Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

SDCC DC's Bizarro and Marvel's Phoenix Minifigs Revealed

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

SDCC DC's Bizarro and Marvel's Phoenix Minifigs Revealed

Postby Staff » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:54 am

SDCC DC Giveaway Bizzaro

Bizarro and Phoenix minifigs have been officially revealed. They will be part of a giveaway on Friday. To enter the chance to win these minifigs, you'll have to visit the LEGO booth on Friday starting at around 10 am. You'll have your badge scanned and you'll be placed into a pool. Badge scanning will stop sometime in the afternoon. After that, names will be randomly selected to win 1 of the four exclusive minifigs. The other two are Shazam! and Venom. There are 1,000 of each figure. And just to be extra clear on this point: these figures will NOT be available in any future set.

SDCC Marvel Giveaway - Phoenix

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/07/12/sdcc-dcs-bizarro-and-marvels-phoenix-minifigs-revealed/
Staff

Re: SDCC DC's Bizarro and Marvel's Phoenix Minifigs Revealed

Postby angriwooki » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:12 am

I'm both excited and disappointed by the news of them being exclusives. But more excited!
angriwooki

Postby yellowcastle » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:13 am

When you say "these" figures will never be available in future sets, is it safe to assume you mean these "specific" versions? I'd hate to think that we're never going to get a chance at a Green Lantern, Phoenix or Venom. :o)
yellowcastle

Postby unmovedmover » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:32 am

I stopped collecting Transformers because of exclusives like this. I hope Lego doesn't go the same route. I LIKE that Lego sets are relatively easy to find in the toy world.
unmovedmover

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:47 am

You can look at it two ways.

1. LEGO is removing characters from the potential lineup and making them exclusives for the sake of having exclusives.
2. LEGO is taking characters that will never fit into the lineup anyway and making them a limited available item where they otherwise wouldn't exist at all.

Either way, it looks darn-near impossible to get a full set of these even if you attend the whole weekend, and that's frustrating. 1000 of each at SDCC, where capacity is around 125,000 people, is super-limited. The way they're doing it is fair in the sense that scalpers won't walk away with all of them, but at the same time it'll be hard to get even one of each.

At NYCC last year, they had a small line of about 40 people at the booth, as the giveaway was not really public knowledge. These people (myself and friends included) circled through the line repeatedly, several times over the weekend to get a full set. I ended up with four pairs of Batman and Green Lantern (one for me, rest for friends). Even then, only one of my friends got a Superman (and she didn't let me have it :C). All that said, I can't imagine how hard it'll be to get these if it's a one-entry-per-person raffle. Best of luck to anyone trying.

Exclusives are fun to have, but frustrating to get if you're a completist. They say these minifigs will never be in sets, but that doesn't mean the characters won't. I can't imagine they'll never do another Venom, Spider-Man's most popular villain.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby deco_droid » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:01 am

don't worry -- the short answer is they can change the printing if they feel the demand is there later, and no one can complain. well, they'll still complain, but lego will have kept their promise. XD
deco_droid

Postby Tyrant » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:17 am

As someone who goes to GenCon every year, I like exclusives because I usually sell them to cover the cost of the Con. As a collector though they can be frustrating. I'm okay with variants being exclusives (so long as the variant that would obviously be quite popular isn't the exclusive, as has been the case with some things I collect) so long as the character/item in question is eventually available in some form to the public. With these figures, I can't see them not making another Venom or Jean Grey. They are too central to their respective franchises. Bizarro and Shazam are also quite likely (IMO) to get remade due to popularity. I just wish we would've gotten an Iron Man like the promo with the painted standard head instead of the helmet over the head like we ended up getting.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:41 am

yellowcastle wrote:When you say "these" figures will never be available in future sets, is it safe to assume you mean these "specific" versions? I'd hate to think that we're never going to get a chance at a Green Lantern, Phoenix or Venom. :o)
I'm going to assume it's the same deal as the Toy Fair Cap & Iron Man figures: that specific figure will never be in a set, but other versions are still possible.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Flynn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:33 am

I hope so, because I find it bothersome that one of only three female superheroes is apparently not even going to see the light of day as part of a LEGO set.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby NickBrick » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:20 am

This is really disappointing news. I am usually not one to complain but these popular characters, this close to the start of the line won't see future release?!?! Its just maddening. This is the first year that I have been interested in Lego exclusives. As a collector of other lines I have always at least had the option of ordering exclusives online after the Con (Hasbro) or having friends who are attending pick me up something. But these aren't even an option. And I never complain about using ebay as a last resort either because I paid a pretty penny for some Transformers (Game of Deception set) before but with as limited as these figures are the mark up is going to ridiculous. Hopefully someone will bring this up to them at the booth or panel. As collectors what else can we do?
NickBrick

Postby Drock » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:14 pm

The other two (from a CNN blog post)

Drock

Postby Coret » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:01 pm

See they can never release Phoenix and still have Jean Grey or Marvel Girl or Dark Phoenix and still keep their promise. Nothing wrong with it as long as you don't exclude the characters forever.

Also nobody can tell me it is Venom......it's Spiderman in his Symbiote suit. Venom has a mouth.....
Coret

Postby Brick_Obession » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:25 pm

And so it begins...

ebay.com/itm/Lego-Shazam-minifigure-mini-fig-San-Diego-comic-con-2012-dc-exclusive-/360473043938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53edde23e2

Where's Susan Powter when you need her?
"The future is a consequence of the present"
Brick_Obession

Postby DrunkenMonkey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Wow, that is absolutely nuts, $400. I would very much like to get this set, but would not in anyway consider $400 each. Heck the Toy Fair Captain America (Bucky) and Iron Man didn't even Ebay for this much when they first came about.

I sure do wish Lego would offer some kind of Multi-Pack with all 4 of these figures to Lego VIP members at the minimum. I think it would be pretty cool if they started offering exclusives to purchase via VIP points.
DrunkenMonkey

Postby LegoLawyer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:54 pm

I never thought I'd say this phrase, but I agree with the drunken monkey. :)

I like Bizarro and Shazam figs...I'm sure they'll be more popular with Lego Batman 2 being out there. Even if kids have never read the comics, they play the game.

I can't wait for them to release Green Lantern (or several different ones), and now there are those two exclusives.
LegoLawyer

Postby gomek » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Prices are down to a lowly $150 a figure, give or take.

Still makes me stick to line the pockets of convention goers that don't care about Lego and are only interested in having me pay for their convention. (Yes, I paid about that much which is why I'm so bent out of shape)
gomek

Return to Licensed Themes