Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lord of the Rings Legos.

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Lord of the Rings Legos.

Postby CoR3Bu » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:39 pm

Hello fellow Bothans, I was wondering are any of you LOTR fans?
I've been wondering if Lego would ever make LOTR Legos, but I've come
to the conclusion that they probably won't make them because there too violent.
But lately I've noticed that the new Castle sets look quite like LOTR, for instance, the
dwarve's mine looks like it could be the the Mines of Moria or the King's Castle Seige could
be Minas Tirith! :) So I've started buying some Castle sets. In some way, part of me doesn't want LOTR Legos though,
because my wallet would be suffering :| Have any of you guys noticed that the new Castle sets look
like LOTR?

Colonel Reaginal Bulstrode, to attention men! >:(
CoR3Bu

Re: Lord of the Rings Legos.

Postby onions » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:59 pm

Lord of the Rings, World of Warcraft, Dungeons & Dragons, anyone can interpret the current Castle line as any other fantasy realm really.

IIRC, Megablocks had the rights to make LOTR sets, and i'm pretty sure they stunk to high heaven. Very little building involved, if anything. Besides, LEGO seems to pursue licenses of current or future trends.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby meeotch » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:15 pm

I think a big problem would also be that the LOTR franchise isn't really whimsical enough to gel with the culture that Lego seems to have created for itself. All of the liscences have a certain kiddishness to them. This even goes for Batman, where, barring the current (Christian Bale) movies, there was a bit more of lightheartedness to the franchise, at least insofar as the majority (read: non-comic-book-reading) of the population knows, from the old 60's TV show up to the last non-Bale movie. Although I have to say, I'd LOVE to see a Gollum minifig!
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Azaghal » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:11 pm

meeotch wrote: I'd LOVE to see a Gollum minifig!

:lol:
Azaghal

Postby SkwerlJones » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:18 pm

That's the problem with Lego making a Gollum, they can't really get the look exact. I mean, how are they supposed to make a minifig that looks as skinny as the once-Hobbit and can hunch? Now if they make a new mold, that's another story entirely. I would buy whatever that set was in a heart beat.

Who else would die if they came out with a Mines of Moria set with a Balrog? And I'm talkin' bout a huge monster, not some small, Power Miners rock king or whatever that was. Then, every nerd could take his little Gandalf and whisper "Thou shall not pass!", before making the bridge fall apart with whatever mechanism was in the set. I know Collin would wet hiself. ;)
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Postby onions » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:23 am

they could just re use the monkey with pale flesh color anda new head. bam! insta-gollum.

too bad we'll never see that happen.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby JPCJedi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:28 pm

Oh, I think they'd make the monkey with a different head or head attachment as Gollum. But yes, Tolkien licensing doesn't seem feasible for LEGO, for several reasons. First it's probably a blasted expensive license, and second LEGO can accomplish all the same things by releasing the coat-tails-riding lineup that's out today. The current castle line is very reminiscent of LOTR, but it does so without needing the license.

And we can make custom Frodos any time we want.
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:47 pm

JPCJedi stole my point. The Castle line is LOTR without the license. Lego gets more money that way and satisfies Classic castle fans and somewhat satisfies LOTR fans by bringing in Dwarves and orcs and eventually elves.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Jake » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:57 am

There's always the upcoming "The Hobbit" film(s). More kid-friendly, but even so I can't see LEGO taking it. It might be fun though...
Jake

Postby dakdogba » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:49 pm

the could do what they did with the disney licence to tie into the hobbit. it would mix well with casltle sets. here are a few ideas.
battlebacks
gondor. 6 warriors of minas tirith with swords/ bows/ spears
rohan, 4 soldiers with swords +2 riders of rohan
isenguard 5 uruk-hai swords/ crossbows +1 beserker
mordor 6orcs +troll
moria 6 goblins + cave troll
shire 6 hobbits
fellowship

fotr
balins tomb fellowship, room 10 goblins, cave troll
kazad dum broken stairway, bridge(colapsable), fellowship, goblins balrog
amon hen 2 small sets, fall of boromir (merry pipin boromir uruks, lutz+ trees) and aragorn, legolas, gimli uruks seeing seat
lothlorien
revendell

ttt
defend the village rohan soldiers, riders house uruks wargs
edoras
defend the breachhelms deep deeping wall, the3 haldir rohan elves uruks blow up wall
defend the gate theoden, gamling rohan, uruks gate

rotk
osgiliath
siege tower
gondor wall section (soldiers, orcs trebuchet siege tower
defend the gate (with gandalf)
blak gate
mount doom
hobbit
troll pass bilbo dwarfs gandalf
elves cave
erebor + smaug
ucs
rivendell, helms deep, minas tirith, black gate, barad dur orthanc
UCS BALROG!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT LIGHTS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by dakdogba on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
dakdogba

Postby meeotch » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Your post reminds me that it seems a LOTR liscense would have the exact same problems as the HP liscense had: too many locations and playsets, not enough vehicles.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Masta' Bo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:14 pm

Other then the lack of vehicles, new molds, and complex structures that would be needed for the license, this is the ultimate flaw:

The dwarf+hobbit minifigs.

Who seriously wants most of their figs with short, unmoveable legs?
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:07 pm

How is that the ultimate flaw? How is it a flaw at all? Of course people want them with the short legs...because they have short legs in the movies.
ThinkingImpaired

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:25 pm

Because the short legs are not jointed and useless.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby dakdogba » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:39 am

maybe because of the amout of short figs, lego could create a new piece with bending legs. also, the castle theme does't have many viehicles, lotr could be mixed with it for play and lego star wars seems to be more about playsets this year
dakdogba

Postby solo606 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:14 pm

I agree there will probably never be a LOTR line, unless they tie it in with the Peter Jackson Hobit movie when/if it ever comes out. That would be neat to see TLG's take on a Middle Earth Line.

I do really like what LEgo has done with Castle lately though, especially the Dwarves. Good Stuff.
solo606

Postby dakdogba » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 am

who doesn't want a UCS Helm's deep? or Minas Tirith.if lego don't renew the star wars licence in 2011 (gasp, shock horror, blasphmy on this site), they could switch to this.
dakdogba

Postby Jettbacca » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:39 am

Balin died? I haven't read any except for the Hobbit yet :( . A Dain, Smaug's cave or Lake Town would be great though.
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby Masta' Bo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:43 pm

Balin g0tz p'0awnedz. :)

TI, I said it is the worst flaw for half the figures would have those annoying shory legs. Jointed short legs don't really seem to be possible yet, but we can always hope.

Even if LEGO made this line, I don't think there'd be any UCS because we don't exactly see UCS anything but SW (with an exception: the UCS Batmobile).
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:05 pm

They should come out with a UCS Treebeard. :D
ThinkingImpaired

Next

Return to Licensed Themes