Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Hobbit Board Game Revealed

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Postby Staff » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:40 am

Toys "R" Us has The Hobbit LEGO board game available to pre-order for $34.99. I'll be adding this one to my game collection and look forward to picking it up when it's released on September 24th.

The Hobbit Board Game

The world of The Hobbit comes alive in a whole new way with this fun LEGO Board Game! Build the board yourself, then put your brain to the test to help find the missing dwarves in Hobbiton. In this cool twist on the classic memory game, you'll use clues from beloved characters like Gandalf the Grey and the hobbits of the Shire to figure out the dwarves' location.

The LEGO Board Game - The Hobbit features:

Includes 1 board game with play tiles, LEGO pieces, and a die
Construct the board yourself out of LEGOs
Challenge your memory skills to find the missing dwarves
Imaginatively immerse yourself in the world of The Hobbit
For 2 to 4 players

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/07/24/the-hobbit-board-game-revealed/
Staff

Re: The Hobbit Board Game Revealed

Postby daevster » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:05 pm

I haven't purchased any of the LEGO games before, but after seeing that irresistibly cute Gandalf, this one might be my first.
http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/83288
http://www.youtube.com/user/daevster

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome..." -Walter Elias Disney
daevster

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Pity it seems so basic. I wasn't hoping for a masterpiece of game design or anything, but a glorified version of Memory is a bit of a letdown. Something that actually incorporated at least some part of the book's plot into the narrative of the game would have been nice.
Mister Ed

Postby AGC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:12 am

I think it will be available exclusively at Argos (and of course shop.lego.com/en-GB) in the UK from October, according to the new Argos catalog.
AGC

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:05 am

Any idea how those "memory cards" are assembled?

The images suggest that they are placed head-down<sic> in the hobbit holes and are lifted out by attaching a torch to the 2x2 green dish on the reverse side. So how is the (printed?) tile attached to the dish? There is what looks like a green 2x2 plate between the tile and the dish. Is that some new kind of stud reverser?
Gingerbeard Man

Postby alldarker » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:18 am

Gingerbeard Man wrote:Any idea how those "memory cards" are assembled?

The images suggest that they are placed head-down<sic> in the hobbit holes and are lifted out by attaching a torch to the 2x2 green dish on the reverse side. So how is the (printed?) tile attached to the dish? There is what looks like a green 2x2 plate between the tile and the dish. Is that some new kind of stud reverser?

I'm guessing the printed tiles are in fact these new 2012 parts: Tile, Modified 2 x 2 Inverted, in combination with the plate, Modified 2 x 2 with Groove and 1 Stud in Center.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a let-down of a game. As mentioned, it's just glorified memory, and could have been done with any generic theme. At least with the Star Wars game I was quite impressed with how they managed to tie in the actual movie set-piece of the Battle of Hoth with the (arguably chess-like, but enjoyable) Lego game.
alldarker

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 am

Yeah, I still wish I could have gotten that Hoth game. Stupid exclusive license agreements! (I know I might be able to get it through other means, but I don't quite want it THAT much, given the likely much higher expense involved.)
Mister Ed

Return to Licensed Themes