Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Iron Man 3 Sets Revealed

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Iron Man 3 Lego Sets fully revealed!

Postby CaptainFordo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:44 pm

I expect someone's already hammering up a news post on this, but Comicbookmovie.com http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=73945 (via Bleeding Cool) just dropped the box art for all of the IM3 sets

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed...

None of the sets really wow me, though the best is probably the Malibu Mansion and holy spoilers batman that's
Spoiler: show
Pepper in the suit!
. It's hardly the full-sized model most of us expected, but with 5 figures, a building and a chopper it's not a bad deal.

Mandarin is a big disappointment, maybe Gandalf spoiled me, but that beard has never looked menacing. I know they were probably loathe to create a new piece but Gandalf's would've done well enough, surely? The Iron Man vs Mandarin set sounded like a steal, but with the naffest attack buggy I've seen and a weirdly sleeveless Mandarin (he may be sleeveless at some point in the film, but it's a much less attractive minifig look...) it feels pretty underwhelming.

The Sea Port battle is probably the nicest put together one, I just wish the boat wasn't quite so dull. nice to see Rhodey gets a gun after all and red repulsors too. I think that's probably the set I'll pick up if I don't go for Malibu, but ARGH it's so frustrating how the minifigs are split up, because I want Heartbreaker Iron Man, but the Malibu Mandarin and Rhodey would be cool to get too...

Edit: Gack, just saw Gooker posted these in the IM Minifig topic. Maybe that should be renamed "Iron Man 3 Discussion" topic now, since much of the conversation seems to be happening there?
CaptainFordo

Iron Man 3 Sets Revealed

Postby Staff » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Brickset is reporting on new Iron Man 3 sets revealed by Barnes & Noble. Three sets have been shown so far, which matches up to what the press release released today states: 76006 Iron Man: Extremis Sea Port Battle, 76007 Iron Man: Malibu Mansion Attack, and 76008 Iron Man vs. The Mandarain: Ultimate Showdown. So unless there's an account exclusive that hasn't been revealed yet, this is all we can expect for Iron Man 3 sets. And if that's the case, pardon my frnech but where the hell is Iron Patriot?!?!

Thanks to ninnymuggins for the heads up.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/02/07/iron-man-3-sets-revealed/
Staff

Re: Iron Man 3 Sets Revealed

Postby onions » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:42 pm

typos typos typos. i'm too inebriated to care.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby murphquake » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 am

Best. Post. About. Typos. Ever.
murphquake

Postby sparkart » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:31 am

The Mandarin's ultimate weapon for his ultimate showdown is a flaming golf cart?
Last edited by sparkart on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
sparkart

Postby UOldPirate » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:34 am

I don't speak "frnech" but I completely agree, where is the Iron Patriot minifig? Anyone else think 3 sets for Iron Man is a little on the light side? If there were 4 Avengers sets last year, maybe there is still a 4th Iron Man set with an Iron Patriot that we haven't seen yet. (Fingers crossed)
UOldPirate

Postby Flynn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 am

That "Ultimate Showdown" is so delightfully absurd in its sheer underwhelming-ness that it makes me kinda like it.

It's just so silly...
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby CaptainFordo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:32 am

I have to say I've warmed up to the golf-cart in my sleep :P I think the base is fine, it's just the super long turret thart ruins it, making that shorter would make it more palatable. And yet ANOTHER double barrelled gun. Where are those old Batman gun-looking guns? They use them in the Lego Marvel game for Deadpool and Widow, and on that Avengers poster...

In another note, Mandarin's bodies would make for great Ra's Al Ghul customs. The Ultimate one for his Arkham CIty look and Malibu for TAS.
CaptainFordo

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:15 am

Best bet: Patriot isin the Hard-To-Find set, they usually don't tell us about that one nearly as soon and it usually has at least one exclusive minifig. I really can't imagine them not having him in a set.
Ultron32

Postby CaptainFordo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:37 am

OR Iron Patriot could well be the Marvel Superheroes bonus figure. The promo figures often seem to be variants of an existing character these days: Clark Kent Supes, Electro-suit Batman, Voodoo Jack Sparrow, Armoured Lex Luthor etc (with the exception of Second Age Elrond, who later became a set character)
CaptainFordo

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 am

At best, these sets look just "alright." The boat can't possibly live up to the awesomeness of the new batboat, and what's up with that lame little buoy? Why do they have to put lame little satellite components into every set? I wish they'd just invest those parts in the main model and make a better model.

The Malibu Mansion looks kinda cool, but will be on-par with the Hulk Helicarrier Breakout and the new Spidey/Daily Bugle sets. Also, while I love a good chopper, that helicopter is so similar to the one in the X-men set that it's not enticing me to buy this set at all.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby CaptainFordo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:28 am

buriedbybricks wrote:The Elrond in the set is different iirc.

I know, but I meant that he was different in that he was a promo first and then got a variant in a set, rather than vice versa.
CaptainFordo

Postby sparkart » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:44 am

I must get that boat set for the two Iron Man armors. Which "buster" armor are you going to make? There's the classic Hulk-buster, but then there's a Thor-buster and Phoenix-buster armors "documented" in the comic-books.

I think a Chima-buster or Ninjago-buster armor would be amusing. Or a Mega-Block Lego-buster.

Maybe with the War Machine, a Silver-Surfer-Buster could fit the grey color pallette, or a Thor-inspired Destroyer-buster? Ultron-buster? Ultron did take over Iron Man's armor in the comics at one time, and as if comic books weren't already weird, became a girl.

Or maybe with War Machine, a Hulk-buster-buster add-on modification? Too absurd?
sparkart

Postby that guy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm sorry if it was covered and I missed it but who the heck is in the boat, a sea sick version of Fenrir Greyback?? You can't read the box but it's a "first and last name" person so clearly not the Mandarin right??

Oops, a quick Google search and I figured out it's Aldrich Killian, my bad.....
that guy

Postby BrickDeth1123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:34 pm

The way I see it, Bruce got his Batcave (twice) so it makes sense for Tony to have his workshop. Even if it is small, from what I can see the details seem promising. The price doesn't kill me either.

In any case I'm getting them, I think the Boat and Mansion set could be fun builds.
BrickDeth1123

Postby CaptainFordo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:18 am

sparkart wrote:I must get that boat set for the two Iron Man armors. Which "buster" armor are you going to make? There's the classic Hulk-buster, but then there's a Thor-buster and Phoenix-buster armors "documented" in the comic-books.

I think a Chima-buster or Ninjago-buster armor would be amusing. Or a Mega-Block Lego-buster.

Maybe with the War Machine, a Silver-Surfer-Buster could fit the grey color pallette, or a Thor-inspired Destroyer-buster? Ultron-buster? Ultron did take over Iron Man's armor in the comics at one time, and as if comic books weren't already weird, became a girl.

Or maybe with War Machine, a Hulk-buster-buster add-on modification? Too absurd?

Don't forget the Galactus Buster in IM's Marvel vs Capcom 3 epilogue:
CaptainFordo

Postby sparkart » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Galactus Buster?! With that kind of power, I'm glad Tony Stark is on our side.

I was just musing about the Mandarin's flaming golf cart...could that be the movie interpretation of the dragon, Fin Fang Foom? Weird.
sparkart

Postby CaptainFordo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:48 pm

^ Not sure if you were being 100% sarcastic or not (I'm guessing there was at least a little in there :P), but the Heroes Lego sets aren't always 100% movie accurate, I mean look at Cap's Avenging Cycle.

In fact it will be interesting to see if that armour, or sleeveless Mandarin appear in the movie at all. While Lego has put in characters who weren't in the scenes before (i.e. Iron Man in the Cosmic Cube escape) they've never stepped outside of the films in terms of costume variants before.
CaptainFordo

Postby emmtwosix » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 am

sparkart wrote:The Mandarin's ultimate weapon for his ultimate showdown is a flaming golf cart?

So, you're saying you wouldn't take on a man in a flying, heavily militarized suit of armor with a (presumably) hastily built flaming golf cart, which is, in all likelihood, more of a danger to you than him?

Why even live, man!
emmtwosix

Next

Return to Licensed Themes