Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lego Doctor Who?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Lego Doctor Who?

Postby Joedward » Wed May 27, 2009 6:41 am

:shock:

:O

*prepares for a beat down, nerd style*

Doctor Who is a British TV show. It ran from the 60s to the 80s (I think) before beign cut. But a few years ago a new series was started and it's been one of the most popular shows we've had here in recent years. And it is extremly good, and not lame, and neither is BTTF. BTTF is awesome.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby dakdogba » Wed May 27, 2009 7:35 am

:shock: indeed.

bttf lame? >8( >8( >8(

anyway, as i have said too many times, lego is a europoean company and the "its brittish and the americans dont know it" argument is void. also, the 8th doctor (film) seemed very americanised.
dakdogba

Postby legofett » Wed May 27, 2009 2:01 pm

:p I never said BTTF or Dr.W was lame just a lame idea for legos, as most kids could not relate to them.
legofett

Postby Bertramtalespinner » Wed May 27, 2009 3:50 pm

EXTERMINATE!!!

Ah-hem.
[quote "Wikipedia"]Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC. The programme depicts the adventures of a mysterious alien time-traveller known as "the Doctor" who travels in his space and time-ship, the TARDIS, which normally appears from the exterior to be a blue 1950s police box. With his companions, he explores time and space, solving problems, facing monsters and righting wrongs.[/quote]
It's tuff to explain the massive appeal if you didn't grow up on it's old run. But it's new incarnation is HUGE in Britain and places like Canada and Australia which have British roots/ties.

Americans as a rule don't know or get the show.

And we will never see Lego pick it up. However, it's the one thing I really wish I was able to spend time doing MOC's of.
Bertramtalespinner

Postby ccjwprongs » Thu May 28, 2009 1:28 pm

legofett wrote::p I never said BTTF or Dr.W was lame just a lame idea for legos

Don't let The Master hear you saying that!
Neeeooowwwwww
ccjwprongs

Postby Iare Tosevite » Thu May 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Doctor who Lego sets: Awesome but will never happen. Lego is primarily for kids and they dont watch that kinda show.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby dakdogba » Fri May 29, 2009 3:15 am

so it's just a family orientated show that children don't watch??? :roll:

look on the BBC website, they get kids to review the episodes, and books.
dakdogba

Postby Bertramtalespinner » Fri May 29, 2009 7:26 am

The only way it would happen would be regional offerings, like some of the stuff that was Europe only and was never marketed to the North American market, like Little Robots.
Bertramtalespinner

Postby dakdogba » Fri May 29, 2009 10:26 am

to get back on topic, lets think of playsets they could produce
tardis comes with interior, "blue box", rose, captain jack, extapolator, donna martha and donna and both doctors

platform one, with 9th, rose the editor and jagrafess

gamestation with 9th jack rose anddaleks
new earth hospital,
torchwood house
parallel earth, cyber base
torchwood tower
royal hope hospital
hoverville
lazerus' party
valliant
sycorax ship....
the list goes on?
dakdogba

Postby The Master » Sat May 30, 2009 2:01 am

legofett - POST 1 wrote:Whats dr. who? *prepares for nerd bashing*

Alls I know is wikipedia said thats what that hyperspace guy from family guy blue harvest was. Thats all I ever heard of "dr. who".

Is it a European thing?

Not even my 50 year old dad knows about it.

Sounds like a very lame idea for kids, next to back to the future.

ccjwprongs wrote:
legofett - POST 2 wrote::p I never said BTTF or Dr.W was lame just a lame idea for legos

Don't let The Master hear you saying that!

Whether he's calling it lame or not, I don't really care - because he's a kid. :| The above quote (Post 1) certainly looks like he's having a dig at it and then he attempts to get out of the hole he's dug himself (Post 2). My evidence for this is that he doesn't once mention Lego in Post 1. :S

At the end of the day, people should just remember to act in a sensible manner when on an internet forum. Being horrible won't get you anywhere. Just like Americans who hate English stuff, I once knew of many English people who hated American stuff. However, I thankfully stopped having to speak to these people after leaving college with my A-levels. I no longer had to do group work with them in class.

Iare Tosevite wrote:Doctor who Lego sets: Awesome but will never happen. Lego is primarily for kids and they dont watch that kinda show.

Iare is right (just as I have said time and time before). Doctor Who toys are currently the sole property of "Character Options" who make the 5 inch action figures and every other Who toy you see in Argos, Sainsbury's, Tesco & Toys R Us. However, as for kids not watching "that kinda show" - you're very mistaken Iare. :S

I don't know why everyone on here thinks this. I know people with kids as young as 6 years old who like Doctor Who. And by that I mean the New Series and not the Classic era stuff. Kids love Doctor Who. BHS and Marks & Spencer sell Doctor Who slippers and PJ sets - Argos sell Doctor Who duvet covers! You need to be living in the UK to understand how popular it is with kids. :|
:)
The Master

Postby Bertramtalespinner » Sat May 30, 2009 4:42 am

The Master wrote: Kids love Doctor Who. BHS and Marks & Spencer sell Doctor Who slippers and PJ sets - Argos sell Doctor Who duvet covers! I need to be mailing stuff overseas to spread the Who love.

Just fixed that last bit up for you. It's brutal trying to find anything here in Canada. My wife wants an insulated Tardis lunch bag. A friend got me a couple Character Options figures but all I can find now are Idiot's Lantern grannies and what's his name pigboy. Need me some weeping angels and a Dalek or three. AND THOSE CLASSIC DOCTORS!!!
Bertramtalespinner

Postby Iare Tosevite » Sat May 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Yeah? I never see anything Doctor Who-related toys around here.

Guess it is regional difference...
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Master Fetty » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Yup - its a British thing.

It was made back in the 60s, had a film with Cushing, ran to the 80s, had a film in the 90s and was redone four years back with Christopher Eccleston (Claude from Heroes), then David Tennant (Crouch in Harry Potter 4). Its huge over here and is something you struggle to find people who don't like (especially those aged 8 thru 16/17). Basically, it follows 'The Doctor', a Time Lord who travels through time and space in his time machine (TARDIS). That looks like a police box.
Its not as lame as it sounds.

See - we don't all have to bash people for not knowing stuff. XD
Master Fetty

Postby The Master » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:32 am

We did have a thread dedicated to Doctor Who in the BCS - on the old forums (FBTB1) that is. When this place was created, I found myself to be very busy with work and I still am. My time on FBTB has been reduced by 75% - hence the reason why no new Who thread has been created for FBTB2. In the old days (FBTB1), I'd come on here four days per week. Now, I'm lucky to come on here once a week. :(

However, as my friends on here will see, I still continue with my news posting. Seen my sig? News Flash! ;) If you're a fan of Doctor Who but still haven't heard about Karen Gillan becoming the new companion -> Where have you been recently?! :shock:
:)
The Master

Postby Bertramtalespinner » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:48 am

You are the Master. I will obey you. Though Ms. gillian might be pretty persuasive. :shock:
Bertramtalespinner

Postby slicer87 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Doctor Who is shown pretty often here in the states, I grew up watching the classic series on local NJ channels and the new series is shown on both the SciFi channel and BBC Amercia.
ST=CT
slicer87

Postby Marty » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:40 pm

I was wondering if Lego did decide to do this subject as a theme, what you be the best way to approach it?
Would they do the old series, starting with William Hartnell, or the latest one, or better yet make up their own version?

For me, the only good doctors series where, Tom Baker, Patrick Troughton & the new one Christopher Eccleston.
I liked Peter Cushing take on it too, and if Lego where to look at this, then it would be a good starting point.

Even if it was kept to just 4 sets as a starting point, what would they be?
Considering it would prodbably consist of;
1 small set, 2 medium sets & 1 large.

For me, the small set would be the Tardis police box and the doctor?
The first medium set would be the Tardis interior with the Doctor and perhaps K9 and an assistant.
The second would be one of the villians, either the Cybermen, Daleks or along those lines and a small ship of sorts.
The largest would be either the interior of the dalek spaceship with the emperor dalek, or the time lords planet base with various doctor changes and the Master.
This is just a thought, Marty.
Marty

Postby nparker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:43 am

"Sounds like a very lame idea for kids, next to back to the future."??? >:( >:( >:(

you can say that, but you have not actually watched the amazing show that is Doctor Who.

I bet plenty of people would think that your favourite TV shows are lame (Family Guy is VERY lame!).

Changing subject, The Master's post was very justified, and I agree with it completely. :) :) :) XD
nparker

Postby ka.lego » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:14 am

Maybe this will whet your appetites. Click below to see a / the Dr. Who cast illustrated as minifigs.

http://io9.com/5682902/the-cast-of-doct ... -treatment
ka.lego

Postby Boyfromvalley » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Boyfromvalley

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes