Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Back To The Future Set Revealed

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Back To The Future Set Revealed

Postby wegj » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:53 am

best news ever..
WEGJ –keep creating!
http://BRICKSTORMS.com Custom Models and Minifigs
wegj

Postby sparkart » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:20 pm

It'll be somewhat easy to cobble together an old West outfit for "Clint Eastwood" and a radiation suit for "Darth Vader" for Marty, eh?
sparkart

Postby DarthBuilder » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:01 pm

The mini figures help this set a lot but for me the fact that the digital date tile looks to be printed and not a sticker is a win. Definitely my favorite piece in this set since Oct 26th is also my Birthday. XD
DarthBuilder

Postby cas » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Not bad, looks basically how I expected, bonnet sucks, but super stoked that all three versions are buildable. This car would be so much better in a larger scale a la the VW bus. Regardless, sign me up for three so I can have each version on my desk!
cas
Staff Writer

Postby rushiosan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:23 am

"But the model still looks like crap."

That kind of stuff makes me lose any respect for FBTB staff.
rushiosan

Postby onions » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:59 am

rushiosan wrote:"But the model still looks like crap."

because we have an opinion?
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby onions » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:00 am

btw, everything in the set is printed.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 am

Speak for yourself. I have no opinions, and treat every model and set with equal levels of disdain.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby CloneEmperor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:31 am

I am rabidly excited for this set, and I will definitely get one. I'm excited about the printed parts and the minifigures (Christopher Lloyd FTW) and I always like seeing building techniques used.

That being said, the model looks like crap. It looks like a Delorean in the same way that a Yugo looks like a Delorean. Do I understand why they did the hood the way they did? Yes, but it is regrettable that doing that took away some of the distinctive look of the car.

Bottom line, I'm going to get one and I'm not going to vocally complain about it (I know, what am I doing on the internet if I don't vocally complain about minor, unimportant things), but I will regret that it isn't as good as it could have been.
CloneEmperor

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 am

Oh, I'll get it too, but I'm in total agreement with the opinion: it's an ugly set. I love Back to the Future, it was a movie series that I grew up with, and still remember seeing part 3 in the theaters when it first came out. I've bought a lot of sets that I thought were ugly, for a variety of reasons (on sale, wanted a minifig, parts, or just some sense of completion).

Heck, I absolutely tore apart the Pirates of the Caribbean sets in reviews, but still owned multiples of every set in the line other than the ships (thanks to deep discounts due to the fact that they were, in fact, terrible, terrible sets). I own all of the original LotR run, despite the fact that for the most part they were uninspired and boring (because I wanted the minifigures).

We're adult collectors, and sometimes that means we make decisions that have little to do with aesthetics. More than that, FBTB is a site that is defined entirely on opinion already, so it shouldn't come as a shock that the staff has opinions. We even disagree on those opinions from time to time (go look at me and Robzula trading barbs in my Gungan Sub review).

That's the whole purpose of a review on this site site... not to judge it by the merits of the toy alone. As adults, we can't do that, because we're never the target audience for the toy. Reviews are as much about the author as they are the subject matter... that's what makes them fun, even if you don't agree with it. Look at the discussion around the Xbox 180 and the AwesomeStation 4 (I bet you can guess which side I come on from that statement), and reviewers like Jim Sterling on Destructoid giving out his opinions, which are polarizing.

The FBTB staff has its opinions. Ace is crazy for the polybags, Ken loves his nerdrage, Don would marry R2 if it was legal, and I'm incapable of writing a complete sentence that doesn't include some form of sarcasm in it. The lovely thing about opinions is that they're neither wrong or right, they're just opinions. And I think most people would say that's why stuff is usually worth reading anywhere.

Oh, and the model still totally sucks.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby rushiosan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:08 am

onions wrote:
rushiosan wrote:"But the model still looks like crap."

because we have an opinion?

No, because you rarely write your opinion about a set without cursing or overreacting. I agree this set could be better in a matter of design, it looks too bricky and, overall, kinda "unfinished" while comparing to the initial Cusoo design. But it was really necessary to use such statement? It sounded like a 6-yo kid describing how vegetables sucks...

I really didn't want to make a comparasion, but that kind of behavior make me think why there's a huge difference between Eurobricks' reviews and FBTB's.
rushiosan

Postby onions » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:51 am

when did i review the set?
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby CloneEmperor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Wait, wait, wait. So "crap" is now a curse word?

... I really need to keep my curse words more up to date or I won't be one of the cool kids anymore ...
CloneEmperor

Postby rushiosan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 pm

I guess I'm done.
rushiosan

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:14 pm

dWhisper wrote:The FBTB staff has its opinions. Ken loves his nerdrage...

Not cool dW. Not everything makes me Hulk out, I like some stuff...

like...

... uhhhh.

OH! One thing I did like was the (non-Hobbit) LotR line. Except for the Orc Forge, that was a piece of crap.

The model is ugly, but so was the car. I still want two.
buriedbybricks

Postby bigospedros » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:46 am

buriedbybricks wrote:The model is ugly, but so was the car. I still want two.

Precisely ... since when was the Delorean a good looking car ?!

I don't like the bonnet on the shown model, but that's not gonna stop me buying it. Also, who's to say the other two versions of the Delorean will have the same design?
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:51 am

rushiosan wrote:I guess I'm done.

don't give up that easily. i mean obviously you cared enough to pipe up and i always welcome the feedback. but to expand on what i was trying to say, i don't ever recall giving a review, just my opinion on what the model looks like from the preliminary pictures. should i be lucky enough to get a set for review, and, fingers-crossed that it'll happen next week, i'll do what i always do and approach the review from neutral position as possible, and then give examples on why i think it sucks.

maybe it's just me, but i don't mind reading the opinions of authors on blog/news sites. it's what keeps things interesting. what else is interesting is that i can say something is awesome, like the ewok village, and not get any feedback at all. but the second i have something negative to say about a product, someone pipes up and this isn't the first time this has happened either. i get it. people don't like to hear negative things, but not everything is puppy dogs and space marines either.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Solo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:26 pm

bigospedros wrote:
buriedbybricks wrote:The model is ugly, but so was the car. I still want two.

Precisely ... since when was the Delorean a good looking car ?!

It's a matter of taste really, and I guess you guys have none. :D

Opinions aside, the problem I see here is that the model poorly recreates the actual car, not whether the original design sucked or not (which it didn't). If nothing else they should have worked in a hinge so the hood could be properly sloped. The staircase effect might have looked alright if the scale was larger but here it is just so out of place.

I don't hate it though. They have design constraints to work within and the end result looks better scaled to the minifigures than the prototype model. Including parts to swap between the different movie versions is beyond what I expected so props for going that far. The price is very reasonable too. I still wish they would have given Marty a pink hoverboard instead of his skateboard, but I get that a new mold just for that is asking too much. Only a little disappointed they left off one of the lines from the display tile, but setting the destination date to Jan 28 1958 is clever enough to make up for it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Taste, Ha!

The whole reason they chose that car was because of the futuristic (but still ugly) design and the fact that they were basically lemons, which is why Marty seems surprised and mildly repulsed. It's all part of setting up that Doc is crazy and it's a central joke to the movie. They can't even keep it running!

It only gained real popularity amongst nerds due to the movie. Just another piece of junk we love...

Generally, I've found that those who think the D is actually attractive, also think this is a good looking Mustang:

Sexay.

Though you made me think about one thing Don. I had been under the impression that this look was needed for the gear attached to the hood for part 3, but now I wonder if a hinged plate covered with tiles could work and allow for the addition with a simple removal of the central tile...

I foresee myself fiddling with this quite a bit. Too bad the new snowboard element doesn't come in pink.
buriedbybricks

Postby Solo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Nah man, the completely off the mark futuristic design is what makes it great. Getting turned into a time machine helped it gain pop cultural awareness of course, but there are plenty of other weird good looking old cars with cult followings. If Doc went with anything else, even a fridge like the original script planned, some people would still hold the car in high regard even as it slipped into relative obscurity. That Mustang though... man. Were there any good muscle cars in the '80s? At all?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes