Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Nolan Batman Film Confirmed, Hope For New Batman Sets

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

New Nolan Batman Film Confirmed, Hope For New Batman Sets

Postby Staff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:02 am

This io9.com article reports that Christopher Nolan's third Batman film is no longer in the planning stages and is now in production, according to an interview with Warner Brothers President Jeff Robinov published on NYTimes.com. This is pure speculation on my part and while this doesn't necessarily guarantee new LEGO Batman sets are on the way, it could possibly breathe a little more life into the license enough for the decision makers that be at LEGO to reconsider. Last I had heard, LEGO still has or had the license but chose not to continue the line because it was, financially speaking, a failure. It wasn't until the LEGO Batman game came around that its popularity peaked and demand went through the roof, but by then it was way too late.

Still, with a Wonder Woman movie in the works, maybe LEGO can work something out with DC/Warner Bros. for an accompanying toy line.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/02/10/new-nolan-batman-film-confirmed-hope-for-new-batman-sets/
Staff

Re: New Nolan Batman Film Confirmed, Hope For New Batman Sets

Postby Big C » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Nolan was also asked to "mentor" for a Superman reboot. Not really sure what LEGO could do with that if things go well enough there, but it would be sweet to see a little Justice League action. Or at least "World's Finest."
Big C

Postby Darth Kooku » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:35 pm

I think the reason for the dismal sales of Batman Lego line was that the sets were released well ahead of the new Batman series with Christian Bale. If I remember correctly, some of the Batman Lego sets had been released and even sold out and out of production before the first Bale Batman movie was released. I think Lego simply released the sets too soon for movie goers to know what the Lego sets were designed from.
Darth Kooku

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:49 pm

I remember getting the tumbler set after Dark Knight came out. The sets mostly were on shelves between the two Nolan films; 2006-2008. From what I could tell, they sold pretty well. They were hard to find, especially after each new wave. I should have picked up the Two-Face set... and the Bat-tank... and the Bat-cave when it was on clearance for around $50. If only I had the money at the time.

Ah well. I'd love to see the line continue. It was a shock that it ended when there was so much left to do. Despite Batman being my favorite super hero, the majority of the sets never really appealed to me, whether it be design or price. Had I known the ridiculously short run of these, and their subsequent explosions in value, I would have gotten more into the series.

I would love to see a Marvel line of figures, as I am not a huge fan of the other DC characters, and we aren't going to see a Watchmen line. Never got around to getting the Spiderman sets either. A couple of those were cool.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby UOldPirate » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:09 pm

As much as I would love to see new Batman sets, personally I doubt a new Batman film would be the reason for reviving the line. When Steve Witt did that LAMLradio interview in Dec 2008, he briefly touched on the reason why the Harry Potter line went away and why there were so few Dark Knight sets. In a nutshell, part of the problem was the movies weren't really targeted at the same audience as the companion Lego products. You can listen for yourself here (skip to about 21:40):

http://radio.laml.org/lamlradio-71-steve-witt/

Unless Christopher Nolan makes a drastically different movie than the Dark Knight (please no!), Lego would be in the same predicament again. I would think we'd have a better chance in seeing new sets if TT does a Lego Batman 2 video game, just like the Harry Potter line is getting resurrected with the new video games. Just my 2 cents.
UOldPirate

Postby Marty » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Loved the Batman series, but like most, wasn't aware of the sets until it was too late.
I did manage to get the Bat boat, Bat car with two-face, Harlequin & Arkum.
I count myself lucky, as most never saw these sets.
With trades an so forth (not-the-mention) the magnet sets, I managed to pick-up all the characters including Bane!
I think Lego could have done more with this theme, and judging by the sales, it was surprising that it had such a short life span.
Hopefully with the new movie things might be better, and Lego might re-release some of the older sets as well as the characters in the Lego Batman game book by Prima, one's of interest are Commissioner Gordon, Clayface, Hush, Killer moth, The man bat, the Mad hatter & Ra's-Al-Ghul.

You never know, it could happen, cheers Marty
Marty

Return to Licensed Themes