Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SDCC] Marvel and DC Minifigure Giveaways: How LEGO Gamed th

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: [SDCC] Marvel and DC Minifigure Giveaways: How LEGO Game

Postby Artoo-Detour » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:24 am

Although I post very rarely in the forums, I've been a faithful FBTB reader since its beginning. I really appreciate all of the great years of news and reviews and I hate being negative in a post, but the past month of overly pessimistic reviews and LEGO at SDCC backlash has been very hard to read through.

I would LOVE to see this site get back to bringing exciting and optimistic coverage of LEGO to the fans rather than being a soap box for complaints from the site-runners. As someone who hasn't had the privilege to attend SDCC (and probably never will), I rely on sites like FBTB to bring me the news and info I can't experience first-hand. It's infuriating to see the whole event get reduced to whining about the exclusives. What about the MANY life size models on display? Or that awesome LEGO Movie logo sculpture? Or even just a tiny bit more of an opinion than "I'm too tired to say more" regarding 2014 set previews? Hardly a hoot was given over these kinds of things (and at times it took searching non-LEGO sites to get info) and somehow the coverage explodes into a 3 part "he said/she said" raffle rigging conspiracy theory?
Disappointing.
I love this site, it's my go-to for LEGO info (specifically Star Wars), but I feel very let down by the pessimism as of late.

As for the exclusive Minifigs, it's a bummer that the vast majority of us can't get our hands on them. But event exclusives are meant for those who attend and we should not feel entitled to something we weren't there for. The entire fanbase has gone especially gaga over Minifigures in the last few years, so as a company, it's only natural that LEGO would give in to that. But is it really constructive to cry fowl and drag LEGO through the mud over this? Even though this giveaway didn't go the way attendees wanted, (in fact it could've gone way better) we should remember that this is just one event and LEGO is really good to its fans; especially us adults. Consider that we make up a small percentage of fans; the kids dwarf our fanbase in numbers. Yet the set designers put a character like Ree-Yees in the Sail Barge set. Ree-Yees! That's pure adult fan service. The child fanbase is not clamoring for Ree-Yees or Poggle the Lesser or even Max Rebo. LEGO puts these obscure characters in the sets for US. There are so many cool Minifigures to be had! XD

I'm sorry to rant, but as a fan of both LEGO and this site, I've been very frustrated over this whole thing.
Artoo-Detour

Postby april81972 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:10 am

^^^^^this^^^^^

Well stated and dead on.
april81972

Postby Sinestro27 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:24 am

Did anyone honestly think that LEGO was going to say, "Yup, we rigged the raffle, what are you going to do about it?"? Of course they're going to deny this, regardless of the truth.

A couple of statements in this notice really get to me. The first one:

"Our goal is to offer a limited edition collectible to as many fans as possible in a fair and equitable manner."

...Really? Than why only make a few hundred of them? It's just downright silly to make a statement like that when they produce so few of them to begin with, it's simply not true. This statement may be even more irresponsible:

"We are equally disappointed that there is an audience who receive limited edition figures and then sell them at a premium online; this is not in our interest..."

Personally, I can't stand the ridiculous prices sellers ask for these items on ebay, it's laughable. It is even more heinous that collectors actually pay those prices, which only justifies the outrageous rates. Here is what gets me though: If LEGO is disappointed by this, why do they enable it by making such desirable figures so hard to obtain. I mean, what do they expect? If an item is extremely rare, than it is valuable. This is a truth that has existed as long as people have been collecting things. It is naive to think this won't happen, so why make these things so rare?

This issue of reselling at a premium online isn't just in regards to comic con minifigs, LEGO enables this action all the time by not making their products widely available. Take the Delorean Time Machine set for example. LEGO did not produce enough of this set to even last 24 hours on Shop@Home! Why not? I was lucky enough to order mine in the morning and secure me a copy, but what is the deal? If I knew this set would be a huge seller, why couldn't LEGO figure that out?? So naturally, this set will appear (or already has) for at least twice the retail price on ebay.

My suggestions to LEGO would be this: 1.) Make enough of these exclusive minifigs so that EVERYONE who attends Comic Con can obtain one. This makes them much less rare, and while they will still appear on ebay at high prices, they won't be ridiculously high like they are now. Most importantly, all the fans waiting in line at the con will be happy. Wouldn't that be nice, LEGO? Or 2.) Either stop making these "super-exclusives" altogether, or make them less desirable. The Black Suited Superman is a good example of what these exclusives should be, imo. He will still be rare, but I don't feel as if I've been denied a major character to my collection of DC minifigs because I already own a Superman. I do not however, own a Green Arrow or Spider-Woman, and I never will.

I just don't see why LEGO enables frustration and reselling from fans, than states that they are "disappointed" by these actions. Why do they do these giveaways in the first place? Is it worth frustrating thousands of fans just to please a couple hundred? I love LEGO's products, but they constantly confound me on a lot of their choices. The Delorean is a set that targets AFOLs as well (My nephew is 21 and has never seen the BTTF films, so I doubt little children are clamoring for this set.), and lo and behold, they only seemed to produce a couple thousand of them, tops. Maybe it's true, maybe LEGO really doesn't care about their adult fans that much. That's too bad, maybe if they did, they would be the no.1 toy company in the world, instead of no. 3...
Sinestro27

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:53 am

I love how people latch on to the "as many fans as possible" and basically ignore the "limited edition" part. It isn't an oxymoron folks. LEGO is making a small amount, whether people like that or not and they want to avoid people scoring more than one. That statement has nothing to do with the opinion that these should be made in larger quantities, just the distribution of the number they've specifically chosen to make.

This is the thought behind the promos, but unfortunately they haven't figured out a truly fair and efficient way of doing it without screwing it up or causing raised eyebrows. If something seems off, it usually is or needs more explanation beyond an attempt at an old Jedi mind trick.
buriedbybricks

Postby gomek » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:24 am

buriedbybricks wrote:I love how people latch on to the "as many fans as possible" and basically ignore the "limited edition" part.

Limited edition and Ultra rare do not mean the same thing. All Lego sets are available for a limited time, making them "Limited Editions". Ultra rare is something else entirely.
gomek

Postby Cradok » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:41 am

Every set that's a S@H exclusive has 'Limited Edition' plastered all over the box too.
Cradok

Postby Genoch » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:27 am

Gingerbeard Man wrote:If I've paid $6,000 for a sealed box of noodles and sell it on a year later for $7,000, that's great.

AAAHH! So was YOU! I bought that box for 7000$ and it was full of f. noodles! Give me back my money! :lol:
Genoch

Postby onions » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:21 am

@Artoo-Detour: the detour part of your name is apt i must say.

i still have my roll of photos to cull through from SDCC. i'm hoping to get through those this weekend. better late than never?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:48 am

gomek wrote:
buriedbybricks wrote:I love how people latch on to the "as many fans as possible" and basically ignore the "limited edition" part.

Limited edition and Ultra rare do not mean the same thing. All Lego sets are available for a limited time, making them "Limited Editions". Ultra rare is something else entirely.

Cradok wrote:Every set that's a S@H exclusive has 'Limited Edition' plastered all over the box too.

Thanks for providing examples of latching on to one part of a statement and ignoring the rest.
Kudos on missing the point entirely.
buriedbybricks

Postby gomek » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:26 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:I love how people latch on to the "as many fans as possible" and basically ignore the "limited edition" part. It isn't an oxymoron folks. LEGO is making a small amount, whether people like that or not and they want to avoid people scoring more than one. That statement has nothing to do with the opinion that these should be made in larger quantities, just the distribution of the number they've specifically chosen to make.

This is the thought behind the promos, but unfortunately they haven't figured out a truly fair and efficient way of doing it without screwing it up or causing raised eyebrows. If something seems off, it usually is or needs more explanation beyond an attempt at an old Jedi mind trick.

Let's try again then. I understand your point. I pretty much agree that the rep was trying to say exactly what you said he was. I was simply pointing out that Lego can do a limited edition while still offering it to everyone. I do not believe these things to be mutually exclusive. Clearly, to your point, this was not Lego's intention, but I think it should have been.

I also understand the thought behind the promos. Lego gets to have a fabulous prize that only costs them pennies to produce. Genius, right! But they will never figure out a way to do it right. As long as they continue to make figures with mass appeal that are ultra rare, there will be underhanded dealings, scalping, counterfeiting, price gouging, crowd control issues and growing discontent and abandonment by collectors.
gomek

Postby got2bereal » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:34 pm

I don't think Lego officials were aware of the extent of the problem until after the event. I believe it is the workers that pocketed money or gave out favors. After all this is all supposed to be just toys not serious business!

Imagine you're that Lego worker getting paid a meager salary to be at the event and someone came to you and offered you $20 to do them a favor. You probably would do it because you figure it's just a toy, it's a harmless little favor. I'm sure the Lego officials will need to send out memos to their managers to warn their event managers to be more stringent.
got2bereal

Postby Andi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:46 am

Actually I don't get all that raffle thing... It's already more than luck needed to even get a ticket to SDCC, so only a very limited amount of people even get the chance to get in the near of these exclusives.
Maybe they could limit the exclusives to give them to real fans - no exhibitors, no press people, but people who actually made the huge effort to get a ticket and paid for it a lot of money.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:46 am

Double post, sorry. Move along, move along.
Last edited by Mofo Jones on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:53 am

I'm starting to think that LEGO needs to forget the exclusives completely. I think people will be mad no matter what they do. People have a bad sense of entitlement when it comes to free LEGO. This isn't SDCC, but relevant: I bought the first LEGO Batman game a few years ago and GameStop was giving away Batman-themed LEGO keychains with preorders. I went in to pick up my copy and the two women behind the counter looked a little weary, because they asked if I had a problem with a free Robin keychain, explaining that was what the store had received and a few people had been angry that they didn't get to choose one. Sad. Frankly, if anybody's giving me free LEGO, I'm just going to accept it, thank them, and be on my way.

I didn't go to SDCC this year (or any year) but I remember when they were selling an exclusive little set at Celebration IV. I think it was Empire-themed (Vader and a couple of other figs) in a small clear display box for $50. Actually I think you had to pull a ticket to have the opportunity to buy it, but the point is that they weren't just giving to random people. Plenty of people bought that little set.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Trooper10 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:21 am

Re: HLGTS Part IV (No Hope)
It isn’t about not getting the exclusives, it’s about having our time wasted and I’m pretty sure THAT is something we can all relate to.

I agree with the time-wasting issue and have no problem with convention or event exclusives that are hard to obtain. However, from my perspective there is still a BIG problem with those exclusives being fairly major characters or vehicles from well known licensed themes that are then not going to be available later (or are very unlikely to be). Azog will turn up in a future set...ok cool! Black suit variant Superman...ok I can get several different Supermans already....no problem - good exclusive for convention goers. Green Lantern won't be in set (ever?)...hmmm a little bit uncool.

I guess this becomes very subjective as to what a 'major' character is, but I think if they have enough recognition to get their own film (regardless of how good or bad that film is) then they probably should be off the exclusive list unless they are just a rare/exclusive variant (which in my mind suits the event exclusive better).

As to the scalpers/ebayers etc - surely this activity is going to be purely related to the rarity of the figure/set - the lower the supply, given the same level of demand means higher the ebay prices (probably exponentially considering wealth/income distribution) . This is actually indirectly in TLGs control since they control production and if they only have space to create a few 100 figures for SDCC (surely the biggest event of its type in the world?) then so be it - I would just ask that they don't make them (fairly) major characters (or vehicles) - imagine if the only A-Wing set or Boba Fett figure (he was only on screen for like 2 minutes max peoples!) ever to be produced were limited to 500 given away at SDCC...or NYCC...or a brand store opening in BFE??
Trooper10

Postby talosman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:11 am

I wrote this before, in short previously. But I want to fill in the gaps a little more.

Since this year was my first time going to San Diego Comic Con ever. And also my last time, on my bucket list to experience SDCC. So my expectation is really high, and I was completely overwhelm even with all the research I did before hand.

I do have to say... people are very nice and helpful while waiting in lines everywhere. And sharing their experience. The spirit of being among geeks I guess.

My top two exclusives are Hasbro's Boba Fett and Lego's Green Arrow mini fig.

Since there are panels I want to attend everyday, I have to pick and choose.

Preview Night, I already know about the exhibitors all hung around the Hasbro booth before the doors open since no tickets are required. Even thou I saw the video of Hasbro booth from last year, I still attempt to try. However, the line at Hasbro already closed by the time I get there. So I went to the Lego booth next, and got the 2 exclusive sets.

Thursday, I picked the X-Files panel in Ballroom 20, so i skipped everything in the exhibition hall. And spend my whole day inside Ballroom 20.

On Friday, I tried to get the ticket for Hasbro,got there at 5:30am, waited in line, by the time I get to the Sails Pavllion, the ticket line closed few minutes right before I get there. SOL, oh well. Too late to wait in line for Hall H. So I walked the floor, and then wait in line at 10:15am for the mini fig. And I heard about what happened on Thursday from the people in line. I wasn't planning to wait in line for Lego mini fig. But i am also learning where I need to be at where, and I didn't know which figure is being given out at which day. I am a new newbie. I didn't check fbtb until I was waiting in line at that time. I didn't get the mini fig, which totally okay. I had fun experience the whole thing, saw a lot of stuff.

I do have to point out, the steps behind the convention center is kinda scary, and not easy to walk down, they are at an odd angle. Waiting in line and standing under the sun on those are not fun.

Saturday, I got up even earlier in order to get the Hasbro ticket. And I made it to the ticket line this time, got my ticket with a time slot to shop at Hasbro booth at 12pm. So, I stopped by the booth at 11am to check, Boba Fett is already sold out for the entire show already. And make matter worst, they are handing out tickets (that I got up at 4am to wait in line for) to anyone surprisingly. Double whammy. That hurt. I could have waited in line for Hall H for all the great panels.

I skip the mini fig on Saturday. Since I don't care about the variant Superman, the fig I truly want is Green Arrow. I love the Tv show, Arrow. So I skip the Breaking Bad as well as the Dr Who anniversary panels on Sunday to wait in line at Lego.

I didn't get it, I was disappointed, and I am okay, I understand it wasn't my day.

I am not a sore looser. I saw someone with the green arrow fig. I was very happy for them, I even congratulated them. I didn't ask them to sell that to me, the thought never came up. I didn't check ebay at all.

HOWEVER, if I have known the raffle "maybe" targeting for kids, I would have just skip the Lego line all together, and go wait in line for the panels in Hall H instead. I lost that opportunity. I was angry >8( at Lego for doing this, but that was 4 days ago. It is over now. Life goes on. :)

To end this on a good note...

I am on vacationing in Hong Kong this past 2 weeks right after SDCC, I caught the tail end of an awesome Lego Exhibit... Piece of Peace / World Heritage Exhibit world tour here in Hong Kong, my mind was blown. I wish this exhibit will travel to US someday. (Maybe an idea for a LEGO offsite event at a future SDCC... if Lego people are listening here)

Here is the link to my pictures (over 200+) taken at this Lego exhibit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/talosman/sets/72157634844004038/

Peace! XD
talosman

Postby gomek » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:36 pm

OK.. so obviously the board seems to be split. Some wish they would do it better next year, and some wish they wouldn’t do it at all. Obviously I’m with the latter.

But all I ask is that people will consider where this is going. So perhaps Lego decides that next year they have a better plan. And we’ll all get a chance not to get even better figures, and even more of them. You don’t care because you don’t like superheroes? Maybe even we get to not buy Zuckuss, 4-Lom, Marty McFly, Eowyn, Faramir, Daredevil, Punisher, and [insert the charter you always wanted here].

Perhaps they can even do it without any unscrupulous employee behavior leaking out.

But it won’t end there. Do you think exclusives are the only tricks collectible companies have up their sleeves? Think again. Do you think Lego can figure out ways to get you to buy the same set three or four times, like the comic companies have? I can. I can think of a dozen ways to do that. You want to have 27 Batmans but not be able to afford a $400 Martian Manhunter. It can happen.

I know I’ve had more then my two cents here.. but please. Let’s try to nip this in the bud. You don’t want Lego to turn to the practices of the comic book and collectable card industry. I’ve seen it. It doesn’t end well. Not for collectors, not for the industry.

I’m not negative because I dislike Lego. I love Lego. I always will. But this time next year I really would rather be excited about something I can actually buy, and enjoy.
gomek

Postby talosman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:33 pm

Agree, Lego is all about creativity and fun. Exclusive is the opposite. It is exciting only at the moment Lego announced the exclusives, that's it. 99.99% of the world can't get to touch them. Only see it via the internet, such as ebay. That's just sad.
Last edited by talosman on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
talosman

Postby onions » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:21 pm

okay so here's my rant. and it's not about them rigging the system, at least not directly. I think there's plenty of speculation out there on that already. it's about them possibly lying.

i was told by three different people no less what the quantities were for the giveaways. 350 each spider woman and spider-man, and 200 each superman and green arrow.

The winning ticket numbers were predetermined. they were broken up in chunks of 50 and displayed on their digital sign and on the tumbler site. I don't have Spider-woman's numbers up, but I can only assume that the range of numbers equaled 350 winners. Spider-man's winning numbers from Friday show 325 winning numbers:

Superman's numbers came out okay, equaling 200 winners:

However, Green arrow's numbers show only 175 winners instead of the expected 200:

so what's the deal? i asked the PR rep about this. she couldn't say for sure, but guessed that the images had to be pre-made in order for them to be ready to go up on the tumbler site when needed. This corroborates their statement that the winning numbers were predetermined. but the numbers totally contradict what was told to me by three separate people what the availability was.

there are two possible explanations: a) the signs were correct, there were 25 less minifigures to give out for spiderman and green arrow, or b) the signs were incorrect and that there actually were the full amount that was communicated.

if scenario a is true, then it brings the competency level of running the giveaway down to an all new low. i don't see why they would lie about having more figures to give away than they really do when the signs clearly show exacly how many were awarded.

if scenario b is true, then they purposefully withheld figures for whatever reason. i say purposefully because if you examine Superman's slide, it shows a mistake that was corrected with bad photoshopping. And if they have the ability to do that, then they would be able to rectify the two mistakes that were made for spiderman and green arrow. or, it wasn't a mistake and they did a better photoshop job to change the numbers on purpose so that a portion of the figures were set aside.

i don't preclude the possibility that their licensors came along and said, hey, give us 25 of this and 25 of that. and if that's the case, a simple hand written sign saying something along the lines of "due to unforeseen circumstances, we are only giving away 325 of Spiderman" would have sufficed. And it's not like they don't have the ability to print out a sign: they did it for friday's bonus raffle of spiderwoman in the first picture. there's probably piles of these sitting in someone's office.

and i still think joy has some very compelling arguments.

oh and one more thing, i was assured that everyone at the LEGO booth was on the same page when it comes to the giveaways. but i've been told many times at previous conventions that the exclusives are meant for kids and that they hate seeing people run up to the kids and offer to buy whatever exclusive they've just won. so i think there is a motive there for whoever is actually physically handing out the tickets to either decide for himself or be given instruction to target (mostly) kids. it's impossible for everyone at an event to know exactly what everyone else is doing let alone know what everyone's intent is. and when confronted, of course the responsible parties are going to deny anything, or maybe they admitted to it all and the statement they released was just to cover themselves. we'll never know the truth because we're both convinced that we're right.

other than motive, knowing that the winning numbers are preselected gives them opportunity to separate the winners from the losers. we weren't able to pick our own ticket as they were handed to us. this is precisely why in wheel of fortune's bonus round pat sajack instructs the winner to pick up their own envelope. and we weren't able to see the pile of tickets that they were drawn from either. it's easy to separate winning tickets from losing ones inside a gigantic bag that only you have access to.

they had motive, opportunity, but did they have the intent. the last one's hard to prove; some of us want to say yes and some of us believe it to be true, but others give lego the benefit of the doubt. in the end this event was handled really, really poorly.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby talosman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:59 am

FYI, over at Marvel's booth, they did gave out one LEGO exclusive mini figure, Spider-woman at one point while I walk past their booth. And they pick a kid as well. I guess I can assume those missing ones were given out to DC and Marvel as special give away?
talosman

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes