Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Spider-Man Sets?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: New Spider-Man Sets?

Postby ka.lego » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:32 pm

D'oh. I saw that the attempt to revive this thread was nixed. Good catch, Draykov. I really wanted to reply, but realized it was locked...took me a while to figure out why, but then.... Ah ha! Hahaha. Curious why you were so interested in rehashing, DrippingWaters? Big Spidey fan?

Anyway, since I missed this convo the first time around, thought I'd share something I posted on Eurobricks today that's related to the idea of seeing LEGO sets based on Marvel properties. The "quick summary (sorry I'm wordy) is that there might be a sideways chance via Disney (mentioned above, I know) who may need to be convinced via a successful licensed theme. Prince of Persia may not have been the best example of "successful", though honestly I have no knowledge of how well they sold other than an admittedly non-scientific survey of the sets I've seen sitting on retailers' shelves. I do know the film made $335 million worldwide (only $90 mil in US) off of a $200 mil budget...that's better than the $30 mil lost on Speed Racer, and that saw a LEGO license. Ha. Weird.

But I digress. My post in Eurobricks' "Dream Licenses" topic speaks more about the potential of the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean sets as well as a hypothetical TRON license. There's no indication from LEGO or Disney of such a line...only that they made a decent amount of money and are moving forward with a big animated series and potentially film sequels. I'm thinking if Disney does well with POTC LEGO, they may be willing to explore other licenses...not rocket science really, just good business. Perhaps this could be a path to seeing other Marvel properties, like Spider-man, but more realistically to support the slew of 2011 and 2012 Marvel films—Thor, Cap, Avengers, etc, not to mention the successful Iron Man flicks. Not sure if the aforementioned messy Spiderman property stuff still stands. Hell, if they're doing that silly U2 / Taymor Broadway musical, why not give LEGO another shot? Ha. As for the MegaBlox thing, I'm sure Disney lawyers could do what they do best and take care of all that if the Mouse smelled $$$ in future Marvel LEGO sets. Or maybe it's a situation like MegaBloks' license with the POTC films where it's a per-film deal. (Why anyone would cheapen their property by licensing to a MegaBlahks vs. TLG is beyond me. Even if for some reason you can't get TLG to bite, don't make a building toy at all cuz it'll just dilute the property, giving it a "second-rate" vibe. Just sayin. Whole other topic.)

The Eurobricks post:
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21141&st=450&p=904286&#entry904286
ka.lego

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes