Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lego Doctor Who?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Lego Doctor Who?

Postby dandaman62 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:08 am

Do you think it would work? I can imagine a bad-a lego TARDIS
Last edited by dandaman62 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dandaman62

Re: Lego Doctor Who?

Postby meeotch » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:15 am

There was a really nice UCS Tardis at Brickfest. I'm not really familiar enough with Dr. Who to know what other models could possibly come from the line.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Big C » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:30 am

I love me some Dr. Who, but I have a hard time seeing a LEGO line selling well. There's not much more in the way of iconic things that could be done, outside of the Tardis.
Big C

Postby dandaman62 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 pm

well perhaps there could be sets from the new series. Like a Dalek ship, the Dalek Emperor, the Valiant.
dandaman62

Postby Joedward » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:50 pm

What about nice collectible/display piece sets.
i.e. UCS Daleks, CyberMen, K9, etc. It's really unlikely, but it's a cool idea.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Duckman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:39 pm

Duckman

Postby The Master » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:15 am

Doctor Who will never get a Lego line as there isn't enough global interest in it for Lego to take note of. It's as simple as that (says FBTB's biggest Who fan). :| I'm not really bothered about it either. Doctor Who is Doctor Who. Lego is Lego. :)
:)
The Master

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:55 pm

^^I think you're absolutely right. Dr Who has a long cult following and has multiple storylines and characters that stretch past for decades. Furthermore, Lego's primary target audience is kids. Many kids are unlikely to have heard of or know about Dr Who. And imagine the number of sets it would take to cover the legacy of nine doctors!
Jedd the Jedi

Postby Bertramtalespinner » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:58 pm

But that leaves it wide open for MOC's. I need to take some better photos of my Tardis, and then get back to decal work.
Bertramtalespinner

Postby The Master » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:02 am

Jedd the Jedi wrote:Many kids are unlikely to have heard of or know about Dr Who.

You don't live in the UK do you Jedd? :lol: Don't worry, I know what you mean. :)

Jedd the Jedi wrote:And imagine the number of sets it would take to cover the legacy of nine doctors!

Ten actually. ;) If Lego did produce Doctor Who sets, they would without a doubt be based on things from Series 1-4 of the New Series. Kids would want the sets straight away because of it being Lego Doctor Who! Character Options (who make 5inch Doctor Who action figures) have expanded into the Classic era and have found it to be hugely successful. Whether that success were to follow for Lego (if they were to do the same a couple of years down the line) is purely down to the market. Adult fans and kids who are interested in the Classic era are the ones who can ensure success. The secret is to produce something the kids will want no matter what.

Character Options 5inch Classic Dalek Set
The Master

Postby Linkavitch » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:05 am

Wouldn't they need Lego Doctor Who Sets first? Not to rain on anyones parade, I mean, but hey.

Oops, nevermind. Thought they were talking about a video game. Don't pay attention to me.
Why on earth was the Empire able to build a moon-sized battle station capable of destroying an entire planet when, at the same time, they're most common data storage unit was still a tape!?
Linkavitch

Postby liquidcross » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:12 am

The Master wrote:Ten actually. ;)

Eleven! (Twelve if you count Grant's "Nth Doctor.")

;)
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Joedward » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Which Doctor did Rowan Atkinson play... ;)
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby The Master » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:55 pm

liquidcross wrote:
The Master wrote:Ten actually. ;)

Eleven! (Twelve if you count Grant's "Nth Doctor.")

;)

At the moment, the canon status of Richard E Grant's Doctor is unclear. :| I wish someone would sort the issue out. :(
The Master

Postby imposter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:30 pm

if they make it,il buy it
imposter

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue May 05, 2009 5:45 am

I have to agree with imposter I would buy any sets they made, but a UCS Dalek & UCS Tardis would be my pick. I don't know how well playsets would work, but the thought of Who minifigs is too good to be true.
Unfortunately any speculation is probably pointless, beside the fact that outside of the UK Who is much less known (other than the occassional marathon on PBS years ago, I've rarely seen the show on prior to 9pm) there's also the lisencing issues. After talking to the EIC of IDW comics Chris Ryall about a possible Trek/Who crossover he told me they had already picthed the idea to both parties since they already publish for both camps he thought it would be no problem. Apparently the folks responsible for merchandising Who are very tight with the products they lisence and it's nearly impossible to get releases outside of the UK. Which is why we for the most part can only get imports in North America...
Either way I always keep my fingers crossed...
buriedbybricks

Postby Jargon » Tue May 05, 2009 2:42 pm

While I doubt we'll ever see a LEGO line, there's an excellent brickfilm homage on the web
http://www.oblongpictures.com/films/doc ... l-toyshop/
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed May 06, 2009 7:54 am

A member of QuéLUG made a very good replica of a Dalek with an NXT Intelligent Brick to control its movement :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQPM7qoz1WQ
Daz Hoo

Postby Marty » Wed May 20, 2009 4:43 pm

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=879664

As you can see a dalek mini-figure, if Lego makes the parts, (the top dome, and the bottom part.). Oh! K9 too?
As for the tardis, based on some test sets I'd made and seen on brick-shelf, yes it is possible to make a decent mini-figure sized Tardis, the only new parts would be the two doors at the front as the rest would be pretty easy.
I based my ideas on a 7x7 stud area as this would at least have room for a mini-figure inside, also Lego would have to resurrect the 1 brick windows (white of course!) It's all in the detail folks!
Apart from that, you would need 5 stickers, but thats the easy part?

Regards Marty
Marty

Postby legofett » Wed May 27, 2009 5:08 am

Whats dr. who? *prepares for nerd bashing*

Alls I know is wikipedia said thats what that hyperspace guy from family guy blue harvest was. Thats all I ever heard of "dr. who".

Is it a European thing?

Not even my 50 year old dad knows about it.

Sounds like a very lame idea for kids, next to back to the future.
legofett

Next

Return to Licensed Themes