Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Dark Knight Rises: villains casting confirmed!

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

The Dark Knight Rises: villains casting confirmed!

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

I hope this deserves its own thread.

The word is out, and straight from the horse's mouth, confirming the two major villains who will appear in The Dark Knight Rises, Christopher Nolan's hotly anticipated sequel to The Dark Knight. A happy coincidence, considering I was just writing up my thoughts on the Batman movies thus far.

Official Press Statement:

"Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle in Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight Rises.” She will be starring alongside Christian Bale, who returns in the title role of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Christopher Nolan stated, “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story.”

In addition, Tom Hardy has been set to play Bane. Nolan said, “I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman’s most formidable enemies.” Nolan will direct the film from a screenplay he wrote with Jonathan Nolan, from a story by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer. Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner, Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven. “The Dark Knight Rises” is slated for release on July 20, 2012. The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company."

Wow, I was completely not expecting that at all. I really have wanted to see how Chris Nolan would interpret Bane, and I'm glad that we're getting a Catwoman - it isn't really Batman unless his relationship with Catwoman is explored. Tom Hardy is a good actor, but I've always thought of Bane as Hispanic, and I'm not so sure how they are going to achieved the "pumped-full-of-steroids" look for Bane - a CGI effect ala the Incredible Hulk is probably how they'll go, if not Hardy will be a more realistically-proportioned Bane.

Anne Hathaway certainly isn't the name that immediately comes to mind when someone says "Catwoman" - I've always been rooting for Stana Katic, Moon Bloodgood, Rhona Mitra - maybe even Marion Cotillard, after her performance in Inception as Mal. Hathaway really looks a good deal too sweet to play the dangerously seductive femme fatale, but she's proven she has a much wider range beyond a modern-day Disney princess.

I've gotta say, I'm really excited to see how both characters will look in-costume. The expectations are piling higher than ever now, but I'm confident Chris Nolan will pull through!

http://movies.ign.com/articles/114/1144798p1.html
http://themovieandme.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -news.html
Jedd the Jedi

Re: The Dark Knight Rises: villains casting confirmed!

Postby Marty » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:15 am

Hope this means that the people at Lego will get their act together and either produce sets for this new movie or re-release the old ones as this theme has been seriously let down by them. An given the amount of interest shown on the web of late, I'm not the only one.
Marty

Postby HoboBob1138 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:45 am

Actually I like Hathaway as Catwoman. I think she's a great actor and will be able to pull this off.
No matter the distance, no matter how far
HoboBob1138

Postby Joedward » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:02 am

I'm really on the fence regarding Hathaway. To me she just doesn't seem to suit the role. But on the other hand, people who initially though Ledger would make a decent Joker were few and far between, so for now I'm holding back all judgements until I see set photos or the actual film.

And to all those who aren't sure about Tom Hardy, and how they'll make him look, I would strongly recommend watching Bronson, or googling it at the very least. A great film, and the guy is ripped to hell. He managed to bulk up in 5 weeks to a point were he is almost completely unrecognisable. Also, I thought Bane was south American, not Mexican.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Draykov » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 am

Personally, I think Hathaway is a good choice...she's got that pent up sex-bomb (who possibly loves kitties) thing going for her which I think would serve the character well...and remember, as someone pointed out to me, the press release said she's cast as Selina Kyle (not necessarily full blown Catwoman).

I remember thinking "Heath Ledger? As the Joker?" and that turned out to be a phenomenal performance.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby PixarGuy94 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:39 am

At first I was unsure about Hathaway as Catwoman, but I thought about it, and I think she might be able to pull it off.

As for Bane, I personally hope they don't go for the giant, overly-ripped, hulk-like Bane like in a lot of the comics.Simply because I think that would look really out of place in Nolan's more "realistic" universe.I'm hoping he'll have a similar build to Hardy's role in "Bronson", but still be really intelligent like in the comics.I'm also interested as to how they'll set up the character.Perhaps he will be some kind of mercenary or bounty hunter.
PixarGuy94

Postby MisterFubar » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Draykov wrote: I remember thinking "Heath Ledger? As the Joker?" and that turned out to be a phenomenal performance.

I don't think he'll ever be able to top that performance.
MisterFubar

Postby Chief » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:14 pm

I just saw "Get Smart" for the first time last night. I completely buy Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. Meeeeeow!
Chief

Postby cas » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:28 pm

I just saw "Love and Other Drugs" the other night. I'd completely buy Anne Hathaway.

Uh, I'm such a terrible person. I'm going to go away now and watch Batman Lego prices on eBay.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Nezumiiro » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:37 pm

Yeah, Hardy in Bronson sold the whole Bane thing for me.
The Commemorative Text-Based Rage Gage
███████████████████████████████
(P.S. Read my BLOG)
Nezumiiro

Return to Licensed Themes