Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

WTFOMG?!? LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: WTFOMG?!? LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean?

Postby Tyrant » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:29 pm

jonutah wrote:But, I personally think doing sets for Sands of Time, Cars, Avatar, and the like is a mistake. I don't sense they sell particularly well and they move Lego toward a more run-of-the-mill "capitalize on this quick opportunity" brand like Mattel or Hasbro.

- Jon

Sands of Time was part of a package deal and it seemed to fit the LEGO brand (buildings, animals, characters, generic I know but that is what most of the LEGO themes boil down to) and if offered an opportunity to make Middle Eastern esque buidlings/settings without having to use something more politically charged (the Crusades, anything modern) so I understand why they would do it even if it seems like it didn't work out how they hoped. Presumably the movie was expected to do much better than it did as well. As for PotC, the first three were successful and popular and there is a fourth on the way. Barring a massive miscalculation at some point in the production, part 4 will be successful and presumably lead to more movies. This was one of the Disney licenses I would have specifically sought out were I in TLG's position.

As for comparisons to Hasbro or Mattel,(spoilered to avoid wall o' text for anyone not interested)
Spoiler: show
that seems like a poor comparison to me. Hasbro produces GIJoe and Transformers and has doing so since the early 80s with very few, and very brief breaks in production. GIJoe toys, for instance, have been produced every year from 82 to present except 95, 96, and 99. That's 25 years (out of 28) of production. I believe that is longer than a number of LEGO themes. They also produce Star Wars toys and have done so since the mid to late 90s (after the Kenner merger and before the release of the Special Editions), and we've already established that SW isn't a "quick opportunity". Those are on top of Play Doh and a number of games that have been around for at least as long as I have been alive. Mattel makes Barbie and Hot Wheels, both of which are long running lines. Both companies make licensed toys and seem to be the better for it while still making very long running lines for which they are quite well known. So, I honestly don't see what kind of comparison you are trying to make because botth companies are known for their long running lines and not their "flash in the pan" ventures, just like LEGO.

Maybe you are referring to the Iron Man toys. they are part of the deal with Marvel to produce their figures. Toy Biz did the same thing when they had the license. Iron Man toys alone aren't the end goal, the entire license is. Iron Man, XMen, Fantastic Four, SpiderMan, Avengers, etc. They all have movies or will have movies in the next couple of years. Similar to the Disney deal with TLG, I doubt they were after one specific brand. Rather, they were after the whole collection. In that light, they don't all have to be a smashing success for it to be considered an overall success.

As for the possibility of PotC LEGO sets, I say go for it. I liked the movies and I look forward to new ones. The figures of the crew of the Black Pearl and the crew of the Dutchman (both in monster form) would make nice figures. Those two ships would also make good sets if they make them somewhat accurate to their movie appearances. Playsets/locations might be a little short though. Off the top of my head I can only think of the island at the end of part 2 (with the abandoned buildings where everyone fought it out for the chest with the heart), various buildings in Port Royal, likewise with Tortuga, Feng's hideout/surroundings, the tiny island that Jack and Elizabeth are left on in the first movie with the Rum.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby GrayMattR » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:19 am

If a movie franchise has already made hundreds of millions of dollars and stands to make more hundreds of millions, there's no way LEGO would turn it down. Some LEGO purist fans complain about the licenses but like them or not, the Star Wars license alone kept LEGO company from going bankrupt in the early part of this decade. Besides, the licenses bring in great characters and useful new pieces. Nobody forces you to buy a set. I'm looking forward to seeing more Pirates stuff next year. I hope the skeleton/pirate figs are wicked cool.
GrayMattR

Postby dWhisper » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:38 am

MisterFubar wrote:Exactly, just look at how "great" the Prince of Persia sets are doing, I'm just wishing I would have known better and waited to buy the couple PoP parts packs I did on clearance.

That's actually a rarity around here. The PoP lines are going into the winter sets for retail stores, and still featured on an endcap at my local TRU. Space Police was on clearance, along with Indy, at Target. Walmart only cleared out the oldest of sets (and not even really all that many).

All of these are leading up to the winter resets that go into Christmas and start after back-to-school sales have wrapped up. That licensed lines are following a shorter cycle isn't that surprising, and certainly doesn't cheapen the brand any more than the waves we've had for more than a decade now do. Space Police, Power Miners, etc., all run on shorter cycles than the standards. That PoP and the like fit into that cycle isn't surprising. It just means that LEGO sets are exactly like all of the other toys.

And that works for retailers especially, who want to do resets of the entire section, not just all of them except LEGO.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Plo Koon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Maybe there is hope for some LOTR and KOTOR legos in the future then...

(I mean, POTC was all PG-13)
Plo Koon

Postby sabriyo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:43 pm

If this turns out to be true, here are my guesses of possible sets from the old movies :
1. Black Pearl
2. Flying Dutchman
3. Tortuga
4. Battle of Port Royal
5. Isla de Muerta hideout
6. Shipwreck Cove's fortress

Man, I think that's one theme I would be really interested in, besides Star Wars and the modular houses. I would probably buy any of the above sets.
sabriyo

Postby Robzula » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Plo Koon wrote:Maybe there is hope for some LOTR and KOTOR legos in the future then...

(I mean, POTC was all PG-13)

The reason we wouldn't get those themes isn't because they're too adult. For LotR they'd need to acquire yet another license which would really only play into that single theme which couldn't last very long and would ultimately not be worth it. For KotOR, they've shown in the past that EU sets don't sell very good, and with KotOR being past it's prime there's no cross promotion they could do, like the Rogue Shadow with TFU.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Coret » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:00 am

Actually KOTOR has nothing to do with "past it's prime" seeing as it is getting another game very shortly. So it could very likely get some sets from there just to advertise for it alone.
Coret

Postby twentythree » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:40 am

dWhisper wrote:
MisterFubar wrote:Exactly, just look at how "great" the Prince of Persia sets are doing, I'm just wishing I would have known better and waited to buy the couple PoP parts packs I did on clearance.

That's actually a rarity around here. The PoP lines are going into the winter sets for retail stores, and still featured on an endcap at my local TRU. Space Police was on clearance, along with Indy, at Target. Walmart only cleared out the oldest of sets (and not even really all that many).

All of these are leading up to the winter resets that go into Christmas and start after back-to-school sales have wrapped up. That licensed lines are following a shorter cycle isn't that surprising, and certainly doesn't cheapen the brand any more than the waves we've had for more than a decade now do. Space Police, Power Miners, etc., all run on shorter cycles than the standards. That PoP and the like fit into that cycle isn't surprising. It just means that LEGO sets are exactly like all of the other toys.

And that works for retailers especially, who want to do resets of the entire section, not just all of them except LEGO.

I think MisterFubar was trying to say that he regrets getting the PoP sets before they go on clearance.
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby michealwillard » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:54 pm

Well it does make sense from several angles. They cancelled the new Pirates line rather abruptly and prematurely. And now that they have that big Disney licence agreement, it opens up a lot of new lines. This could be pretty cool. Unfortunately with the huge amount of high priced star wars sets, I've had to stop buying any other lines. Except for a few small Kingdoms sets here and there. I'll probably pick up the $7-10 sets of the PotC line.
michealwillard

Postby banthafodder » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:52 pm

I asked several employees at comic con about this fig when I saw it in the case. None of them knew that it was even there. I would really look forward to this line as it would give us some great sets and minifigs.
banthafodder

Postby rocksteady » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:12 am

Hopefully this is REAL.

Anyone remember this forum topic 'The Lego Group & Disney Announce Licensing Agreement'. Well if you check it out, I predicted Lego's agreement = one step closer to a POTC sets! woot woot. Thats my two cents worth doubters!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=315&start=60 (page 4) posted on May 14, 2009
rocksteady

Postby jonutah » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:43 am

I think LOTR sets would be great and, just with POTC, would fit nicely into the Knights/Kingdoms area. Maybe with the Hobbit coming out in the next couple of years...But, LOTR doesn't really crossover to the young kids the way that Star Wars and Harry Potter does.
jonutah

Postby Master Fetty » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:42 pm

jonutah, I have some bad news - 'The Hobbit' has been put on ice. Guillermo Del Torro has left the project and it has yet to be picked up by a studio. That's the problem with going into pre-production before a studio attatches itself.
Master Fetty

Postby legodeathstrike » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:38 am

rocksteady wrote:Hopefully this is REAL.

Anyone remember this forum topic 'The Lego Group & Disney Announce Licensing Agreement'. Well if you check it out, I predicted Lego's agreement = one step closer to a POTC sets! woot woot. Thats my two cents worth doubters!

Nice catch!
legodeathstrike

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:36 am

Like Ryan (Chief) mentioned, the fact that this fig doesn't look like a finished product from LEGO doesn't mean that it's not an actual prototype from LEGO. Prototypes shown in previous toy fairs by LEGO have featured the same type of unfinished looks that this fig has. Anyway, since it showed up in LEGO's display case, it's pretty hard to believe it doesn't come from them.

Does that actually mean that LEGO will be producing PotC sets? Given the agreement between LEGO and Disney, the fact that Toy Story sets are doing very well and that there is a PotC 4 in the works, I think it is highly possible.
Daz Hoo

Postby Gooker1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:32 am

This is DEFINITELY REAL. I was at Comic-Con and spoke to a Lego marketing rep at their booth, and they wanted to throw in this little easter egg for the SDCC attendees. Only two or three came up to this particular one to talk about it. Most people just saw it as an afterthought mixed in the PoP sets. Lego is excited to get this stuff out, expect it sometime next year.
Gooker1

Postby rocksteady » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:59 pm

Gooker1 wrote:

This is DEFINITELY REAL. I was at Comic-Con and spoke to a Lego marketing rep at their booth, and they wanted to throw in this little easter egg for the SDCC attendees. Only two or three came up to this particular one to talk about it. Most people just saw it as an afterthought mixed in the PoP sets. Lego is excited to get this stuff out, expect it sometime next year.

I guess I'll hold off getting the imperial flagship and save the doller bills for a black pearl set....Can't wait!
rocksteady

Postby onions » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:02 am

You should get the flagship anyway. it is a beaut.

besides, LEGO POTC sets probably won't hit until 2011 at the earliest.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby meeotch » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:11 am

On the BB post about this, there's a quote from the LEGO rep that basically said that [it'll be a 2011 line].
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby onions » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:04 pm

yeah, it's pretty much a new line. but let's remember the important thing: you heard it here first!
onions
Damp Noodle

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes