Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Marvel Reveals Plans For "Phase 2" @ SDCC

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Marvel Reveals Plans For "Phase 2" @ SDCC

Postby Staff » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Thor The Dark WorldCAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER logo | ©2012 Marvel Studios
Guardians Of The GalaxyAnt Man

In case you haven't heard already, the Marvel Studios panel laid out plans for phase 2 of their long-reaching Cinematic Universe. The titles for the previously announced Thor and Captain America sequels were welcome additions after the highly original Iron Man 3. Thor The Dark World and Captain America The Winter Soldier were certainly not the biggest news though as Kevin Feige confirmed the rumours of a Guardians Of The Galaxy movie and even brought the first piece of concept art from the movie to give fans an idea of the design direction for the space focused film.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Concept Art

If LEGO continues to make sets based on the MCU, these films could offer a lot of new material and Guardians alone has the potential for great space sets and very unique minifigs (Rocket Raccoon!). Most interestingly though, may have been Edgar Wright's inclusion in the panel, cementing the long in development Ant Man movie. Wright screened a test FX reel for the fans and while no formal announcement of release date or casting were made, I'm glad to see this movie is still on track and possibly included in the phase leading to the Avengers sequel. You can read more on Marvel.com and just about every other comic based site which are now frothing at the mouth, like ComicBookMovie.com who managed to get some shots of the newest suit in Tony Stark's closet. I've stuck Iron Man at the end of this post because I'm just not a fan of this look, I'm much more interested in the Iron Patriot suit and some other plot rumours floating around about the other films. *cough* Falcon *cough*

This new suit can be sumed up in the best comment I've seen thus far: "Too much mustard."
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/07/16/marvel-reveals-plans-for-phase-2-sdcc/
Staff

Re: Marvel Reveals Plans For

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:16 am

What do you have against Iron Man 3? Sure, the new suit looks a bit odd with all that pastel gold, but what's with the "highly original" comment? It's not like any of these movies are really original; they're all based on comics. And I don't think it will be very close to the Extremis story arc (if that's what you're referring to) since the movie's villain will be (SPOILER!) the Mandarin, not Mallen.
I for one am more excited for this movie than any of the others! Although Ant Man sounds promising too.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby onions » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:17 am

i think he might have meant that the title "iron man 3" doesn't invoke the same level as excitement as the other movie titles. like, captain america: the winter soldier is way better than just "captain america 2".

on another note, without jon favreau at the wheel for iron man 3, i have my doubts. iirc, he left the project due to the demands of the suits over at disney wanting to put more and more characters into the movie. i guess we'll just have to see.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:18 am

I've heard rumors that a lot of the extremis stuff was gonna make it into the flick. Especially Tony's suit.

Also does this mean the Falcon, and Rocket Raccoon will be on the big screen before a Justice League movie
crazybirdman

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:49 am

Ant Man? Seriously? Should be interesting.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby onions » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:22 am

Solo wrote:Ant Man? Seriously? Should be interesting.

inorite?

if my memory hasn't failed, henry pym is also giant man and the wasp, so there's a whole series of movies they could do around him. this movie, i'm hoping they don't take themselves too seriously.

and re: justice league. marvel is kicking dc's butt right now.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:33 am

Onions is right, I find it annoying and unoriginal when they simply number sequels with no other identifier in the TITLE. As for any other issue I have with Iron Man, I'm simply not a fan of the new suit, nor the Extremis storyline which all evidence points to the new movie being based on. Still going to see it though as even the weakest of the MCU movies (IR2, TIH) have still been entertaining. The issues Onions mentioned have worried me, but kudos to Favreau for bailing. I wish Raimi had had the sense to bail when the same issues arose in the process of making the also originally titled Spider-man 3.

As for rumours of Falcon and others, nothing would surprise me and we'll just have to wait a bit to see some casting news to piece it together. As for the Justice League movie, Marvel has basically just finished teaching a class on how to build a superhero ensemble film and somehow I still doubt DC was paying attention.
buriedbybricks

Postby Avenged110 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:54 pm

I like the new suit - it looks sleeker and cleaner. Not nearly as bulky as the Mark VII which I never really cared for, but I still miss the triangle chest piece. Getting really pumped for Iron Man 3 after that trailer and Ant Man - even though it's just a test reel - looks promising. His suit is very badass. Not quite sure about Guardians yet.
Avenged110

Postby Walter Boy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Not too keen on the suit either, although hopefully that's not the only suit we will see in the film. :)
Walter Boy

Postby onions » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:08 pm

definitely not feeling the mustard suit myself. tony stark needs more suitcase suits. that was my favorite suit out both movies. it was a suitcase for crying out loud!
onions
Founder
Founder

Return to Licensed Themes