Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Spider-Man Sets?

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

New Spider-Man Sets?

Postby DrippingWaters » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 am

Hi there! Not to waste your time, but this is my first post, so try not to rip it apart.
Anyways, it's finally been confirmed that Sony will be rebooting the Spider-Man franchise with new actors and Marc Webb as the director. I was wondering if anyone knew when the MegaBlock's license ended, because that would be a good opportunity to see more Spider-Man sets IMO. Just wondering if anyone had any details or suggestions, thanks.
"I still got it!" - Ralph Malph, Happy Days
DrippingWaters

Re: New Spider-Man Sets?

Postby CitySlicker2009 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 am

lol okay seriously the first spiderman francise sucked and ever since warner bros made its epic the dark knight movie companies have been trying to trump them , sony should just give up.
CitySlicker2009

Postby Jargon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:27 am

A few points of criticism for Mr. CitySlicker2009:
1. The title of this thread reads "New Spider-Man Sets?", and is clearly focused on the possibility of a LEGO license, which your post does not address at all.
2. The first Spider-Man franchise sucked? Say what you will about the third movie (it deserves a lot of hate), but the first two were pretty good films - audiences and critics agree.
3. Actually, movie companies are always trying to trump each other. That's how capitalism works. The release of the Dark Knight in 2007 didn't start this.
4. Sony should just give up? Worst advice ever. You seem to assume that The Dark Knight is the pinnacle of film, never to be surpassed. Besides, following such advice would mean no more new movies. Do you really want to watch The Dark Knight exclusively?
5. Grammar is your friend. So is this: How to write posts, make friends, and influence people. At the moment, you're coming off as ignorant and obnoxious. Learn from the situation and people will see you differently in the future.
Jargon

Postby Crusader » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:40 am

I would be surprised if Lego would pursue future Spider Man sets. Lego seems to do licensed properties best when they revolve around vehicles like Star Wars, Batman and Indiana Jones for the most part. Only very recently have they tried to make playsets again. Perhaps the new Prince of Persia sets may not have seemed like such a stretch for Lego since they are similar to castle sets.

Anything is possible of course, but if you really like Spiderman Lego, Ebay and Bricklink may be the best you can hope for.

And, yes the first two Spiderman movies were great.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby DrippingWaters » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 am

Sucked? They were great! The third, well, that's a different story. However, TDK is probably up there on my list of movies. I have three of the old Spidey sets, and they're pretty good, but I can't help wondering, if the new movie is good, whether LEGO will consider releasing some new sets. Or at the very least consider how very stupid it was to let the license go in the first place. I didn't thoroughly enjoy the third movie or anything, but I know a lot of people (including myself) who would have bought sets based around it nonetheless.
"I still got it!" - Ralph Malph, Happy Days
DrippingWaters

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:24 am

Didn't Marvel sign a deal with Megablocks when the licensed with LEGO expired?

If so, that would be a major obstacle in LEGO releasing any Spiderman sets in the near future...
Daz Hoo

Postby scottcos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:39 am

Spider-Man licensing is a bit of a quagmire, which is why it took so long to finally come out with the first movie. Sony owns the rights to the motion picture franchise, and that is who LEGO contracted with for the sets released based on the first two movies. To emphasize this point, LEGO put these sets into their Studio line, which was geared toward stop motion movie making with their web cam software. Marvel maintains the rights to the characters themselves, so the current line of MegaBlox sets are based on the characters as seen in the comic books.

All that to get to the point that a new license would most likely strain the MegaBlox/Marvel relationship, so I don't see it happening.

-Scott
scottcos

Postby GrayMattR » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:59 pm

I don't know the status of the MegaBlox/Marvel license but since Disney bought Marvel last year and Disney has been licensing to LEGO, it's not impossible. We'll probably have to wait until the movie has completed shooting before knowing more. I loved the Spider-Man sets LEGO did.
GrayMattR

Postby SuperDave » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:40 am

scottcos wrote:Spider-Man licensing is a bit of a quagmire

GrayMattR wrote:I don't know the status of the MegaBlox/Marvel license but since Disney bought Marvel last year and Disney has been licensing to LEGO, it's not impossible.

Disney, Lego, Sony, Lego, Marvel, Mega, Marvel, Disney, back to Lego, back to Marvel....
See also: quagmire.
SuperDave

Postby Marty » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:47 am

Having read this post, I thought I add my bit, Spiderman Lego sets (of which I owned most) where pretty good, as far as Lego sets go, certainly heaps better than the mega blocks versions. Though I have to say they both followed a different approach as with Batman.
I remember the generations set, which was where parker turned into spiderman & the guy turned into the green goblin, this was one of the better sets. Also the train fight where Doc Oct & spidie battle, these showed that Lego could do the sets well, there are others but to say they sucked is a bit much! They have been well thought out, and a lot of effort went into them.
I know there is probably another movie coming out, and I'm sure if it is popular Lego will release sets on this theme again, after all they pickup Harry Potter, and look what they done with that!
Marty

Postby GregHyland » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:21 am

Oh, the things I'm legally contracted not to say about this thread...
Greg Hyland
"You'll thank me when you share my politics"
http://www.lethargiclad.com
GregHyland

Postby RogueJedi007 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:00 pm

GregHyland wrote:Oh, the things I'm legally contracted not to say about this thread...

Sometimes there is more meaning to what you don't say.... ;)

Since Spiderman is now under the Disney corp, and Lego has rights to do Disney sets, it probably isn't such a crazy idea that we may get more Spiderman sets, maybe Xmen sets? Maybe Avengers sets?!?
=========================================================================
We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers.
RogueJedi007

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Since most superhero stuff is just super characters in environments very similar to stuff we've seen in themes like City, Exo-Force, Agents, etc., one wonders why they'd even bother trying to release sets/themes around any heroes that aren't Batman ("oh, let me hop in the Batmobile and head down to the Batcave to pick up my Batplane...the Batcopter is in the shop"). Seems like marketing a figs only assortment might be the way to go.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby cleverusername » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Draykov wrote:Seems like marketing a figs only assortment might be the way to go.
Buying the figs only would be great; I think the Star Wars Battle Packs have been cool, and the collectible minifigs look awesome. I was under the impression that for licensed figures, they could not be sold individually as this is competition with the action figure market. In the SW Battle Packs, I wonder if we get the vehicles as a way of getting around a no figs-only rule, if it actually exists.
cleverusername

Postby The Brain » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Yes, that is precisely why the battlepacks have the little vehicles.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Werd...though this is specifically the way it works for the SW license. Marvel/DC licenses may be different (though, there's no reason to expect them to be). However, if they can do little Kubricks dudes...ya never know. That seems to be the most compelling reason to have to have sets associated with these types of characters though: licensing.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby meeotch » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:34 pm

I personally wouldn't expect a Marvel license to be treated differently from SW. Those Kubricks seem to be meant for the Japanese market only, which would affect licensing. But I don't see why Marvel would view LEGO's "infringement" of their Marvel license any differently than they do the SW license.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby SuperDave » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:30 am

Hasbro makes Marvel action figures. Hasbro makes Star Wars action figures. Hasbro is likely to have a licensing arrangement with Marvel/Disney that prohibits competition in the action figure market. Ergo, we aren't likely to see minifig packs in Marvel licenses.
SuperDave

Postby Robzula » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:02 am

Heck, I'm cool with more City stuff. Throw in a super hero\villain or two and it's a hundred times better!
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby RogueJedi007 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:57 pm

Robzula wrote:Heck, I'm cool with more City stuff. Throw in a super hero\villain or two and it's a hundred times better!

Agreed. If the town/city sets are done as well as the Toy Story ones are, then they would be great. The Toy Story pizza delivery truck and dump truck are some of the nicest City sets Lego has released in a long time, and those sets are made better with the nice TS minifigs. If Lego does the same thing with Superheros then they will be enjoyed by Superhero fans as well as town/city fans.
We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers.
RogueJedi007

Next

Return to Licensed Themes