Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Hobbit Part 2 trailer

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Hobbit Part 2 trailer

Postby banthafodder » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:19 am

The first trailer for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug has been released. Looks great.
http://social.entertainment.msn.com/mov ... d=ansent11
banthafodder

Re: Hobbit Part 2 trailer

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am

I have to say, I'm rolling my eyes at the fact that the Dwarves SNEAKING OUT inside barrels has somehow been turned into an epic, running battle sequence on the river, with Dwarves standing up, fighting from inside the barrels as the Elves give chase.
Mister Ed

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Looks awesome. I am in the process of reading through the Hobbit book for the first time and am a little over halfway...it's interesting to be reading it before the actual movie comes out, for once.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:47 pm

It's funny, but with The Lord of the Rings movies, I felt like having read the books added to the enjoyment of the movies, but with The Hobbit, I'm starting to feel like it almost is a detriment, given how very different many aspects have become, and how much has been added ("shoehorned in" is the term I would use, but that's just me). Reading the book doesn't give you much of an idea of what to expect from the movie, it seems like, except in a few select scenes that have been more or less faithful. Not saying the first movie was a bad movie, or that the next looks to be either. But they fail as an adaptation of The Hobbit, IMHO, and I can't help but feel that I would enjoy them more had I never read the book they are supposed to be based on.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I never had any illusions that The Lord of the Rings could be filmed without making changes, and a lot the changes made seemed like they were done to allow such an expansive story to fit within the running time. Whereas with The Hobbit, I've no doubt that a massive trilogy COULD easily portray the source material (and in fact is too MUCH runtime for it) but the changes made seem to have been more for the sake of squeezing some more action scenes into the narrative, and tieing it in more strongly to LotR, neither of which seems at all necessary for a Hobbit film, IMHO.
Mister Ed

Postby lego the hutt » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Did you realize mister ed before going into seeing the Hobbit that there had been a decision made to follow Gandalfs side of the story as well as the dwarven fellowship? Gandalfs side of the story is only briefly mentioned in passing in the Hobbit. He just tends to come and go and leaves the group on multiple occasions in the actual story.

They owned the right to the appendix in the return of the king that further talks about gandalfs side of the story in the Hobbit.

I think most Hobbit fans who care about that kind of thing were well aware that the movies were planned to go into many more details than the book covers long before the movie was released.
lego the hutt

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:30 am

I knew they were going into Gandalf's side of the story (though I wished they weren't, and given how poorly it was integrated, I still wish they hadn't after seeing it). I wasn't aware how drastically they were planning to alter the other part of the story until closer to release. Pretty much everything was modified to punch up the action level. There were a few scenes that came across as pretty brilliantly faithful to the spirit of the book, but an awful lot seemed to me to suffer from trying too hard for spectacle.

Now understand, my issues come almost purely from looking at the movies as an adaptation of The Hobbit ( I still think the main quest, and the side story with the Necromancer, are very poorly integrated, and the latter just feels tacked on). I think they fail pretty badly on that score (granted that I've only seen one, plus a trailer for the second, but I feel confident that the trend will continue). But as an entertaining action/fantasy film, I found the first very enjoyable, and the second looks much the same. I just have to look at it as being "inspired by" The Hobbit, rather than "adapted from".
Mister Ed

Return to Licensed Themes