Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO LotR: Full Fellowship of the Ring Poster

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO LotR: Full Fellowship of the Ring Poster

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:12 am

Originally posted by Blogomatic3000! in a report from London's ToyFair 2012:
http://www.blogomatic3000.com/2012/01/24/toyfair-2012-lego-avengers-lego-lord-of-the-rings-and-universal-monsters/#.Tx662XLGBEO

Now the LotR line looks like it's starting to shape up! :D
Blue Squadron

Re: LEGO LotR: Full Fellowship of the Ring Poster

Postby Walter Boy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 am

They look amazing!

I love Merry and Pippin's expressions as well. Could instantly tell them apart. :)
Walter Boy

Postby majortom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:47 am

Oh, my!

I am so excited about this new line of sets! These figures encapsulate the characters perfectly; Frodo's sunken eyes, Boromir's bada**ery, Merry's mischievous grin, not to mention LEGO's representation of the one ring, well played LEGO.
My only qualms are Boromir's blue tunic , Gimli's blue tunic (I thought he wore scarlet in the movies? And Legolas doesn't seem to have a quiver (?), maybe it was a trade off for his long hair? But who am I kidding, these are awesome. I hope the actual brick built sets do these guys justice, although this new line has opened up a wealth of new MOC possibilities.
I doubt LEGO will release a set containing the whole fellowship, although I'm not sure whether this is something to complain about; I think I'll be buying a considerable proportion of the sets regardless!

Can't wait to see the rest of Middle Earth's inhabitants, especially Gollum.
majortom

Postby Andi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:33 am

I didn't realize that the Hobbits have all the same hair style? ;-)
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby bigospedros » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:41 am

I was at the Toy Fair today on behalf of FBTB. Pictures weren't allowed apart from the outside of the stand such as the ones you saw. I'll be able to write up some detail later when I get home. It was all a bit of a blur but what I can say now is that the Star Wars and LOTR sets were amazing. The minifigs are awesome! Queen Amidala, Salacious Crumb, Jabba, Boushh ... Top top figs

The Marvel sets were all very cool and my fears over Ironmans head are unfounded. It looked great in the flesh, especially when I realised the front of the helmet flips up! Hulk was cool as was Thor and Captain America.

It'll be a few hours till I'm home so if you post questions I'll answer when I get home.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Gooker1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:55 am

bigospedros wrote:I was at the Toy Fair today on behalf of FBTB. Pictures weren't allowed apart from the outside of the stand such as the ones you saw. I'll be able to write up some detail later when I get home. It was all a bit of a blur but what I can say now is that the Star Wars and LOTR sets were amazing. The minifigs are awesome! Queen Amidala, Salacious Crumb, Jabba, Boushh ... Top top figs

The Marvel sets were all very cool and my fears over Ironmans head are unfounded. It looked great in the flesh, especially when I realised the front of the helmet flips up! Hulk was cool as was Thor and Captain America.

It'll be a few hours till I'm home so if you post questions I'll answer when I get home.

What a tease!! But a great tease it is...can't wait to see the photos of all those glorious sets!!! Those three lines are going to break me this year!
Gooker1

Postby bigospedros » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 am

*ignore this post, was having issues!*
Last edited by bigospedros on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby bigospedros » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:57 am

I can't post pictures of the sets as we weren't allowed to take any. I did get to see and handle them though so can answer questions if I don't cover the point in my write up, which will come later

Some important points for now
- Ironman's helmet is hinged at the top on the front, so can flip up to reveal one of the double sided head faces
- There is a Thor fig
- The new horses for the LOTR Ringwraiths have hinged back legs
- The Jabba Palace set is not massive but does have a ton of play features (pit, moving platform, door with pop out eye thing) and the figs are amazing. Printed Jabba is a vast improvement
- The LOTR ring is a chromed ring that fits neatly onto the hand of a fig

There's much more to tell, but all I have is a mobile connection and an iPhone so going into much more detail is hard
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby scandell » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Are those smaller lego heads on those hobbits?
scandell

Postby cas » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:33 pm

scandell wrote:Are those smaller lego heads on those hobbits?

No, it looks like they're scaled down to appear smaller in respect to the regular figures.

I also noticed this theme is a swimming pool, a sea really, of testosterone. No female representation at all? They could've included at least one. I don't care who, but somebody.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Morgan19 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 pm

cas wrote:I also noticed this theme is a swimming pool, a sea really, of testosterone. No female representation at all? They could've included at least one. I don't care who, but somebody.

While a guy-heavy shot of the Fellowship makes sense (given that that's what it is), I'd posted a similar "females, please!" sentiment on Flickr and was surprised at how few LotR ladies I could think of off the top of my head... Arwen, Galadriel, Eowyn, and...? Given how few there are in the source material already, I'm really hoping LEGO doesn't go the route of SW and short-change the female characters, or wait 13 years to make them (*cough* Amidala *cough*).

m19
Morgan19

Postby cas » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:09 pm

I suppose given the potential the line has, I shouldn't complain yet, there's always next year (but I can't see any females turning up in the Hobbit sets either). I certainly can't blame TLG, since
Morgan19 wrote:how few there are in the source material already

This has to be the first major theme in a long time, licensed or otherwise, not to include at least one female. I guess all the ladies got stuck in the other themes (the Summer Star Wars sets includes a record number (5) of female figures!).
Last edited by cas on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby BuffyFanForever » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:30 pm

*sigh* I love them especially the LOTR. I guess I should just hand Lego my wallet. There way to much Lego this year I am not gonna be able to pass on.
BuffyFanForever

Postby zwolya » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Hobbit hair is win, but much like the original Harry Potter theme, I'm having trouble seeing how any of the figs' faces/bodies could be used for anything other than the characters they're supposed to be. I guess that means that they really did their research and got the look spot-on, but I'm always looking to expand my generic flesh-faced library, and after PotC that did just that...
zwolya

Postby plebeianprint » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:13 pm

If only all of the hobbits shirts had no flesh exposed at the top, as they're excellent (I'm still pro-yellow). I really like the hair mold for them, as well, and don't mind that they're all similar. Some day I'd really enjoy a short leg that is articulated, too. they've been used more and more frequently with each new year.
plebeianprint

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:03 pm

I'm a *big* LotR fan from loooooong before the advent of the movies so this is all huge news for me - and will inevitably be expensive... :facepalm: XD

I agree that there are likely to be few female figs from this series - but then that's always been a major criticism of the trilogy anyway. At best we'll get Galadriel, Arwen and Eowyn - and she, at least, may come in two versions: dress and armour. That's probably about it though.

With regard to Boromir's blue coat: the original costume from the movies was a sort of dark blue-grey gunmetal colour, although much of the time it appeared almost black on-screen. Lego don't currently have a colour that even comes close to this; they could possibly have gone with plain black (or dark blue-grey) but I suspect they chose to compromise and use dark blue because they're trying to give each of the "hero" Fellowship minifigs a distinctive "look" that also makes them easily recognisable from all the multitude of bad-guys in black with black cloaks...! It also adds a little colour to the Fellowship as a whole - which perhaps is intended to help appeal to the wider (non-fan!!) market of kids out there. Personally, I think I can probably live with it...

Gimli's arms look to be dark blue-grey to me - which would fit with the armour he wore for most of the movies.

Overall, these minifigs are pretty amazing representations of the characters as portrayed in the movies (specifically, TFotR in this case). The designs are beautifully put together and the Ring itself is cleverly done. Like the Star Wars minifigs, there will inevitably be *some* compromises in terms of colour and functionality but so far this is all very, very promising! I suspect that the Legolas hair-piece +/- quiver will be one of those compromises: what we see here looks much more like the finished minifig than the slightly stylised CG version used for the "poster." The only other thing I'm not 100% on is Gandalf's new beard piece: given the level of detail on the other figs, it would have been nice to see his mouth and I'm not keen on the way it seems to cut off "flat" at the sides, rather than rising up to meet his hat. I wonder if there'll be a hair-piece for Gandalf or if they'll do what they did for Dumbledore?
Blue Squadron

Postby Blacknight » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:56 pm

The back four all look good, especially Boromir, though why Lego thinks it is necessary to draw jaw lines on all modern figures escapes me. It was okay for Tarkin who's defining characteristic was his jaw bone, but on these and a lot of other recent figs, especially Clone Wars Anakin, it just looks weird.

In terms of the Hobbits, I think they nailed the look of Merry, Pippin is so-so in terms of the face but Frodo and especially Sam are a bit off the mark in terms of likeness. Sam would probably have looked better with the young Anakin hair. And Frodo should have a darker shade of brown hair and a more weary expression.
Blacknight

Boromir colour scheme

Postby Blue Squadron » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Reading some of the comments made in other fora and looking at the pics available, it would seem that Boromir's arms on both the minifig on display and the box art are actually dark red - which would be a reasonable approximation of the movie costume worn by Sean Bean. This would also fit with the dark red detailing that appears on the printing on the front of the minifig torso (upper outer edges, kinda where the sleeve-holes should be). This sounds likely to be correct to me. So, just a small error by the CG guys putting together the posters for ToyFair...? :facepalm:

It has also beeen pointed out that Boromir wore black leather gloves for much of the journey of the Fellowship - but swapping in black hands would be a pretty easy update if he does come with light flesh hands. :D
Blue Squadron

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Blacknight wrote: ...but Frodo and especially Sam are a bit off the mark in terms of likeness.

I have to agree. Frodo is OK, though I agree the hair should be darker, but Sam is pretty much unrecognizeable, IMHO. The hair IS wrong. Frodo's hair looks wrong, too, even aside from the color, but it is serviceable, and understandable that they would want to use the same mold if it was close enough, but somehow on Sam it looks totally off to me.
Mister Ed

Return to Licensed Themes