Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Cars 2 Sets Exposed!

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Cars 2 Sets Exposed!

Postby Staff » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:25 pm

8677 Ultimate Build Mater

In the wake of Toy Fair, I just received these clean images of the Cars 2 sets including clearer pictures of Spy Jet Escape and Flo's V8 Cafe. No pics of the Big Bentley Playset but there are some newcomers in the form of Ultimate Build Mater and Tokyo International Circuit.

8638 Spy Jet Escape 8487 Flo's V8 Cafe 8486 Mack's Team Truck 8679 Tokyo International Circuit 8423 World Grand Prix Racing Rivalry 8206 Tokyo Pitstop

In addition to the above sets, Take5ADay.com also lists an Ultimate Build Franceso. Hit the image for more:

More details to come.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/02/16/cars-2-sets-exposed/
Staff

Re: Cars 2 Sets Exposed!

Postby Morgan19 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:31 pm

That red dome with eyes on it, in the "minifig"-scale formula 1 racecar... Looks like an R2 piece? Could make for some interesting goofy droids. :D

m19
Morgan19

Postby Chief » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Heh. Or people hiding inside trashcans. Oh wait, just like the droids :P
Chief

Postby meeotch » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:48 pm

I was thinking the same thing about the dome! And is that Sand Green cheese on Luigi?
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby cas » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm totally getting Jet Spy Escape. The James Bond fan inside me is going nuts. The reference design of the Aston Martin DB5 is too much for me to resist. I suppose this is the absolute closest I will every have to official James Bond Lego, so thanks Pixar, and thanks Lego!
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Bellicose » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Spy jet escape looks good enough if only for the airplane! That's why I'd get it, would look nice with other City airport stuff. I do wish Lego would make more/better wing shapes, instead of having to stack wing parts like a sculpture to get something besides a triangle shape.
Bellicose

Postby Gobi-1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Man I thought Toy Story LEGOs were awesome but I think Cars is even better. Are there any photos of LEGO Finn McMissile out there?
Gobi-1

Postby cas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Finn McMissile is the blue and white car in Spy Jet Escape as seen in this pic. I'm not sure why he's colored that way. I thought he was supposed to be a bluish gray, but he could have different appearances, I guess.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby majortom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:54 am

I didn't think Cars was the most popular pixar movie, but it grossed higher than WALL-E, ranking seventh of the eleven films they've produced (and still producing millions of dollars). This surprised me and I was going to question how popular these Lego sets would be. Looking at the stats, however it seems that the most recent pixar movies seem to be the most popular, so perhaps Lego are indeed on to a winner...
But how do you think these sets will fare on the market? There isn't that bad a selection of parts there, so I can appreciate the appeal to AFOLs, along with the sheer awesomness of Pixar behind them. Then there's the appeal to kids simply because its a new pixar movie, although I still question its popularity amongst the younger generation.
majortom

Postby meeotch » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:00 pm

I think this line is practically guaranteed to rake in the money, and it isn't just because there are some beautiful sets. The original Cars movie came out in 06. I worked at Target from Thanksgiving 07 to Thanksgiving 09, so that is when I really noticed this, but it still holds true here in 2011. There was a ton of Cars merchandise during the time I worked there at Target. I'm not just talking about the Hot Wheels-style toy cars, but there were things like bedsheet sets, stuffed animals, heck, we bought my son Lightening McQueen slippers 6 months ago, well before the groundswell for Cars 2 began. In a big box retailer, cash is king, and if merchandise isn't moving, it doesn't get carried anymore, so the fact that Cars stuff was still at Target in a large way 4 years after the movie is really saying something. I don't go to Target too often, but I know that the last time I was there, there wasn't anywhere near a comparable amount of merch for Toy Story 3 still there, and that movie's, what, 8 months old by this point?
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Gobi-1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:25 am

cas wrote:Finn McMissile is the blue and white car in Spy Jet Escape as seen in this pic. I'm not sure why he's colored that way. I thought he was supposed to be a bluish gray, but he could have different appearances, I guess.

At first I thought it was a police car, blue and white, light bar on top, but now I see Finn's mustache/grill. Maybe he disguises himself as a cop car to escape? If so I hope he can also be built in his normal appearance.
Gobi-1

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:41 am

I'd have to agree with meeotch, this could be a big cash cow for LEGO and Pixar. I work at a Walmart for the time being and Cars still has a huge presence with a third of an aisle dedicated to the die cast and similar toys and other little bunches littered around. This is not a recent development either as It's been like that since I started over a year and a half ago. As far as I can tell there's no more cars merch now than when I started, but I'm sure that will change soon.
Toy Story on the other hand popped up huge a few months before the movie and almost all of those products sat until christmas or most recently and went on deep discounts. That includes LEGO, the two sets that went well in my city were the army men and RC sets, then Walmart did something I've never seen before they discounted all of the Toy Story sets BEFORE christmas! There's been plenty of clearance since then as always, but that was new to me and quite welcome as I was even able to get a large chunk of sets to put away for when my son's older. Even marked down to $5-10 for some sets there are still some lingering around. My local TRU still has all the sets at full price and has barely sold any since they got them.
I'm hoping since LEGO has always maintained that their vehicles are the best sellers, that Cars will be a popular line. If not I will enjoy the clearance next winter!
buriedbybricks

Return to Licensed Themes