Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Super Heroes 2012 Set Images Surface

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: Super Heroes 2012 Set Images Surface

Postby bigospedros » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:30 am

Just saw this on another forum ... interesting. Iron Man's head still seems a bit on the large side, but Wolverine seems to get entirely new claw hands, which look pretty cool.

Not sure of the source, leaked or not, otherwise I'd front page this.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:55 am

Looking at the edge of the cover on the right, Id say this is the source and that means you're pretty safe to post:

I'm very surprised that these sets are supposed to land in 3 months and we haven't seen anything. Disney must have these locked up in the vault because Marvel can't/won't keep anything under wraps.

Well, there was the one guys death...
buriedbybricks

Postby Walter Boy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:21 am

Out of the four shown, Captain America might be my favorite.

And Iron Man's helmet makes him look like a bobble head. :shock:
Walter Boy

Postby Gooker1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 am

I still like Ironman's helmet! I just hope they kept the feature where the gold part of the mask lifts up!!
Gooker1

Postby emmtwosix » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 am

Yeah, I feel like they could have made an "armor" piece that slid over the torso that would have offset the bobble head appearance...but then we'd probly be complaining that the arms and legs looked small. Oh well. It looks like Iron Man went to the fair and got a caricature of himself ;)
emmtwosix

Postby bouchj45 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Everyone keeps complaining about Iron Man's helmet but look at Batman's cowl, it is oversized and still looks cool. lets just wait and see what happens and how it looks up close.
bouchj45

Postby cas » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:06 pm

By itself, the Iron Man's helmet does look fine, and so does Batman's cowl. It's only when you pair it with the minifig things go horribly awry.
Gooker1 wrote:I still like Ironman's helmet! I just hope they kept the feature where the gold part of the mask lifts up!!

That said, I still like it as well and look forward to having an Iron Man minifig. If there is a strong reason for the size of the helmet, if it opens, then it's not that big a deal.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby plebeianprint » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:07 pm

bouchj45 wrote:Everyone keeps complaining about Iron Man's helmet but look at Batman's cowl, it is oversized and still looks cool. lets just wait and see what happens and how it looks up close.

Thank you. I was an Iron Man mask hater, and yet totally okay with Batman's cowl. Your insight helped to bring me back towards acceptance. Have any thoughts that could make me not cringe at the sight of the Hulk?
plebeianprint

Postby Qzak » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:31 pm

Found this picture on Brickshelf, probably the prototypes, but Iron Man still has that bobble head in the latest pick.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/NavyTrooperFenson/stuff/marvel.jpg
Qzak

Postby GIR3691 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:09 am

The problem with Iron Man's helmet is that it is too human face-like. Unlike Stormtrooper helmets and the like, Iron Man's helmet is very human-like in shape. They should REALLY have gone cylindrical rather than giving it sculpted cheekbones and a pronounced forehead. Batman's cowl works because it is stylized enough to look like LEGO. Note how his cowl is cylindrical and does not taper down to the neck, leaving it faithful to the shape of a LEGO head. It's almost the same shape as a regular motorcycle helmet, but with just enough detail to be distinctly Batman.

With Iron Man, it's odd when LEGO tries to make things too realistic. It just looks wrong, and doesn't jive with the aesthetic LEGO has created in its general style.

*Cough*

It reminds me of the Ebay auctions I used to see all the time where "custom" minifigures had 3.75" action figure heads slapped on them. It looks awful. Creepy and distinctly not LEGO-style. I am severely disappointed with how awful the Iron Man minifigure is.

I'd much have preferred something like this, compared to an over-sized and over-sculped abomination.

I'll definitely be displaying my Iron Man as Tony Stark in the suit, sans helmet.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby darth_fett » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:16 am

So Wolvie's claws are just going to be the metal bits grafted onto his arms with no fists? Granted it worked for the boxer Collectible minifig (until he hung up his mitts) but ehhh. I think i preferred the prototype's version. I'll hold judgement on Iron Man's helm until i see the fig but so far, not impressed.
I can't wait to pick up some new batman stuff tho, was never able to get the old ones due to living out of a motel when they came out. I'll finally have a catwoman, but i want a penguin too! Wak wak!
darth_fett

Postby brickster90 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:19 am

I think Wolvie's claws are a VAST improvement over the first few pics we saw, which were just Wolverine holding Hassanssin claws (from PoP). Granted, I would love hands that grab things AND had claws, but what we have here is better than him just holding claws.
brickster90

Postby scandell » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 am

Hey GIR3691,

How does C3P0's head fit into this conversation? I agree with you on all counts on batman and ironman, I just wanted to you know if thought C3P0 was also a missed opportunity for a more lego-ish style solution?

Sometimes in a lineup with other minifigs, I hate the way C3P0 looks...other times it doesn't offend me.
scandell

Postby GIR3691 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:29 pm

I totally forgot about C-3PO, but yeah, he's another one. Same goes for Yoda, the Harry potter trolls, and all the molded Jedi heads we've gotten.

Image Image

Kit Fisto suffers from creepy head, while Aayla Secura was done just right. To different approaches at doing tentacle-covered heads, but doing it as two pieces allows more options. You can remove the hairpiece and use her as Cortana from Halo, or a mermaid, or... a different blue alien.

Iron Man is different, of course, as his problem resides in his helmet rather than his head. But it's weird how LEGO designs certain figures with "action figure head syndrome."

As far as Wolverine's claws, it looks to be like the Prince of Persia claws, which had pin connections to fit into minifig hands. I think they're removable, but are angled toward the camera and are hiding the hands beneath.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby brickster90 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:49 pm

GIR3691 wrote:As far as Wolverine's claws, it looks to be like the Prince of Persia claws, which had pin connections to fit into minifig hands. I think they're removable, but are angled toward the camera and are hiding the hands beneath.

Just looked at that... very possible, but still better than just Hassansin claws. That way, he can be holding something in one hand AND slicing it with the other. XD
brickster90

Postby Mr.Voltron » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Captain America looks pretty rad.. I think he is my fav of this picture
Mr.Voltron

Postby darth_fett » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Also, is it me or does Wolvie look like he has 2 very different claw styles? His left hand looks like it might be a modified Hassanssin claw thats held, while the right claw appears to be directly attached to his arm without any sign of the "webbing" between the claws. Maybe he comes with 2 different style claws & they just want to showcase both? Kinda like they did with Finn McMissile's headlights? Show the 1x1 clear brick & 1x1 round tile & having extra parts for synchronicity. Maybe i'm just overthinking it, but if they directly connect to his arm i hope they dont shortchange us regular hands for him. Kinda like how jetpack batman doesn't come with a cloth cape.
darth_fett

Postby Joedward » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:34 am

I think we're just seeing one viewed from the top and one from the bottom.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:34 pm

From the SDCC pictures it looks like separate pieces, which I'm hoping they stuck with for the final release. Much more versatile as they could be used for accents and greebles and such.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby etcknight » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm not too impressed with these designs. These mini-figs are starting to look a little to Mega-blok-ish and cartoon like for my tastes. Give me vintage Lego styling any day. Lego was classic for it's immediately recognizable style and quality products.
etcknight

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes