Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes Review Round Up

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes Review Round Up

Postby Staff » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:45 am

LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes Xbox Box Art

In case you have haven't pre-ordered/ordered/bought LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes yet, I've compiled a list of reviews the game is receiving from various outlets. So far, it looks like TT Games and Warner Bros. Interactive have another hit on their hands.

Metro:

But as with any Lego game if in doubt just start smashing. And as mindless as the combat and destruction may be the collection of little Lego studs is as hypnotically addictive as always. And it may just be baby steps but this is a definite move forwards into a more expansive kind of Lego game, one in which it's possible to get lost for weeks and whose appeal is almost as broad as the toys on which it's based.

theguardian:

Lego Batman 2: DC Heroes isn't groundbreaking but it is consistently fun, and while it might not take top honours for best Batman game of all time (that belt is still held by Batman: Arkham City), it's easily the best Lego game we've seen in years.

CVG:

In the end, then, it's a Lego game as you've come to expect - not deep, demanding or particularly complex, but applying charm with Kryptonite effectiveness through dozens of fully playable, fully voiced superheroes and a puzzle-packed open world.

PSXExtreme:

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes is a step in the right direction for a series that was flirting with stagnation. With 50 available characters, a slew of corresponding skills and abilities, an open world that encourages exploration and discovery, a halfway decent story, and rock solid control, this one is quite the package. The camera can still be iffy, the execution of certain hero skills leaves something to be desired, and some of the puzzles are a little goofy, but beyond that… Bottom line is if you’ve enjoyed the LEGO games up to this point, you’re gonna live the latest.

GDN:

Despite attempts to update how the LEGO games play, LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes does somewhat fall into the trap of being more of the same experience we’ve already had with other licensed titles of this sort. When it comes to recommending this $50 USD release for purchase, I have to address two distinct crowds. If you’ve already had your fill of the LEGO formula or like your games to be very challenging, you can skip this since there is little here to really bring you back. Younger and less experienced players looking for relaxed entertainment will be well served however, and that crowd may want to look into this title.

IGN:

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes is a collector's paradise. You have to play through the game to get studs to unlock characters to go back to old levels and access different areas to collect more secrets. I polished off the story in about nine hours, but I spent the next 11 chasing down bricks and characters -- and I'm still not done. The open world stuff could use some tweaks, but the little stumbles don't stop LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes from being a great game.

gameinformer:

Traveller’s Tales took some chances with Lego Batman 2. The addition of spoken dialogue paid off well, and I hope it becomes a standard for all of this developer’s games moving forward. Transferring the classic Lego gameplay into a vast overworld is also a success, but the redundancy in secret solutions in this play space hurts the experience, almost turning it into a mundane collect-a-thon. Thankfully, the classic Lego gameplay dominates the main game, making Lego Batman 2 another goofy brick-building blast to play.

Ingame (MSNBC):

"Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes" brings back Batman and all his friends and enemies in a fantastic Lego game.

Digital Spy:

Despite feeling instantly familiar, LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes isn't just more of the same. It improves the core gameplay of the series, adds new features and characters, offers a long, engaging and well-presented story and swaps the hub area for a visually rich and fun-packed Gotham City to explore. There are issues that need addressing in the open world, but this is still the best LEGO game in the franchise so far.

You can purchase the game from Amazon for all current systems.

Drock lets us know that TRU stores are currently having a promotion. Buy the game and select one of four sets as a freebie.

Target is having a deal of their own. Buy the game and either the Batman or Joker ultrabuild sets and receive a free $10 gift card.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/06/21/lego-batman-2-dc-superheroes-review-round-up/
Staff

Re: LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes Review Round Up

Postby LEGOlas » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 am

At forty bucks for Wii, I'll consider it.
LEGOlas

Postby DarthBuilder » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:02 am

Getting this! The first LEGO Batman game was a lot of fun, I'd expect this to be an improvement.
DarthBuilder

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:05 am

Pre-ordered mine to get the 30164 Lex Luthor Warsuit polybag. It arrived yesterday -- had it shipped directly to avoid dealing with any local GameStop hassles -- and it's awesome.
Mars Needs LEGO

Postby batsamd » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:12 am

Mars Needs LEGO wrote:Pre-ordered mine to get the 30164 Lex Luthor Warsuit polybag. It arrived yesterday -- had it shipped directly to avoid dealing with any local GameStop hassles -- and it's awesome.

Had mine ship to store and was able to pick it up Tuesday. The clerk couldn't find my preorder using my phone so had to give her my name, took a little bit of time and two different computers but got my game and Lex.

The game is great, spent about 2 hours last night running around Gotham unlocking characters, gold bricks and 1 red brick because I couldn't figure out what to do to get to the next part of the story.

Played a little this morning and saw one of the hints say the next story objective is shown on the map with a big Batsymbol. Without a zoom in/zoom out function on map, didn't realize how big Gotham is and didn't see the Batsymbol when it was in the lower left and I was running around in the upper right area, D'OH!

Oh well, managed to unlock and buy a cop, Poison Ivy, Capt. Boomerang, some thugs, numerous gold bricks and the minikit detector.

Definitely need to find and buy a studs multiplier red brick soon, as well as someone that can fly.
batsamd

Postby mikado » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 pm

this game rocks but so far no villian storyline and the main story seems slightly short but the freeplay is awesome and luthors lab on wheels should be made into a kit along with the robot
mikado

Postby batsamd » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:08 am

mikado wrote:this game rocks but so far no villian storyline and the main story seems slightly short but the freeplay is awesome and luthors lab on wheels should be made into a kit along with the robot

Unfortunately, there is no villain story mode in this game, just the story mode, free play and roaming around Gotham.

I finished the story mode the other day, it did seem kind of short. Either that or I spent to many nights playing instead of sleeping. :)

Of course, now I'm working on trying to get all the red and gold bricks and fighting/buying the villains I've unlocked in Gotham City.

Realized the best thing to do is get a flying character and go around unlocking all the Batcave terminals first, then it shows a new villain to be bought as well as clearing up the "fog" on the map so you can scan and see the location of the red bricks. Superman works best because a lot of the terminals are locked by a gold lock that Superman can melt.

Lex Luthor is important to get the 8x and 10x stud multiplier, since he comes with the Decontructor gun and those red bricks are in shiny black boxes. Riddler and Joker are must haves because there are boxes only they can open to reveal red bricks.

Overall it's a fun game, I'm glad I picked it up and got the Lex minifig.
batsamd

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:19 am

Ugh, just ran into my first real glitch, and it will make 100% impossible. Hopefully quitting the game and coming back will fix it, but the target you have to stand on for one of the electic switches is displaced below it, in the middle of the scaffolding that holds it up. It won't register you standing on the platform above, in front of the switch, and you CAN'T get into the middle of the scaffolding, so that gold brick is totally unobtainable at this point. If I have to start over and HOPE this doesn't repeat, I'm going to be mighty annoyed...
Mister Ed

Postby Gooker1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29 am

Mister Ed wrote:Ugh, just ran into my first real glitch, and it will make 100% impossible. Hopefully quitting the game and coming back will fix it, but the target you have to stand on for one of the electic switches is displaced below it, in the middle of the scaffolding that holds it up. It won't register you standing on the platform above, in front of the switch, and you CAN'T get into the middle of the scaffolding, so that gold brick is totally unobtainable at this point. If I have to start over and HOPE this doesn't repeat, I'm going to be mighty annoyed...

That doesn't sound good at all, and hopefully they'll patch that. I don't see myself trying to get 100%, but i know a bunch of people who like to.
Gooker1

Postby zwolya » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Mister Ed wrote:Ugh, just ran into my first real glitch, and it will make 100% impossible. Hopefully quitting the game and coming back will fix it, but the target you have to stand on for one of the electic switches is displaced below it, in the middle of the scaffolding that holds it up. It won't register you standing on the platform above, in front of the switch, and you CAN'T get into the middle of the scaffolding, so that gold brick is totally unobtainable at this point. If I have to start over and HOPE this doesn't repeat, I'm going to be mighty annoyed...

I played the exact same part tonight, and I was able to get it by standing under/next to/in front of the scaffolding. Actually, I looked at it for a second and wondered how it was supposed to be originally, since it appeared that you needed the Sensor Suit to get up to the switch, but the Electric Suit to actually activate it...Hope this helps.
zwolya

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:02 am

I just beat the game last night. It's a load of fun! Is there a gallery in the game where you can view all the cut scenes?
Gooker1

Return to Licensed Themes