Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

WTFOMG?!? LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: WTFOMG?!? LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean?

Postby Marty » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:39 am

Great! Finally we get Jack! But what about Jeffery Rush's character.
I think his character, along with his crew or the damned was much better, not to mention the Black pearl?
I wonder also if we'll get the compass, now that would be interesting, as I remember seeing one on an old Lego set, years ago.
If I remember correctly, it actually worked, and it wouldn't take much for a chest of coins with a magnet in them that would attract the compass. Though as far as themes go this one although a bit late, (Lego & Disney took their time!) would be a real winner judging by Jack's minifigure.
Not sure about the camel though?
Marty

Postby Bellicose » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:26 am

The 4th movie is filming right now here in Hawaii.
Bellicose

Postby MisterFubar » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:35 am

I'm going to laugh when it turns out to be a custom one off that someone put in the display as a joke.
MisterFubar

Postby jonutah » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:55 am

Maybe its me, but I think it cheapens the Lego brand to have continual movie tie-ins. I can see it for movies/stories that have stood the test of time (Star Wars, Harry Potter). But, I personally think doing sets for Sands of Time, Cars, Avatar, and the like is a mistake. I don't sense they sell particularly well and they move Lego toward a more run-of-the-mill "capitalize on this quick opportunity" brand like Mattel or Hasbro.

- Jon
jonutah

Postby MisterFubar » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 am

jonutah wrote:Maybe its me, but I think it cheapens the Lego brand to have continual movie tie-ins. I can see it for movies/stories that have stood the test of time (Star Wars, Harry Potter). But, I personally think doing sets for Sands of Time, Cars, Avatar, and the like is a mistake. I don't sense they sell particularly well and they move Lego toward a more run-of-the-mill "capitalize on this quick opportunity" brand like Mattel or Hasbro.

- Jon

Exactly, just look at how "great" the Prince of Persia sets are doing, I'm just wishing I would have known better and waited to buy the couple PoP parts packs I did on clearance. Cars on the other hand, is a huge brand and was a good move for Lego, especially with a sequel coming out. That movie is 4 years old and still sells a ton of merchandise, and I don't know a kid under 10 who doesn't love that movie.
MisterFubar

Postby Chief » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:08 am

regarding the low quality of the Jack Sparrow minifig seen here: early prototypes like tend to have a rough unfinished appearance, and are probably not made out of ABS. IIRC the first camel images we saw had the same textured look, and that's obviously not the final version we got :P
Chief

Postby Jabba the Taff » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:17 am

Marty wrote:Great! Finally we get Jack! But what about Jeffery Rush's character.
I think his character, along with his crew or the damned was much better, not to mention the Black pearl?
I wonder also if we'll get the compass, now that would be interesting, as I remember seeing one on an old Lego set, years ago.
If I remember correctly, it actually worked, and it wouldn't take much for a chest of coins with a magnet in them that would attract the compass. Though as far as themes go this one although a bit late, (Lego & Disney took their time!) would be a real winner judging by Jack's minifigure.
Not sure about the camel though?

I expect they'll want to do POTC:Classic just like they did with Indiana Jones when the KOTCS came out. It all depends on the license agreement Disney had with MegaBlocks. But Lego have had no problem with taking over the Cars license.
Jabba the Taff

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:26 am

I wonder if we'll see the same beautiful figs like from the PoP line...
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Eccohawk » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:58 am

The fourth movie, On Stranger Tides, is the beginning of a new trilogy of films for PotC. Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly aren't in the new ones, but they've brought in a new character played by Penelope Cruz as a new love interest for Jack, I believe. I believe the new trilogy also focuses more on Barbossa and his crew as well.

As far as the fig goes, this definitely strikes me as a one-off custom more than an actual fig LEGO would release. They've never really done non-plastic hair. The new collector's series clown fig, for example, could have used a softer fuzzy hairpiece, but didn't. I guess anything's possible, but i think getting into more realistic hairpieces just makes it creepy, not fun.
Eccohawk

Postby BlueDragonZ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks for the news. Front Paged.
BlueDragonZ

Postby Andi » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:31 am

Why is Jack Sparrow riding on a camel?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby that guy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:44 am

MisterFubar wrote:
jonutah wrote:Maybe its me, but I think it cheapens the Lego brand to have continual movie tie-ins. I can see it for movies/stories that have stood the test of time (Star Wars, Harry Potter). But, I personally think doing sets for Sands of Time, Cars, Avatar, and the like is a mistake. I don't sense they sell particularly well and they move Lego toward a more run-of-the-mill "capitalize on this quick opportunity" brand like Mattel or Hasbro.

- Jon

Exactly, just look at how "great" the Prince of Persia sets are doing, I'm just wishing I would have known better and waited to buy the couple PoP parts packs I did on clearance. Cars on the other hand, is a huge brand and was a good move for Lego, especially with a sequel coming out. That movie is 4 years old and still sells a ton of merchandise, and I don't know a kid under 10 who doesn't love that movie.

I couldn't agree more about POP. I think it's destined to replace Avatar as the fastest theme to exit the Lego market based on Walmart, TRU, and countless other blowing them out faster than waking up next to some "double bagger" you brought home late at night after way too many drinks. That being said, there are some really cool pieces that came out of those sets, but still, maybe they should wait to see if a movie stays in the theaters longer than a week before committing the resources to it.
that guy

Postby mandalorian_marshall » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:42 pm

MisterFubar wrote:
mandalorian_marshall wrote:
Blacknight wrote: ...It's one of the reasons the new pirates theme was terminated early.

I wondered about that. I'm excited about this so long as we get a Davy Jones minifig. That would be just sweet. :)

Wait... what?

:lol: :lol:

Wow, that is so not what I meant. :lol:
As much as I doubt that we'll ever see Halo Lego sets, if anything ever convinced me to buy MegaBlocks, that would be it.
mandalorian_marshall

Postby THX 1138 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Lego POTC would be awesome! I've always loved the movies. I used to try to make Lego models based on them.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby GIR3691 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:09 pm

That would explain why the last Pirates line disappeared so abruptly. Glad to see we are getting something pirate-related.

That's exactly what I pictured a POTC minifig would look like. I'm curious what the undead pirates from POTC 1 will look like (assuming they go the Indiana Jones/ Toy Story route and do sets from the older films as well as the new one.)
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby OOM-9 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:04 pm

FAKE!!!... Naw just kidding ;) I think the figure looks great, I can't wait to see the ships too. Unless this is some cruel, sick joke.
OOM-9

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:00 pm

MisterFubar,

You officially win this thread.

I mean, not only did somehow know about that musicians existance, but you managed to find a picture of him with a "wait... what" expression on his face to tie in to your post. Well played!! :lol: LOL-asaurous Rex :lol:
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby jm72076 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Zombies = Awesome
Pirates = Awesome
Minifigs = Awesome

Pirate Minifigs = Double Awesome
Zombie Minifigs = Double Awesome
Pirate Zombies = Double Awesome

Pirate Zombie Minifigs?

...I think I just wet myself...
jm72076

Postby KarolRabalski » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14 pm

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean?

Noooooooooooooooo.......

First of all, MegaBloks had that terrible franchise covered.

Second of all, why are they making another movie? (Rhetorical question, I know, it's to make money) BUT STILL. The first one was the only good one, and the second was allright...but the third was just so bad....

But yeah...those LEGO dreadlocks? Sweet... :D
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby GIR3691 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:21 pm

A bad movie that makes several metric tons of money is generally still followed by a sequel.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes