Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Harry Potter 10217 Diagon Alley Exclusive

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: LEGO Harry Potter 10217 Diagon Alley Exclusive

Postby nagauthier » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:39 am

I'm actually afraid that price might be a typo. $150 for a set with over 2000 pieces is an insanely low price per brick. $200+ would be more in line with average prices.
nagauthier

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:05 am

nagauthier wrote:I'm actually afraid that price might be a typo. $150 for a set with over 2000 pieces is an insanely low price per brick. $200+ would be more in line with average prices.

I don't think they would do that in their press release. :S
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Marty » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Nice, very nice set, I think this time the Harry Potter has been done right, the figures & birds are well detailed and the sets themselves have more play appeal. All I can hope for is this is not the last set of the theme, as one of the more interesting movies to this theme, had to be the tri-wizards tournament and they never made the cup, or the last trial.
Also the chamber of secrets, the original set was very cheesy and one of the main characters was missing, moaning Myrtle, it was like Lego didn't put the effort in, like they have with these ones.
It also seems like they trying to push through as many of the movies in a short space of time. This is probably because there are only two movies left, but I think these will be very popular the more it comes to releasing the movie. Usually the TV stations help, by putting on all the other movies around the same time.
Just don't forget the Dersleys or Hagrids motorcycle?
Marty

Postby Jargon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:08 pm

The $150 price point was verbally confirmed multiple times at Brickcon.
Jargon

Postby Joedward » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:10 am

It is indeed awesome up close.

And for anyone who cares, those columns on Gringots are made from corrugated 2x2 round bricks.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Marty » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:12 am

Regarding the new round brick piece, yes we noticed, me thinks a Greek UCS temple or theme is just around the corner?
Think about it?
Marty

Postby Jargon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:49 am

Preliminary pictures show them in the next wave of Atlantis sets.
Jargon

Postby Gumby » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:25 pm

This is like a medieval market village, but for Harry Potter!
Gumby

Postby Blue Squadron » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Oh gorram.

As much as I like the sets this time around, I was kinda thinking of avoiding the HP releases (pure financial reasons) but, having seen this one, I'm very seriously re-considering that position. Although they don't cover *everything* in the HP world, this year's sets now actually provide *most* of the key scenes from the stories: Hogwarts Castle, Hogwarts Express, Hagrid's Hut and Diagon Alley feature in all the books and The Burrow is in all of the later books - and the sets include minifigs for pretty much all the essential major characters too (and for everyone else, there's always Bricklink!).

Obviously, if I get these now then they can go into storage for my kids to play with when they're bigger and ready for standard Lego rather than Duplo - and once they're old enough to appreciate the HP books too... XD

Ahem.

I wonder if my wife will go for that...?! :facepalm: :lol:
Blue Squadron

Postby Aharown » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:50 pm

TheBohrok wrote:
onions wrote:
MisterFubar wrote:Am I the only one who has never read any of the books or seen any of the movies?

Anyway, that really does look like a pretty cool set, even if the characters are completely unknown to me.

meekly i raise my hand.

Add me to the group as well. Still, that doesn't diminish how cool of a set this is. Those new fluted round bricks work just wonderfully for those ionic columns on the bank. I wish I could just buy that part of the set.

Ditto for me, too. This is a beautiful set, even though I won't be getting it.

The new columns and the painted owls are quite nice.
<><
Aharown

Postby Voice of Reason » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:08 pm

It is available on USA shop at home now, but on backorder already! Although I bet they ship sooner than the posted Jan. 11 date.
Voice of Reason

Postby drew724 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:22 am

I'm driving to Cincinnati this morning from Louisville to get mine. I called yesterday and they are in stock, but the Lego employee said to expect a line. I'm going to get there when the store opens, so I hope they don't run out!
drew724

Postby drew724 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:44 am

I got one! I got to the Kenwood Towne Center Mall in Cincinnati at 9am, it opens at 10. My son and I were first, and by 10 there were 25-30 people in line trying to get Diagon Alley. The store only got 7 in, so many were disappointed. But we got ours, I can't wait to put the set together!
drew724

Postby Voice of Reason » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm happy there is such a demand for them! It is a great set and LEGO deserves to be rewarded with such a successful set design. Of course, it is disappointing that there is not enough to go around right now but that will change over time.
Voice of Reason

Postby banthafodder » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Hopefully this bodes well for the larger, more detailed playsets that have a higher price point. Maybe we will see some more in other licensed lines **cough geonosian arena cough cough**
banthafodder

Postby MicroJow » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm also happy this appears to be selling quite well. Especially is it means Lego releasing a few more exclusive Harry Potter sets. Still gotta get some official Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws, dangit!

I started putting this set together last night but only got through Ollivander's and half of Borgin & Burke's. Whoever designed these did a great job, I'm really enjoying them. My only complaint would be that I wish all three of the buildings had backs and could close up.

On the plus side, tho, the instructions and sticker sheet came in a plastic bag, backed with a stiff piece of cardboard. No bent or missing stickers! Hurrah!

- J
MicroJow

Postby BuffyFanForever » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Well after checking the lego store in Columbus Ohio twice. I finally gave up and ordered it online. I can't wait to get mine.
BuffyFanForever

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes