids got them. Those kids must all be sell outs. Just look how many are floating around on Ebay.

So, did you just tl;dr or are you purposefully missing the entire part in the post, and in follow-up comments, about how it was Lego targeting kids, and how more than a few parents had taken it from their kids once it became clear how much they were selling for? Or how with the Azog promo, LEGO was specifically targeting kids?

I want an Audi R8, do you see me writing blogs or on forums complaining that they are only cater to the rich!

Ah, my old friend the False Analogy fallacy. Because obviously wanting something expensive is exactly the same as wanting something that was a promo item that everyone was supposed to have a chance to get.

If Audi started to set up a program where R8s were given away to random people at their dealerships, and then when the entire city showed up, they only gave them away to specifically pre-chosen people, this would be the same. And I bet that there would be a whole lot of blogs and articles of people complaining about it.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby april81972 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:04 am

As a parent who has literally spent thousands on Lego for my three boys, I can tell you that as soon as they grow older, I will seriously contemplate selling the Taj Mahal set. Serious bucks there.
april81972

Postby madelman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 am

I am new at the community. I am a Spanish AFOL or sort of. Got into Lego though my eldest son who collects Star wars. I do Space, Indiana Jones and Superheroes.

I have been at Comic Con the last 4 years. For professional reasons. And I have never been able to get a Lego exclusive because I can not afford to wait 3 or 4 hours instead of enjoying some of the very instrutive panels (some even allow participants to get UC credits so they are serious),

But regarding the giveaways, my experience is different. From my own experience I would say hat the Lego raffle IT IS NOT RIGGED. It is just a real raffle.I won last year a Shazam and a Superman this year. I am 40+ and bald. Quite far from a kid.

I know we might get dissappointed because sometimes we do not get that set or minifig we wish like little kids. Specially being a collector. And then the chance is either we have our collection uncomplete or we pay a lot of money for our beloved brick.

And yes, the lines were very VERY LOOOOONG, but waiting time was no more than 10-12 minutes once the line started to move. Ok, Thursday was a mess. A disaster. I decided not to wait. They solved.

Finally, I also heard a very similar conversation that the one Dan mentions.
A Dad offering 200$ to a seller while dealing with a nother guy... And the buyer saying: I just doubled that".
Crazy? It might be for a piece of plastic. But in my country people have paid above 6000$ to watch a Real Madrid vs Barça match. And this might be crazy too, don't you think so?

Best and I have to say I am enjoying a lot this thread.
madelman

Postby Trooper10 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 am

dWhisper wrote:
jonutah wrote:Can anyone see a reason that these exclusives actually benefit Lego's brand?

A better question would be "can anyone see how this really harms Lego's brand?

I would argue there is some potential (albeit small) harm to the brand from adult collectors if a large amount of new and unique product is only available as exclusives or super rares. With some major characters that are unlikely to ever be widely available I certainly feel discouraged at trying to collect a large range of figures and this means that I buy less of that line overall. There are already several Marvel and DC sets in this category for me. But as we know, TLG don't care too much for us AFOLs so in their spreadsheets it probably doesn't harm the brand. Does give me something to bleat on about next time they do an AFOL/VIP/LUG survey though!
Trooper10

Postby talosman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 am

well, I was certainly disappointed I didn't win. My most wanted is the Green Arrow fig (besides meeting Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny), I love the CW tv show Arrow. And I get all the DC superheroes sets. This is my first time going to SDCC, and also my last time due to time and cost. SDCC is #1 on my bucket list.

I was okay with it, until I read the system was rigged. If that is the case, why did I waste over an hr of my time waiting under the sun on Sunday at 10am? I could have gone to a panel instead.

I am okay if I didn't win the raffle if it is fair. I have a real problem if it is rigged. They should have just stated from the get go it is for kids only. And I wouldn't wasted my time waited in line for false hope. And go to a panel I want to see during that time slot.

Talos
Last edited by talosman on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
talosman

Postby gomek » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:54 am

OK, I obviously have a lot of issues with all of this so let me get started.

I have a problem with people calling others sore losers. Any system that is set up where 99% of the fans are losers is a bad system in the first place.

What is happening here is the equivalent of throwing a hand full of money into a crowded intersection because some marketer feels the impending disaster will help the Lego brand. It’s just awful any way you slice it.

The way Lego has always been run is that all sets are limited in time, but never in quantity. A sets rarity increases through natural attrition as these toys are loved and played with over time. The fact that this is a toy is why I got into this hobby in the first place. Hopefully this will get bad enough that Lego stops this practice all together.
gomek

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:42 am

gomek wrote:The way Lego has always been run is that all sets are limited in time, but never in quantity.

Not exactly true. The Chrome 3PO was a limited quantity tied to sets, and there have been some others that were limited as well. The first Hoth Echo Base (until outrage got a second run) was a limited run set that was only around for a few months. The Cuusoo sets before Minecraft were all limited-runs as well, as are the Collectible Minifigures. To a lesser extent, the original run of the Falcon was limited (as they were numbered), and the editions that came after it slightly different.

But even in all of these cases, save 3PO, there was time to buy it. People just didn't for whatever reason (like in the Hoth base, people had months to get it at TRU and then screamed foul when they'd waited and it was already gone).

What's different here is that the limited quantity was mixed with a time constraint and an access constraint. And that's just bad for the consumer.
dWhisper

Postby gomek » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:35 am

Yeah, the chrome C3PO is pretty much the first one I remember as well. I've been collecting non stop since I was a little kid, and I'm old now, so in the grand scheme even the chrome C3PO doesn't feel like that long ago. I didn't like that then, but at least there were enough of them made that if you didn't get one, it wasn't too bad on the secondary market.
gomek

Postby jonutah » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Gomec is correct. There seems very little benefit to Lego to do these types of exclusives. My guess is that someone at TLG will either realize there is no great benefit, or something will happen (like a physical fight between a reseller and a collector) to wake them up. There's too much potential for issues in terms of people gaming the system, running around trying to buy figures off of other folks on the show floor, getting in line multiple times, getting hurt, yelling at TLG employees, making accusations of things being fixed, and so on.
jonutah

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:54 pm

So, like I asked earlier... based on any of the stuff implied here, or the entire exclusive thing in general, are you going to change your buying habits of LEGO products?
dWhisper

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:19 pm

For my part? Not really. Unless you count not buying the sets with some of these exclusive figs that they aren't giving us. I mean, GL being a con exclusive didn't stop me from buying the awesome Superman vs. Lex set, but had they put it in a set instead of giving it away to a very small number of people, I would have bought THAT set in a heartbeat.

So no, con exclusives don't change my buying habits, in EITHER direction, and I expect that's true for the VAST majority of consumers. But some of those exclusives, if put into sets instead, would have been bought by people that otherwise aren't bothering with the multiple Batman sets they keep putting out.

Now, it is possible, if I were collecting the Hobbit sets because I loved the movies and wanted to be able to reenact them in LEGO, that making Azog an exclusive (if he actually STAYED totally exclusive to this con, which doesn't look to be the case) might make me drop the line in disgust.

But for my part, I'm annoyed by how big a role the character has been given in the film in the first place, so not being able to get him (even though he's a pretty major character in the films) wouldn't be an issue for me. ;)
Mister Ed

Postby gomek » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Well, I was a completist, and now I’m not. For a collector such as myself that’s a pretty big distinction and will certainly affect my buying habits.

I’ve been collecting stuff since I was 5 so I’ve seen it all. But in general collectors, and specifically the hardcore ones, like to get all of a certain thing, a run of comics, a line of toys, etc. When they are unable to complete their collection many abandon the hobby instead of keeping a collection with a glaring hole. I’ve worked in comic shops and I’ve seen plenty of collector burn out.

On a corporate level it has to be pretty hard to quantify though. As much as I believe that these things are not good for Lego, I do understand that they will never have enough of an immediate impact to register on their bottom line.

Personally I feel that the only way this type of thing will stop if enough people complain to Lego about it.
gomek

Postby wyldjedi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:37 pm

dWhisper wrote:So, like I asked earlier... based on any of the stuff implied here, or the entire exclusive thing in general, are you going to change your buying habits of LEGO products?

I used to fall into the habit of buying rare/exclusive stuff when I was into comic books and I almost fell into it with Lego. I would still buy normal sets I was only slightly interested in if the figures perked my interest even just a little. I mean who doesn't want more Jedi? But honestly, with Lego falling into this kind of behavior more and more lately I now only buy sets I really want, and only in rare cases are minifigures a factor in if I buy it. This is also coming from an army builder with well over 6,000 minifigures in my personal collection from the 1970's classic castle/space to present. I have said it again and again: outside of a few scattered and specialized sets or themes, Lego is becoming a company that sells bricks with their action figure sets. Minifigures are their bread and butter so they spread it on as thick and evenly as possible.

So to answer your question, Lego trying to make themselves a 'collectors toy' has caused me to cut back from 4 or 5 themes to 1 (generally space) and some castle and Star Wars. Since the CMF series started, my disposable income has increased by maybe 35% and yet my direct set purchases have decreased by well over half. I buy more from PaB cups or by the case depending on which is a better deal, and various other parts on BrickLink.

I no longer try so hard or spend so much to get those limited figures. As a result I do not have that huge residual buying impulse when I end up not getting them. I am not someone that can be 'toyed' with.
wyldjedi

Postby stawas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Howdy. I'm a mom of 3 who came back to LEGO when my oldest son was born in 2000 - the LEGO Star Wars that started it all ... I'm a straight shooter at fbtb from way back when. I had become a completist de facto when I realized we had acquired all of the early Star Wars except a few sets and so I hunted them down. LEGO Star Wars was initially a 7 year license agreement and I was this close to having every single set in those 7 years - just in time for my kiddos to become addicted to LEGO like I was. Then we had to make a decision whether or not they should even open the MISB sets from 1999-2005. Then of course the license was extended and fleshies were introduced and sets were re-released and then came the Clone Wars and ad infinitum ... It has been fun for the kids to get into LEGO and LEGO Star Wars with me but I am no longer a completist and I do feel like the Exclusives and Limited Editions have made us all lesser LEGO enthusiasts.
We turned our attention to the Collectable Minifigures because "collecting them all" is fun but it isn't when I can't reasonably get one complete set for each series let alone one for each of my kids. We are displaying some but mostly they are played with - so having multiples are part of the fun. It's no big deal when their baby sister runs off with a minifigure or part. But Mr Gold changed all that too. Nail in the coffin.
This long intro prefaces my SDCC rigged giveaway comment. It does sound like the system was rigged. LEGO probably had a good intent in trying to get the exclusives into the hands of kids but then don't make them exclusive so that ANY kid could get their hands on them. SDCC has changed SO much from what it was. It is one slicked out affair and I wanted to go this year with the family but couldn't. I have an Internet connection and a credit card and funds and still couldn't make it happen. Anyone who brings kids to this event has to be a die hard fan(boy) family. The lines, the crowds, the craziness. What kid is going to wait hours in line in a crowded comic con for the CHANCE of winning a LEGO minifigure? If they are targeting kids then why aren't those kids ripping into the packaging and playing with the minifigure immediately like I've seen almost every other kid do at my local LEGO store. Only those kids with adults who brought them to comic con and who are 99.99% of the time going to sell it if someone offers the any kind of money for it. Let alone $1000+!
Still love LEGO and happy that they've come so far since 2000. We've supported them through Star Wars and Vikings and Ninjago and Friends and Minecraft and The Lord of the RIngs/Hobbit. But enough with the exclusives and limited availabilty. I'm not hoping for an Azog just an Iron Patriot that's not a Walmart exclusive for a game system that I don't own! Only thing I felt I missed out on at SDCC was getting a MBA Invention Designer poster - not signed, just love the poster. (OK miss the poster and seeing Neil Gaiman)
stawas

Postby foswl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:42 pm

This is my first post, as I've been watching this site for years but have never had a reason to comment until now. I've always been impressed at how accurate and reliable the site has been for all things SW Lego. This whole series of articles really irks me though. The reason I so frequently check this site is for the latest news about Lego products, not to hear people going on about how unfair an exclusive giveaway was. Not being able to attend the San Diego Comic Con because of a lack of funds and any semblance of vacation time, this site is a great way to hear about the Lego part of the event. I can't believe that anybody who had the opportunity to not only attend SDCC, but to also get a hold of raffle tickets, would create an entire series of articles about how they think that the raffle system was rigged. Just because the raffle wasn't well thought out doesn't mean it was inherently unfair. All "magic bag" theories aside, what we are talking about is an exclusive giveaway, at a fairly exclusive event. To be honest, I hope TLG stops producing limited edition anything because it brings out the absolute worst in people. I don't mean to be an apologist for Lego, if they rigged the raffle it was certainly poor form, but does it really require a 3 part series of articles? Let's get back to actual Lego news, like the fact that the new Star Wars sets, fan-designed technic 4x4, DeLorean, and brand new City sets have all been available for nearly a week at the Orlando Lego store and possibly others.
foswl

Postby onions » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:14 am

hi foswl, and welcome to the forums.

i appreciate your comments and criticisms. i can honestly tell you that i wrestled with the idea of publishing these articles. I began with only one article with a series of excerpts but the article became so long, i felt it was best to break it up over a series of 4 or 5 articles. Dont worry it's not all stories of conspiracy theories. there is one more email i'll be posting tomorrow, and followed up with my own reactions. it may be off the beaten path of what we normally report on the site, but I felt that it was important information for the rest of the fan community to know what is going on. like i said before, i have no hard evidence, but based on my own observations and experiences coupled with conversations from both winners and losers, i do believe that the giveaways were rigged. this speaks of a larger problem of how the company treats their fans/customers. you may not have been directly affected by the events if you weren't there and if you're not planning on buying the figures on the aftermarket, so i can see why you're interest in the topic is low. i just ask for a little patience to get through it and look for the usual topical posts sprinkled in between.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Cradok » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:22 am

I don't have a horse in this race, I don't collect Superhero stuff - although if they put out a Cyclops minifig I'd be all over that - and I managed to get the Star Wars set this year for not much more than I had hoped for, so I'm happy in that regard.

But in general, this whole thing stinks. The raffles, the near-riot, the horribly low numbers of things, the apparent rigging of the whole lot of it. And beyond that, Lego have really gone overboard on these things recently, this year in particular, and it's really getting tiring. And with things like the NY Yoda, the press kit and the Clone Trooper Lt which I cannot justify buying at current prices, and with other things like the two May 4th store sets which are not directly available in my country forcing me to eBay or asking favours of friends to get, collecting Star Wars Lego is losing its appeal. It's not logical - and probably not terribly healthy - but as a completionist, not being able to have a complete collection could make me stop collecting.

There are other ways of doing these things, better ways. And Lego use some of these better ways, all the time. The May 4th minifigs, S@H offers, the newspaper offers in the UK and Ireland. Add to that companies like Hasbro who make their con exclusives much more readily available to those outside the cons, and even change things so that that's getting more the case, and Lego come off very badly with these kinds of things.
Cradok

Postby stevenli » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:25 am

This still can be an individual employee taking their own initiative. It's not the first time an employee would screen/limit a gift/ticket.

Regardless, Lego should rethink the extreme limit qty idea at CC. The physical chaos that it produces from the AFOL base is insane. You can't target regular kids with limited issue figs of <500. They ALL eventually end up on eBay by reasonable parents selling to rabid AFOLs willing to subsidize a kid's Lego addiction for the year.

Set the giveaways at 10000 pieces, scan badges for 1/badge limit. That's still <10% of the attendees and wide enough to decrease the overall value to a reasonable price where parents may not sell to an insatiable AFOL crowd.

Lego needs to find the balance between the desire to have a LE SDCC figure, desire to serve both kids and AFOL, and its responsibility to SDCC to keep it real and not a Bruce Springsteen concert line back in the '80s
stevenli

Postby polywen » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:27 am

There are some practical factors that go into why these exclusives are made in such limited numbers. It is awfully glib for us to presume that someone else should make 10,000 of something to give away for free. Any manufacturer only has so much production capacity. If a factory running full time can produce 100,000 widgets a month, it can not suddenly produce 10,000 more in a month because we wish it to. They would have to build a new factory to handle the extra capacity. Or make 10,000 less of the regular widget to make 10,000 exclusive widgets.

LEGO production is very tightly scheduled way in advance. They have to run at near full capacity in order to create enough product for Christmas, when they sell 80% or so of their product during the whole year. They currently produce so few figs because that is all the time they allow in manufacturing. It would be ridiculous for us to expect them to sink millions of dollars in building out infrastructure, hiring employees, etc. just to make free things for Comic-con.
polywen

Postby gomek » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:25 am

Cradok wrote: And with things like the NY Yoda, the press kit and the Clone Trooper Lt which I cannot justify buying at current prices, and with other things like the two May 4th store sets which are not directly available in my country forcing me to eBay or asking favours of friends to get, collecting Star Wars Lego is losing its appeal.

You should have made friends with this guy, he clearly has enough to share.

gomek

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes